Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OK first post, what all do I need?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OK first post, what all do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 06:55 PM
AFflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK first post, what all do I need?

OK I am totally new to the sport myself. I have some relatives that fly and I never thought about it till recently! I am 24 and just starting to get my foot in the door. I am going to pick up the Hanger 9 Alpha because it looks to be the plane of choice for a brand new pilot! I was just wondering what all misc. parts I am going to need also. I am sure there are many posts about it on here already I just don't have a lot of time to look, a lot of peolpe share a computer over here overseas! So I can sheck the board every now and then but not for too long. Thanks for any info and this is a great site!

--Doug--

AMMO!!
Old 12-27-2003, 07:25 PM
jettstarblue

Default RE: OK first post, what all do I need?

Fuel, and fuel bulb, or pump, glow plug lighter, chicken stick, or starter and battery.

Jetts
Old 12-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Banned

I'm dumb, and don't know if the Alpha is an ARF, or RTF, but you'll end up wanting/needing a good bit of stuff regardless. I hunted down a couple of message threads for you that go into what you need fairly in depth. Here's what is needed for a basic field box:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Field_Box%2D_is_this_all_you_need%3F%3F/m_1368236/tm.htm]Basic field kit thread - Click Me![/link]

And here's a message thread with a bit more detail on what it takes to get into the hobby, and the costs involved including basic building supplies. Go down about halfway on the page and it gets interesting:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Help_with_Starting_out/m_1348837/tm.htm]Getting into the hobby - Click Me![/link]
Old 12-27-2003, 08:25 PM
AFflyer

Thank you very much. That is what I was looking for a list of what I would need to take to start and other such things.. thanks
Old 12-27-2003, 08:38 PM
AFflyer

OK this is the kit that I would like to go with. What does everyone think?

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HAN1330
Old 12-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

That looks nice, but you might probably want to go to your LFF (New term I coined for Local FlyingField, wonder f anyone else has used this term) and see what radio your instructors use.

That plane has a JR radio. It's got a 5ch computerized JR Radio!! Cool!! But your LFF might not have instructors teaching on JR Radios.

PS If your LFF does use JR radios, you can also consider the Arrow RTF, only its got a 4ch radio, good thing is it's more aerobatic (kinda like the Hobbico Avistars)
Old 12-27-2003, 10:04 PM
AFflyer

Thats another thing. I was going to try and learn by myself is that not a good idea? I am guessing no. hmmm I will have to do that. Thanks for the info
Old 12-27-2003, 10:12 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Check with your relatives. They might hook you up with old gear or have a line on some good used gear.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:26 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the post I usually leave for someone who's asked your question:

Material for Building

Glues: 30 minute and 5 minute epoxy, with something to mix it on and with, (old plastic lids and wooden coffee stirrers, plus small plumbers' acid brushes). Thin CA. (Not "Superglue".) You can substitute wood glue for the CA, but it adds time to the build.

Tools: XActo knife and extra number 11 blades. (Buy a box of 100, it's cheaper and you'll use them.) Razor saw; Kona or XActo. Kona is better. Steel straight edge, 18". A ruler will work but.... Sanding block and various grits of sandpaper. (80, 120, 200, 400.) Screw drivers, small and medium sizes, both flat and phillips types. Pliers, needle nose and regular. (At least one pair with side cutters for wire.) A good set of Allen or hex wrenches. (IMO, Ball drivers are a bit better if you can find a good set.) A "Dremel" type rotary tool will help a lot if you can shell out the extra dollars.

Covering tools: A sealing iron. A Trim iron will help too if you can swing both. A Heat gun made for covering. (Blow dryers don't really get hot enough.) More of those #11 blades for your XActo knife if you didn't buy the box of 100.

Check the kit (or ARF) contents. Most will have a list of extras you'll need to buy; like wheels, fuel tank (& size), fuel line, etc...

By the way. You should buy the engine and radio equipment when you get the plane. You'll need them all to finish the plane, and in some cases, you’ll need them to get started. Buy an engine on the larger size of the recommended range.

Some type of "flight box". (A plastic tool box of appropriate size and design works well. Some good ones at Lowe’s or Home Depot. A gallon of 10% fuel, a fuel pump, manual or electric and fuel line (3 feet minimum),. A glow igniter with charger. Although not 'necessary', I highly recommend a 12 volt starter for the engine, because most new engines are quite hard to start with a "chicken stick", and it’s one more headache you don’t need when beginning.

If you buy a 'self contained' glow ignitor and starter, and a manual fuel pump, you won't need to buy a 12 volt battery with charger, nor a "power panel" to connect everything. (And you won't have cords dangling around your prop when trying to start the engine.)

Then, get a few props of slightly different diameters and pitch (in the recommended range). The engine directions should give you a range of appropriate sizes for your engine. One or two extra glow plugs should last you through the learning process.

The single most important thing that I would recommend getting is an instructor to help you learn to fly. They are also the single least expensive item you can get (free), and the single best piece of insurance that all your hard work building that plane will not be destroyed.

Good luck and have fun.
Dennis-
Old 12-28-2003, 12:29 AM
mrjbernard

Aflyer -

Looks like a great kit. The direct answer for what else you'll need is available on the "Support" tab on the same page of the link you provided (you'll need very little for building, since it is an RTF model). You'll find a link to an online (PDF) version of the manual. The first page tells you what else you'll need. Here is a link for your convenience:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/shar...330-manual.pdf

I do recommend a motorized starter instead of the "starter (aka, "chicken") stick". But the starter stick will work.

As far as teaching yourself, you'll get pummeled (in an endearing way) by readers here. Beyond the high likelyhood of a damaging mishap, you are also posing a danger to others. Here, humbly offered, is what I suggest you might considering doing:

1) Join the AMA - everyone does, as it provides you with liability insurance given that you follow their safety rules and fly at a sanctioned airfield. Their website is www.modelaircraft.org.

2) Locate a locally sanctioned AMA club (you can find information on the website) and contact either an officer or via whatever means they suggest. Flight instruction at an AMA sanctioned field is FREE (!). And there are many old pros really who love to help newbies learn to fly. Also, they can buddy box (link) their transmitter to yours and add an additional level of safety for you, your plane and others. From my experience, most fields generally have a mix of at least JR and Futaba radios - so finding a compatible buddy-radio shouldn't be a problem.

3) This is optional, but will make the most of your time at the field - get the RealFlight G2 simulator and practice with the PT-40. It is a trainer and it will fly quite similar to your Alpha. The G2 program even includes an instructor mode that will help you move by leaps and bounds between your trips to the field.

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-28-2003, 10:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's an even easier solution...

Contact your relatives. Tell them you want to learn how to fly.

They will have you airborne the next time the weather is nice!

Then, you can buy stuff as you need it.