Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Trainer Vs. The Rest

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Kyosho Trainer Vs. The Rest

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 04:35 AM
kh6oo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Trainer Vs. The Rest

Looking to buy a trainer and I would like something I will not out grow to fast. I went to the feild today and one really stood out. It was the Kyosho Calmato Trainer 40. After seeing a couple trainers through the day in what seemed to be green to intermidiate hands, all seemed to fly slow and steady which is what I expected. As for the Kyosho, all was changed when it sported a .46 2 stroke OS Engine and what I am told a stock wing that does allow arobatic proformance. It was an awakining when the pilot took it through its paces and did maunovers that only the "extras" were doing before and at almost the same speeds!!! Tight Loops, High Verticals, and precession barrel rolls!!!

My question, are "ALL" Trainers capable of this once the .46 and throws are set? Is the wing really better and what other trainers sport it? Or is this really the forgiving trainer GEM that I can step in AND grow with?

Tom

(note: other trainers around on the feild that day: Avistar, Superstar, Ultra Stick, V-Stick, Big-Stick, Tower Hobbies 40)
Old 12-28-2003, 08:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Trainer Vs. The Rest

The answer to your last question is an emphatic NO.

Not all trainers are created equal. Some are available with an optional wing that permits a greater range of aerobatics. Some come with engines that will not permit the vertical performance required for good areobatics. The OS engine on the Kyosho trainer would seem to be an aftermarket addition to the plane increasing it's overall usefulness.

Bear in mind that full aerobatic capability is not usually considered a desirable trait in trainers. Most students will take longer to learn the basics if they are more inclined to attempt loops and rolls rather than how to fly straight and level along with takeoffs and landings.

In the end, it's all about having fun, so look at what you can afford along with replacement parts availability. Not much else really matters.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:12 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hobbico Avistar also has a semi symmetrical wing. They are quite well thought of at my club. I believe the new NexStar also has a semi symmetrical wing, but I have not seen these fly.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Dewalt17

The Nexstars wing is not semi semmetrical. It is a flat bottom wing with lots of dihedral. Its not good for areobatics but its harder to stall the wings slower speeds, which is a beginners dream come true. Ask me i fly one!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 09:57 PM
kh6oo

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I understand it now to be an "Airobatic Trainer" and understand that it is kind of a second trainer, but it might be right up my ally. It fits the "Not outgrow to fast" requirment. I am hoping to adjust the throws to make it more graceful and it still is a crash style 100 buck trainer so I am hoping it will work well. What I am trying to do is get gear that I can upgrade later now. Such as a 9C and maybe even a .70 four stoke. If I can get a plane that I can adjust for added preformace, thats one step further. My biggest problem is I do want a radio capable of Ham band (I am stubbern on this becouse its why I am trying in the first place. Ham is my first hobby) and I would like to get an engine that can move with me also. Most packages come with a cheap radio and engine, but its just not what I am looking for.

Tom
Old 12-28-2003, 10:27 PM
macdaddy IV

ORIGINAL: JNorton

The Hobbico Avistar also has a semi symmetrical wing. They are quite well thought of at my club. I believe the new NexStar also has a semi symmetrical wing, but I have not seen these fly.
My son did a beautiful barrel roll today with his Avistar. Quickly followed by Mr. Instructor "I'm taking control now......." Santa brought the Avistar because it was seen being very well flown in a demo before Christmas. I'm really not qualified to say it's a great aerobatic plane but it looks good to me!
Old 12-29-2003, 07:47 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dewalt17
Whoo -- calm down. I said I thought. I also said I'd never seen one fly. I did view the RCU video where it looked fairly acrobatic to me. I had also looked at the wing photo.

Kh600
I have no problem with your desire for a 9C. Ham band is great. What I would do is to use a cheaper 2 stroke instead of the O.S. 4 stoke just because if really prong it you're not out so much money. For a second plane the TT .46 works great in a Four Star 40.

John
Old 12-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Kh6oo,

Welcome to the world of RC. I know you will find it rewarding. Everyone has different opinions when helping out a newbie gettting started and hope you find my sugestions helpful.

First your choice of radio is great. The 9C although a bit overkill at first, will allow you to grow into the sport for a long time. If you desire Ham band, look at used equipment. There isn't as much demand for Ham band, and you may be able to pick one up cheaply. I personally do not see any advantage over it other perhaps better flying opportunities on a crowded air field.

I have discussed the airframe with many beginners, and believe there are two ways to approach it. Like you, many beginners feel they will save money by buying an semi trainer, semi aerobatic airplane. Without changing the wing style, few of these really exist. Most often when you are bit by the RC bug, your first airplane will not be your only airplane. With so many good choices in ARFs out there, you are certain to buy another airplane after you have mastered a trainer. At that time you may want to invest in a 4 stroke and a more aerobatic wingfoil. In all reality, a trainer often has a hard and sometimes short life while one learns to fly. Perhaps not investing too much $ initially is prudent.
Trainers are designed to fly slowly and more forgiving so that a beginner has time to learn the proper controls. When setup correctly, it can fly almost by itself. On the other hand, in a more agile airplane YOU must fly it and be presice in what YOU want it to do and where YOU want it to go. Remember too that just because a trainer airplane generally has a high diheadreal wing, it can do many of the same manuvers any other plane can. It can roll, spin, hammerhead, inverted, loops, even hang on the prop if enough engine is available. In the hands of a good pilot, you would be amazed at it's capabilities.

Generally what you are seeing at your field is not the differences in the planes, but the differences in the capability of the pilots. Most "trainers" are designed for students to learn to fly first. That way you'll want another plane and any manufacturer would be happy to sell you another and another and another and.... Well you get the idea.

That being said, there are a few decent airframes that can you can learn on and still have better aerobatic portential. I agree with JNorton. This is the one I often suguest: the Sig 4* series. Although it is a low wing design, it can be a gentle flyer, while at the same time develop good performance in many manuvers. I wish I could comment on your question of the Kyosho. I would imagine it is designed to be a great trainer and in the hands of a good pilot, can perform many manuvers any other trainer could. Kyosho generally is a quality builder.

So here's MHO bottom line. I have flown all sorts of trainers and with few exceptions they all will fly well. Some may better built than others however. A decent beginner plane outside the trainer philosphy is the 4 Star series.
As far as engines go, two strokes rule in my opinion when starting out. Basically only because of the low investment and ease of operation. Many good engines out there. I have owned OS, Super Tiger, Magnums, Enya, YS, Tower, Thunder Tiger, Mecoa and perhaps others. I prefer the .46 size engine being an instructor, but the .40 size is the usual on a combo. Wont get into to Chev vs Ford but choose which one your instructor perfers.

Good luck and happy flying.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:49 PM
kh6oo

Thanks for the info. To tell you the truth the bug is really biting and even the most important thing I want (Ham Band becouse
I am a ham) may take a back seat to one of these all in one kits. As much as I really want to start out with something to grow on
(esp. the radio), I just want to get in the air now. HAHA.

I do see your point about the pilot's skill. It was the only trainer flew buy a "Vet" and the only one with a .46 vice a .40, but I was wondering how much that wing had to do with it. I did like how it bolted in there like that with hex screws, but via this fourm I have
learned that may not be the best idea for a students trainer.

You are also right about the hobby shops. In my case, my instructer is the owner of the shop so he will be willing to sell me anything.
HAHA.

If I get one of these kits I still hope to find a good deal on a Ham Band capable system. Hope it will not be too hard to swap out. I don't necessarly need the BIG 9C, but it only seems that the high end radios do Ham and if I did buy one, I would at least get something more than a limited 4 channel.

Thanks for being the best fourm for a newbie. It all really helps.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:10 PM
R T W

Take a look at the Futaba 6 xas might also be a good choice another plane to look at closley is the Hobbico Avistar with an O.S. 46 FX Here is mine It has a semi symetrical wing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10593.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	86094