Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

help! new TT GP 42 will not start

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

help! new TT GP 42 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 03:50 PM
bigdrawz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! new TT GP 42 will not start

I cant get my new tt GP42 to start ive tried all kinds of needle settings and it just kind of spudders like its going to crank but thats it.Im wondering about my glow starter its one of them cheap models by hobbico that you just put in a dry cell C battery im wondering if its getting hot enough. ive chscked fuel draw and everything else and it seems to be right. I also noticed when I lifted my plane up gas came out of the muffler also Im trying to start it by hand I havnt got a electric starter yet. any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:23 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: help! new TT GP 42 will not start

Sounds flooded to me. Don't keep the glow clip on it unless you are actually trying to start it. Don't use your fingers either. Use a chicken stick(end of a broom handle) to save your fingers. Disconect your fuel line to it, open the throttle part way and crank it for a while without the glow clip on it. Then put the fuel line back on, open the throttle part way. Put your glow clip back on and crank it over. I would set your needle to the starting position that is speced in the directions. Try another glow plug. Could just be a plug. If it still won't start I'd just give it a break for a day. Warm the engine up in the house and try again. Starting a new engine by hand is hard.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:21 PM
TerrellFlyer

I've had some new engines ,glow and gas to be a real bear till they are broken in. Any more I don't even fool with a glow engine unless I've got an electric starter,sounds like you are close to starting. If fluid is coming from the muffler then you're flooded,disconn the glow ign. and tilt the plane so the flooded fuel pours out the muffler,then turn the engine a few times to clear the excessive fuel,might pull the glow plug and connect it to the ign.just to make sure both are ok
Old 12-28-2003, 11:51 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, you're close to starting it, but they can be a bear without a starter, especially when new.

You can keep flipping it with a chicken stick, and it will eventually start, but I'd get a starter. You won't believe how much easier it is.

Have you joined a club? Do you have an instructor? It would be best if you did. Besides, your instrucotr would probably be more than happy to use his starter and help tune the engine, as well as keep your plane in one piece.

By the way, welcome to RCU and RC flight.
Dennis-
Old 12-29-2003, 02:26 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got two TT GP 42's, and I just love them. They're great bushed 40's. Both of mine were stubborn starting the first time. It's the way they make them. So tight at Top Dead Center, that the piston just about "squeaks" through that part of its travel. And thats good. That aside, let me make some suggestions.

Make sure your glow starter is freshly charged, don't leave on the glow while you are checking things. In other words preserve your glow starter for actual starting.

They don't like to be flooded. If you're flipping the prop and its spitting fuel from the carburetor right at your face, they're flooded. Easiest way to un-flood them is remove the glow plug and run the motor with a starter until all excess fuel is shot out of the glow plug hole. But you don't have a starter, so you can achieve almost the same results by holding the plane upside down and while turning the prop, let the excess fuel run out of the glow plug hole. Re-install the glow plug and if your battery is good, you should be close to starting. I've even used a clothes pin on the fuel line to prevent flooding.

I start mine with the carburetor open 1/2 way or more. Coming from a Control Line background, those motors had a wide open venturi. It's safe if you have the model properly tied down so that it can't jump at you once you get it started.

Once you do get it started, turn the needle valve slowly. It takes a couple of seconds for the motor to react to the new setting.

If you are a rank Novice with glow motors, seek out experienced help. They'll get you started as well as point out safety precautions. Heed their advice, you could lose a finger if you don't.

The TT GP 42 is a great little motor. Once you get past that first starting and you run them a little, they start very easily.

Tom
Old 12-29-2003, 04:05 AM
bigdrawz

Thanks for all of the advice .I have run glow outboards on boats for years, but I had a starter and had no problems starting them.This is my first airplane. This engine is very tight just like my K&Bs used to be.I think I will order a starter.My plane is a thunder tiger trainer 40 and I am very happy with the way the plane looks.I also will have an instructor to help me learn.My radio is a airtronics V400.One more question, witch stick on my radio will be ailerons right stick or left stick,I know witch one is throttle and elevator but im not sure about aileron and rudder. thanks for all the help. Tracy in Texas
Old 12-29-2003, 08:09 AM
LearjetMech

Tracy,
Sometimes flipping the prop backwards will get a new engine to start easier. I had to do this with my evolution for a while until she got a little loose.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:05 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sticks depend on the "Mode" you're going to fly. Probably 95% of people in the US fly Mode II.

Mode II is, right stick forward is DOWN elevator, back is UP. (Many people think it's the other way around when starting out.) Pushed to the right is right Ailerons, left is left (obviously). By the way, right aileron input should cause the right aileron to go UP, left aileron down. (Picture what the air moving over and under the wing will do.)

Left stick forward is full throttle, full back is IDLE! Then, pull the throttle "trim" lever all the way back to kill the engine. Takes some fiddling to make it work. Which leaves left stick pushed right or left for Rudder.

Glad to hear you'll have an instructor. Will help make your trainer last a lot longer.

One other thing you miht want to check on, especially if your instructor is planning to use a "Buddy Box". Older Airtronics equipment can not be Buddy Boxed with any other brand of radio. (Not sure about the newest, I know they've changed some things to make them more compatable.) If your radio can not be connected to your instructor's, it would be worth spending $30 to $40 (max) on eBay to buy an extra Airtronics Transmitter for training.

Best of luck, and have fun!
Dennis-
Old 12-29-2003, 09:10 AM
TerrellFlyer

In texas on most it is the right stick,same side as the elevator,I fly at Mesquite and Greenville,what is your base?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:23 PM
bigdrawz

Im going to be flying at a field of of I-10 between bridge city and orange Texas about 3 miles from louisiana state line.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:06 PM
TerrellFlyer

Nice part of the state,if closer I was going to offer some hands on help.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:53 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

i also had trouble startng my new TT42. what helped was connecting the starter to a 12v battery in my car. and the needle setting to start with is not 2-2 1/2 but around 3-3 1/2. that's what got my engine started. finally, tighten all screws! some of my screw heads just flipped off. i bougth machine screws and tightened all screws. now, the engine is running great. take care!