Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:23 AM
six6strings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd plane

What would be a good 2nd plane? I want a low wing..... Something like the .61 size Extra 300.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:55 AM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Default RE: 2nd plane

The extra 300 is an advanced plane that will not make an excellent 2nd plane. There are hundreds of posts with this same question. Do a search for second plane, 2nd plane, etc. I used the Great Planes super sportster for my second plane, and know many people that have used the four star by sig for a second. The 4 star is flown heavily at my local club by many highly experienced Sunday fliers. To you, I would recommend flying a four star 60 or a super sportster 60 for your second plane and then going to the Extra 300 that you mentioned.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:08 PM
SigFan

I'd have to agree with mnrcaerobat, an extra is not a good second plane. I'm flying a sukhoi currently and it's my 7th.

Good choices would be the four star 60, ultra stick, super sporter, tiger 60, venture 60. Even the stinger 60 ARF on low rates would be ok. They are all great planes and excellent flyers. Extras, caps, edges and sukhois can snap at slow speeds and have much higher flying and landing speeds than any of those above.

If you really must get the extra, get some experienced help for the first few flights. Have a fellow club member take off and land while you get some stick time up there, get a feel for the much faster plane. They can really get ahead of you quickly. Good Luck.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:14 PM
cde0214

The above mentioned planes are all good choices, but I'm assuming you want to get into aerobatics because you mentioned the extra.
If so, look at the great planes u can do, it not a typical second plane, but it flies well, and floats in slower than my trainer. Just my $.02
Old 12-29-2003, 02:29 PM
six6strings

thanks for the advice. I had my heart set on the U-can-do until I saw one fly. It flew well, but when the guy set her down, the landing gear snapped and it wasnt a hard landing. I'm just thouroughly confused. When I quit flying over 10 years ago I was flying a Laser 90 or something similar to it...... I'd say the Super Sport would be my best bet. I dont know.

How about the Funtana? Our local hobby shop owner recommends them highly.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:50 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

The funtana is a lot like the U can Do or the extra. It is an advanced plane. I fly the funtana, and it has a reputation for breaking landing gear as well. I also fly the super sportster. It is a fun plane. It is a pretty stable flying plane and allows you to do some aerobatics.

I flew the trainer for about 100 flights, then a super sportster for about another 100. At that point, I was able to handle a funtana and a Spa3d.

A super sportster or 4 star will help you progress from your trainer to the extras and funtanas. I would recommend either. I have not flown the 4 star, but have seen it fly many times and they handle well.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Check this link and see if it helps:
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/second_plane.htm
Old 01-05-2004, 09:39 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

Consider an Ultra Stick 40 or 60 size. Great flying airplane and the quad flaps keep it interesting. Very easy to fly and quite aerobatic.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:18 PM
forestroke

sixstrings - I completely agree with the WM Supersports as a good "2nd" plane. It's very stable and extremely easy to build. I would also recommend a Ramber 30 with a fourstroke (40 or 52). The Ramber is my favorite plane... Planes I've owned and lessons learned (in chronological order)

1. Terrible China Trainer (R.I.P. after I converted it into a low wing canard... it went up! and then came very down... just remember, CG should be an inch in FRONT of the leading edge not behind it for a canard)... Lesson? Get the facts before you kit bash.

2. WM Cap 232 (R.I.P. from hitting a tree after losing power upon take off)... Lesson? vertical test each an every time...

3. WM Cub .26 - wonderful plane... extremely cute and decent to fly... Lesson? The right plane at the right time is always the best fun.

4. China Made F3A - Rudder assembly failed during knife edge. Lesson?... You can fly anything without much experience but you won't be able to save it should anything go wrong...

5. WM ZEN 50 - tried to smash an el cheapo China .61 in it and now it flys but not well. Lesson? Overpowering DOES NOT equal overperforming... also the T.S. .61 engine is terrible... it runs but makes less power than my now buried 46FX but is 5 ounces heavier

6. WM Ramber 30 - Super Stable and easy to fly... would recommend this plane to anyone as a 2nd low wing. I fly it like a trainer... Lesson? Good planes in stupid hands can still be good planes...

7. KMP Cessna Skylane - That front steering arm set up is pure crap. The front gear kept turning with anything but a greased landing, tipping the plane over ever so violently. Otherwise a nice flying plane. Lesson? Don't have one yet... But I have a Chinese Made ASP/Magnum .61 fourstroke in it and it is performing flawlessly. I guess I have to give a little more credit to the Chinese Motor makers...
Old 01-06-2004, 05:40 AM
neo

I want to make my own second plane, but what makes a plane a good "second" plane? Is it that it has a constant chord???
Old 01-07-2004, 03:20 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI NEO! A good 2nd plane could have a flat bottom airfoil, with a fully rounded leading edge. This type or airfoil is fully aerobatic, and allows slow landing speeds. The difference in handling between HIGH, MID and LOW wing planes is not even worth mentioning. Who cares about hands off stability? High wing trainers make me sea sick when I watch them rocking back and forth on final approach. DO you fly with your hands off the sticks?The wing placement on the fuselage is not a big issue. The biggest adjustment for some guys is going from a nose wheel to a tail wheel. So I guess you should get a tail dragger. I don't think the transition to a tail wheel is that big of a deal. The guys who have "written the book" on how to do things would do barrel rolls in their graves if I say this, but a 3D profile plane set up with conservative controls makes a fantastic 2nd plane for a guy with decent reflexes and ability. Go to MORRIS HOBBIES and take a good look at their stuff! You will not find any planes any where that can land any slower, and be more wild aerobatically. These planes will recover from the dumbest things that a pilot can do, and keep on going.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:27 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

I second the Ultra Stick! Flies great plus you can play with flaps also when you are ready-

For 46 size- The SIG 4* 40 is the plane, with the Super Sportster and ugly stick right behind-
Old 01-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Woodsy

neo, if you want to build your own second plane check out www.spadtothebone.com and build the DPS or SPADstick, AND before the balsa zelots jump on me if you have the extra time patiance and money try building them in balsa if thats your what you prefer, i'd love to see a SPAD original design like the DPS done in balsa.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:40 AM
MLC
My Feedback: (5)

I did alot searching and reading on this same subject. I am not making a recommendation as I do not have all the experience of alot of the other RCU members. With that said, I am going with the U-Can-Do 60, seems like some have done the same and some half not. Plan on spending alot of time on the trainer until I can do almost anything with it and mix in the 2nd plane with an instructor by my side. Just my $.02.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

***Sigh*** Here we go again...

What makes a good second plane is a good balance of stabillity and maneuverability, combined with DURABILITY.

Remember, this is the plane you are MOST likely to crash.

Now everyone is different, but the average person should not get anything hotter than a 4*, Tiger II, or the new GP Rapture. And I only recommend these because most people are way too anxious to step up.

IMHO here's what a 2nd plane SHOULD have:

High, Shoulder, or Mid wing with a constant chord, and semi-symmetrical airfoil, that is held on with rubber bands.
Next, it should have a nose wheel. You are still learning, why throw a tail wheel into the mix?

There are a lot of threads here saying "I'm getting a so-and-so for my second plane!". But if you look through the Crash Forum, you'll find a lot of people who crashed their so-and-so because they weren't ready for it.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:47 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

If you are worried about going from a trike gear trainer to a tail-dragger second plane, consider converting your trainer to a taildragger before moving up to your second plane. You will find that the trainer you are so used to takes off and lands totally different - much better (especially on grass) but more of a handful if you don't stay on top of it. You will also find that your trainer flys faster since you no longer have that nose wheel to add all that drag in the air. Of course, this means your landings will be faster as well. Your trainer will still fly and land slow like it used to, but it won't slow down as quickly as before. This simple modification will allow you to take another step closer to the aerobatic type plane you are wanting as well as get more out of your trainer. Not to mention, trainers look a lot better after the conversion as well!

Here is a link to a poll covering your very question...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1365849