Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Plane Decision

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Plane Decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 04:12 PM
DJJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Plane Decision

My Tiger 2 has been in the air now 5 beautiful, flawless flights. Now is the time to start getting the next plane ready. I'm looking at 2, both ARF's. I like the Hanger 9 T-34 Mentor .40 ARF powered by a Saito .72 4 stroke and the Great Planes Lancair ES .60 ARF powered by a Saito .91 4 stroke. I'm having difficulty deciding and just wanted others opinions and why. I know that the Lancair and engine is about $100 more than the T-34. Not really an issue. What are everyone's thoughts ?

Thank you,

-DJJ
Old 12-23-2003, 05:14 PM
ZimboRaider

Default RE: New Plane Decision

Only five flights and you're already looking at a new plane??[&:]

Slow down mate and enjoy it while it lasts...

Oh, can you send me $50 bucks
Old 12-23-2003, 05:29 PM
CafeenMan

Man... Zimbo - give the guy a break. When I finished my first plane, I started my second plane the same day. I'm always thinking 4 planes or more down the road.

Build or die!
Old 12-23-2003, 05:47 PM
DJJ

Thanks guys !! Na, I just like a little variety. Plus I can't wait to get my hands on a 4 stroke...

-DJJ
Old 12-23-2003, 06:04 PM
aimmaintenance

Without giving these guys some idea of the type of flying your looking to do it will be hard for them to give advice or suggestions.
I.E.
scale like flying
aerobatics
3D
slow and lazy
etc.

I could give you second plane advice but to me, your already flyin it. hehehe
Old 12-23-2003, 06:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI DJJ! I just saw an awesome demo done by a HANGAR9 FUNTANA 40 powered by a SAITO .72 4 stroke. The combo costs roughly $400. Dollar for dollar pretty hard to beat! With a 14-4 APC prop it was a perfect match. The engine only needed to be nudged a little to fire up.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:25 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

FUNTANA IS GREAT BUT I WOULD GET A PROFILE!!! THE CG Extreme 330 is a great plane to learn 3D...Please tell us what kind of plane you are looking for(TYPE?)

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-23-2003, 06:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI MAVRIK! You're right about profiles. If I had my model flying career to do over I would have gone the MORRIS HOBBIES route alot sooner. But when I suggest profile to a lot of guys, all I get back is a nauseated look! They can be done up to look spectacular. The real beauty of a profile is the simplicity and abusive handling they can take. Much easier to repair also.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Me no like profile look either.

DJJ, is your Tger your 1st plane?

Any tips on construction after nosegear mounting block is mounted?

Thanx.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:53 AM
rider_89

LOL....I am doing the same thing, my trainer is still in the box and I am looking for another plane....

Good Job,
Rider
Old 12-24-2003, 08:29 AM
ksechler

Let me first apologize for not answering directly. You may have your mind set on one of these two airplanes, but if you don't you might want to consider this alternative:

Since you have the Tiger up and flying why not depart from the ARF world and do something that takes a little more time? Buy a kit and put it together. It is very gratifying to see something YOU built take to the air. It also gives you the competence to make repairs after the inevitable crash.

I recently built a GP RV-4 which is very similar in size and performance to the T-34. The kit makes use of a lot of slots and tabs so it is pretty easy to get the alignment on. This isn't the easiest kit to build but if you follow the directions you'll pull it off ok.
Building yourself has a lot of benefits. There's a much wider selection, you know how to make repairs, and it gives you somthing to do in the evenings or when the weather sucks.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:15 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: ksechler

Building yourself has a lot of benefits. There's a much wider selection, you know how to make repairs, and it gives you somthing to do in the evenings or when the weather sucks.
... and it makes you a fundamentally better person than people who fly ARF's.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:59 AM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

i dont know what i am i build kits arfs scratch spads arc's i'm screwed up the only thing i havnt done yet is an RTF.....my next plane is a gasser spad then i'm building a compo pattern model from the basic kit.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:06 AM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ksechler
Let me first apologize for not answering directly. You may have your mind set on one of these two airplanes, but if you don't you might want to consider this alternative:
I agree with ksechler. I built my first kit while I was learning (Still learning) on my trainer. I built a Top Flite Gold Edition Contender and powered it with a .91 SAITO. It has only been test run so far and next flying season will see it's maiden flight. Building a kit gives you the chance to see what you need to do when you "Hard Land" your trainer.

Here is the link to my building process, it was fun and RCU members added their input.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_52.../tm.htm#521128

I also have the rest of my "Airforce" pictured in my gallery. When it's cold and nasty build, when it's warm and nice fly! (I have a Balsa USA .60 Eindecker on the bench now, I guess I like to build)

Just my two cents worth.

Al
Old 12-26-2003, 12:37 PM
DJJ

Hi guys. Thanks for all the reply's. To answer a few questions - My current Tiger 2 I built and it is my fourth plane. My first was a Tiger 2 given to me and I wrecked it pretty good when I first started in R/C. Second was a Goldberg Super Chipmunk that I also built and didn't last too long. Too much for me at the time. Third plane was a Goldberg Eagle 2 which was an awesome trainer. Had that for 6 years. I've built all these planes and was looking for something that won't take so much time to get in the air (family responsibilities, kids) and something that I could use for scale-like flying. I want to get into the 4 stroke scene.

-DJJ