Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The best second plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Black Horse Speed air
0%
Laser 3D
0%
Great planes Cap 232 .40 kit
42.86%
Jamara Waco
0%
Graupner Super Air
14.29%
Great Planes UCD .40
14.29%
Great Planes Dazzler .40
14.29%
Great Planes Spacewalker .40
14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

The best second plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:12 AM
neo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best second plane

Hi, I’m planning to buy my second plane. So I thought that it would help other pilots that also going to buy there second plane if I made a poll out of it.

If I missed some you think is a good second plane, and then tell me.

Marcel
Old 12-29-2003, 07:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: The best second plane

The Black Horse Speed air, and Graupner Super Air are really the only choices you have listed that would even be close to a "Second Plane".

Here are some excellent suggestions for your next one:

GP Easy Sport
Glodberg Tiger
Sig 4 Star 40
GP Rapture 40 <-- Take a look, it's new, and really nice
Midwest Aerobat ARF
Anything in the "Stik" family
Old 12-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Try this link for some ideas on second planes.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/second_plane.htm
Old 12-29-2003, 09:26 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I second Minn on this, most of the planes you have listed require quite a bit of 'know how' adn I wouldn't reccomend as 'second' planes (reffereing to 'Intermedeate planes / ones for after the trainer..)

my choices would be:
4 star 60
GP Slow Poke
Mid star
Contender
Old 12-29-2003, 11:27 AM
neo

Some people told me that most of those planes are good but I wasn’t sure so made up a poll here. I have a new list here:
-Blackhorse Home Run <--- Don't know about this one but it looks good...
-Black Horse Speed air
-Graupner Super Air
-GP Easy Sport
-Glodberg Tiger
-Sig 4 Star 40
-GP Rapture 40
-GP Slow Poke <--- Really like this plane!!! Anyone know the airfoil of this plane?

Is that a better list?
By the way, that Waco plane, do you think I can have that as a third plane?

Marcel
Old 12-30-2003, 10:02 AM
dr_wogz

Your list is better..

Can't say anythign about the "balck horse line.. not familiar with it..

the Rapture is still 'new' so I doubt there's any realy 'long term' thoughts on this one.. I bet it's either still in teh box, or jsut being started by most who have it!

The slow poke, I have the 'sporty 40'. What do you want to know about the airfoil? It's a flat bottom wing, with a HUGE chord! it floats! and can almost fly backwards it's so slow!! but fun to fly..
Old 12-31-2003, 02:27 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a much better list. But it would help to know what type of flying you eventually want to do.

I too am not familliar with the Black Horse stuff, so I'll reserve comment.

As far as the others go, They are all excellent, but the Slow Poke is really in a different catagory from the others.

So let's look at your other choices. As I said, they are all good. Personally, I would prefer to see someone's second plane be a shoulder or mid wing plane like the Easy Sport, Goldberg Falcon, or Mid Star 40. But then, I also think that a second plane should still utilize rubber bands for wing attachment, but many MFGr's are getting away from that because too many people are too anxious to move up too quickly. Which is why there are so many Low Wing "Second Airplanes" out there.

Let's compare flying to riding a bike.

Your Trainer represents your Tricycle.

Your second plane is like a bicycle with Training Wheels. The problem is, people tend to think that as long as it's not a 10-Speed bike, they don't need the Training Wheels.

Fact: Your Second Plane is MORE likely to crash than your First.

Why? Because you're flying a faster plane, that is less stable than your first, and you are no longer saved by the buddy box.

Ok, lecture over. As far as your choices go, Here is what I would suggest if I were your instructor.

1 Easy Sport. GP makes great kits with excellent instructions. The Easy Sport uses a shoulder wing, and nose gear, and is a logical next step.

2 CGM Tiger. We're in the low wing catagory now, but the Tiger is very stable, and uses a nose gear.

3 GP Rapture/4*40. Another step up due to the shorter tail moment, and tail wheel. While the 4* is very popular, and the Rapture is very new, I would pick the Rapture first. I have built a few 4*'s and have only seen the Rapture in Kit form, but what I saw was VERY impressive. It looks to me that GP is going directly at the 4* market with this plane. The Rapture looks like an Ultra Sport with a straight, longer wing (and much better looking that the 4* IMHO)
Old 12-31-2003, 02:55 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have flown all of the run of the mill ,typical 2nd planes that were popular for their day [Ugly Sticks, etc.] and they were all OK. Ruggedness and lightness are the two most opposite things to try to design into a model. I will choose a PROFILE DESIGN to meet that goal over a box fuselage plane. Set up with conservative controls , a 3D profile plane will handle like a trainer on landings, and tear up the sky much better than the heavier built counterparts. A lighter plane has less inertia in a crash and is easier on the engine and radio gear when gravity decides that play time is over. A good profile like what MORRIS HOBBIES sells will take you further into the hobby skill wise than some overweight 2nd trainer will. 700 sq" @ 4.5 pounds will out perform 500 sq" @ 5 pounds in every respect[ except the size of the hole it makes when it goes in]
Old 12-31-2003, 07:13 PM
rcu guest-delete

NEO, If you can/want to build it, get yourself a SIG KAVALIER with a good .40-.46, you will forever thank SIG, YOURSELF and ME.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:39 PM
rwh

Almost any Fun Fly plane is great!

Uproar, Dazzler, Morris,

Maximum maneuverability at minimum speed, that's what builds skill with minimum pain.

A plane like a four star 40 will let the pilot become a stodgy old Sunday flyer, but will not advance any skills.

Almost nobody actually follows this advice, but I'll keep trying!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:06 PM
neo

Thanks for all your replies!!!
But I think I will go whit a plane like the speed air. It is a cheap plane, and the plane I really want is a biplane like jamara Waco or a Stearman. So the best idea for me whit a limited amount of cash is to buy a cheap plane and master that plane and then by the Waco...
Old 01-01-2004, 04:20 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI RHW!! RIGHT ON BROTHER![ high five] ALL WE CAN DO IS TRY TO PREACH THE GOSPEL, ACCORDING TO WALT MORRIS! I might LOOK like a stodgy old Sunday flyer, but I refuse to fly like one! They are going to have to pry the xmitter out of my cold , lifeless hands before I go back to flying mediocre, run of the mill, boring junk ! You can only fly around in circles for so many years before you run across someone who is flying a cheap 3D plane with a cheap engine that is out flying all the rest of the more expensive and aerobatically inferior planes.