Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

clean up product

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

clean up product

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 04:05 PM
nilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clean up product

I need help on choosing a product to clean up my plane after flight, like oild from muffler and all fuselage in general.
I tried the one for glass that I use for my car's windshield and the one my wife uses in the kitchen but none clear the after burn oil.

Thanks,

Nilo
Old 12-26-2003, 04:37 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default RE: clean up product

AT the field I use swipes or a mix of simple green and water,if there's junk that is tough then at the hangar I'll use acetone or alcohol. Leaving too much alcohol or acetone can loosen seams and decals,most everyone has there magic cleaner,experiment and use the one you like
Old 12-26-2003, 09:51 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to mix a bit of window cleaner, like Windex with ammonia, with a few drops of dish washing detergent. Works pretty well.

I recently started using plain old generic baby wipes. They cut through the oil residue really well, but leave streaks. So I touch up with Windex after.
Dennis-
Old 12-27-2003, 01:16 AM
Jim C.

take an empty glass cleaner spray bottle and fill it half way with regular rubbing alcohol, add a bit of dish soap, and top off with hot water.. shake it up and spray away... i never had to use anything else!
Old 12-27-2003, 03:24 AM
mrjbernard

I bought a large bottle of all purpose cleaner/degreaser from Home Depot. I believe the stuff I have is from "Zep". Works just fine. However, there are many products that work great - just look for something that indicates that it will cut grease. Simple Green is one for sure. Formula 409 is another. Most of these are concentrates - either way, I suggest thinning whatever you get with a bit of water. You only need a little degreaser action to clean things up.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:31 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I use a product called 'Sprayway' and I get it at Costco. It's white foam and it really cuts the oil and cleans the plane better then the windex I was using. You have to watch out for ammonia as it's hard on monokote. There a lot of different formulas out there and just experiment until you find the one that you like.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:19 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Another cheap and easy thing to find is any of the Orange cleaners. Fantastik makes it and so do many other companies. I have found that it works very well on just about any covering type and doesn't dull the finish or leave alot of streaks.

Just my $0.02 worth

T.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:45 PM
phread59

I just use Fantastic or something similar. Just be sure to let it set on for a moment for the cleaner to cut the goop. As I recal I had the best luck with Formula 409. A spray bottle of dish detergent and water should work but I have never tried it. I use dish detergent to clean my hands after working on my cars. Cuts grease very well.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-27-2003, 11:23 PM
aimmaintenance

Go flyin on the next rainy day. Water at 40 MPH will blast the oil off.
If ya fly like I have this year,[:@] they don't last long enough to worry about.