Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Park flyer for da beginner?!?!?!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Park flyer for da beginner?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 11:41 PM
ZimboRaider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park flyer for da beginner?!?!?!

Hey everybody,
I have been promised an Eagle 2, radio and engine but the guy is taking ages to deliver it(he said he would deliver it 4 months ago!) I have an instructor and club all lined up but I have to travel 45mins to it and itds the nearest club[&o]

Heres my my problem, I would like an aeroplane that I could fly in the local park, sportsfield whatever that is 2ch+ and suitable for a beginner to build and fly. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention it to be inexpensive and almost indestructable??
Well, I have been looking a gliders made by a local company(Canterbury Sailplanes-www.flycs.com) but I would kinda like a powered one
Any suggestions would be welcome
Old 12-24-2003, 01:02 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Park flyer for da beginner?!?!?!

HI ZIMBORAIDER! Do a search on EPP Foam gliders. EPP is a spongelike foam and is very forgiving. The TOWER HOBBIES catalog has a section on foam gliders.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:12 AM
ZimboRaider

Heey combatpigg,
The local gliders I am looking at are made from EPP annd are 2ch(ail, elev)
They are bungeee launched so I can launch them in a park
Old 12-24-2003, 08:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HEY ZIMBO! Some guys have fun converting those cheap styrofoam " drug store" gliders to RC with either electric, or .061 pwer. Foam compatible CA glue or EPOXY works on this stuff, as well as any wood glue. You can create your own control surfaces by slicing the foam with a razor knife and putting a bevel on the flap with a sanding sponge.Use EZ hinges cut in half lengthwise. Control horns can be made out of circuit board material,or 1/16" plywood, or even plastic if you roughen it up before gluing. Make the push rods out of 1/16" welding rod with a V shaped kink in the wire to make adjustments with. Push the servos into undersized holes cut in the foam with a dab of CA glue. The foam has to be fuel proofed with water based poly urethane paint. Believe it or not the SR71 "drug store" glider makes a pretty good one to fool around with! Have fun!
Old 12-24-2003, 10:29 PM
ZimboRaider

Yeah I heard about conversions form unpowered to powered. The thing is these local ones arent cheap!! $155 NZ -$95US for a glider that is pretty primitive and looks like its been chewed to shape!!

I look at Tower maybe for a motorised with pusher engine or folding prop. I dont mind maybe spending a bit more for absoloute quality!!
Any suggestions??