Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

4 * 40 Throttle cable

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4 * 40 Throttle cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 09:35 PM
wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 * 40 Throttle cable

Hello,

It says in the instuction for my 4*40 to solder the solder servo connector onto the throttle cable for the servo, and to put a threaded connector on the other end. I am confused, how do you put a threaded connector on the cable?

Also, the whole time I have been building my plane I have been planning on using my Evo .46 NT. I noticed on the plans it doesn't recommend an enginer over .40. Will my engine be too powerful?

One more question... I soldered a new antenna wire on my RX. I ordered the wire that was recommended for my RX. However, the new wire is 2 to 3 inches longer than the old one. Will this be problem?

Thanks guys, I hope you had a Great Christmas and got a lot of RC gifts,

Wings
Old 12-25-2003, 10:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 4 * 40 Throttle cable

HI WINGS! Let's answer the easiest question first. Don't worry about the power issue. If you get into a HI-SPEED situation with any plane that you are flying and you sense that something is not right, always be MENTALLY PREPARED to throttle back! The throttle linkage issue can be solved with a heavy duty solder iron or gun, some paste flux and 50/50 solder from RADIO SHACK. The trick is to hold everything together motionless while you transfer the heat, and allow it to cool before anything moves. An EZ connector somewhere in this equation can make things easier to setup. If you would like to bypass this solder stuff, just buy some 1/16" music wire and hook it up to the servo and throttle arms with Z bends. Make a V shaped "kink" in the wire somewhere in the middle and that will be where you make your fine adjustments. If you have any slop in this setup that interferes with throttle response you will have to place a guide of some kind over the wire. You should be able to have 6 inches of unsupported wire to make this idea work. The antenna can be any where from 38 to 40" with no measurable loss in performance. I fly combat, and use RADIO SHACK 22 gauge wire for my field repairs. There will undoubtedly be radio guys who chime in with all kinds of "sweaty palm" advise about splicing, but I have flown with only 2 ft of antenna left, and didn't know it untill after I landed.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:02 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wings,

See the pic below about the throttle cable.

The Evo .46 NT should be ok.

The antenna should be ok too if you got the replacement from the company that made the radio.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54653.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	85180  
Old 12-26-2003, 04:06 AM
ZimboRaider

Hey wings,

I remeber you said you were going to get some covering tools for xmas?? Did you get them??
I just got some money so that willhelp towards the addict...., I mean hobby!!

,Happy new year everyone
Old 12-26-2003, 11:50 AM
CafeenMan

Personally I don't like EZ connectors anywhere in my plane. THey're inherently sloppy and can come loose. They're ok for throttles but I wouldn't even use them there.

As an aside, never ever use an EZ connector on a flight surface - a lot of ARF's come with them and they should be pulled and replaced with a better connecter.

Here's some info about throttle linkages from my website:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...le_linkage.htm
Old 12-26-2003, 07:38 PM
wings

Thanks for taking time for making me that sketch. It helps a lot. The instructions for my 4 * have been pretty good. However, there are a few places that are not explained well and that is one. I appreciate it.

Zimbo Raider,

Ya, my wife is great, I got all kinds of RC stuff for Christmas including covering tools.

I've really enjoyed building my 4* , I am almost done. However, I am getting to the point where I just want it done. As much as I enjoyed working on it, maybe my next plane will be an ARF because I definetely have not saved any money by going the kit route. Is this a normal feeling towards the end of a project? Hopefully after it is done for a few weeks I may get motivated to build another, but now, I am kinda burned out on it.

I am the type of person that gets addicted to something. I've been working on it on every bit of spare time I have, even staying up late. I guess maybe if I'd just take my time more, I wouldn't get as burned out.

Well, thanks guys.

Hope you had a great Christmas..

Wings
Old 12-26-2003, 11:21 PM
wings

Hey,

I have one more stupid question. How do you attach the brass threaded connecter? Do you just pinch it with a pair of plyers or do you solder it also?

Thanks,

Wings
Old 12-26-2003, 11:28 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Solder it. This is done with the tube installed in the fuse and the cable in the tube. I could go into a more extensive discussion of this entire procedure if you want. Let me know.

George
Old 12-27-2003, 12:36 AM
Stick Jammer

wings,
With the price of quality ARF's where they are now, you won't typically save any money by building. You will however get a much bigger feeling of accomplishment. It just depends what you want more. I like building over the winter months. I like to fly the rest of the time.