Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How I got Addicted To RC Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How I got Addicted To RC Flight

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Ken-Ohki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I got Addicted To RC Flight

Hi Everyone,

Sometime in November, I went Christmas Shopping. Amongst the things I bought. Was one of that $17 flying wings at Walmart,
Intended as a presant for my Nephew. Well, After looking at it for a day or 2 on my shelf, And talking to a friend of mine
who was visiting, We decided to take it out and play with it, ( note to self, but new plane for nephew ) Anyway.One Motor
was exceptionaly stronger then the other, and needless to say, it was pretty unflyable, Well, it Flew, but it flew where it
wanted to. Made a few adjustments, managed to make it Fly in more of a straight line, but at a cost of flying in a diagnal
attitude. Needless to say, it went back for a refund. Wile there, I spied the Airider Falcon. At this same time my friend
fell in love with the looks of that Jet they sell there. Went Home, stuck them together, ate dinner and made the school
football field 2 hours after dark, Hehehehe. The airider is a canard wing, and a slow flyer. First toss into the air and
this thing was Flyin, a few passes around the parking lot area and Perspective and darkness got me. SLAM! into a tree i
thought i would clear. Plane droped to the ground completely severing the control wing in Half. Good thing I brought the
Packing tape. Now, Wile I am doing a field repair on my Canard, The Jet gets tossd into the air, flys about 40 feet at a
downward angle and crashes fliping end over end several times.Several attempts later, and about the 4th charge, it took to
the air properly with some wing bending. I found out later the instructions clearly stated, CHarge & discharge pack 3 times
before attempting flight ( they werent kiding ) By this time, My Canard is repaired and in the air flying Perfecty and Very
slow, Making graceful turns and climbing into the darkness. After a few hours and several charges on both planes we went
home, The Canard ( airider Falcon ) is perfect for a beginer plane, its so simple to fly and self corecting. The Jet was a
bit more difficult to control, and not recomended for novices. Anyway

Next day, back to the stores we go for more, This time, A radioshack Airhogs defender for my friend, and the F-16
lookin Jet they sell at radioshack for me. Long story short on the Jet. I could not get it to balance and fly, it was soo
dissapointing, Perhaps its my skill level at balancing them, However, I do have backgroud in aeronautics.and in retrospect
have had no problem getting my other planes to balance and fly since. Back to radioshack it went after a few hours of
trying to make it fly. And it was half mangled when I retunred it, Radioshack took it back no questions asked.( and yes i
cycled the batteries first ) Now the Defender, That thing Rocked. I needed to adjust the rudder a little to make it fly
straight ( seems all 2 prop planes suffer from this ) Anyway, This little plane flew excelant, Highly recomended for
beginers, and fun as hell. Even in high winds, once you get the hang of it, its like flying acrobatic monster. Mind you, it
does the tricks it wants to, wile you fight to keepit in range, ( hehehe ) but to someone who dosent know you are fighitng
for control, It looks like you are doing it on purpose hehehe.

So The defender was soo cool, I bought a airhogs resistor. BIG BIG dissapointment This plane massivly suffered from 1
stronger motor and did nothing but spiral and crash no mater what. Complained to airhogs and a replacent was at my door in
10 days, This plane also suffers as the first did, but not to such a degree. This replacement plane kinds flys, and does
turn both ways, but looking at it fly, I swear it is straining to stay in the air. When I get more time, im gonna take the
2 best motors and put them on one plane and see if it is any better. But for now,, That plane sucks. I wouldnt recomend it
at all. It almost went back to the store, but now that I ahve 2, I figured i keep them and see if i can improve on its
preformance later.

So now its Christmas, And what was on my List? a 3 chan plane of course. And I dicovered a areobird challenger under my
tree. I went and put the bettery pack on charge, returned like 20 minutes later to check on it. Open the truck door and
imidiatly get assulted by the smell of burnt electronics. Notice the charge indicater is off ( should be on solid for
charged, or flashing for charging) and the battery pack is to hot to hold for more then a few seconds. Big BIG
dissapointment.Christmas Eve and my charger is fried. I check the battery pack and find a charge level of 8.9 volts (7,2
volt pack ) SO I said screw it, let it cool, stuck it in the plane and went to the football field. This plane flew almost
perfectly out of the box. had a good flight, about 18 minutes, then I packed it and went home.

Had to wait until the day after Christmas to talk to anyone about it, And the representive I spoke to told me to ship
it to them. I prompltly informed him, I have already paid shiping one this once. And that they shiped me a defective item,
He then tells me, Ok Ill mail you a label, then you can mail the parts back, then after we inspect it, we will mail you
replacements. I then informed him I did not concider that Good customer service, I told him I was not about to wait 7-10
for a lable, 7-10 for it to get there, who knows how long for them to look at it, and 7-10 more to get it back.and
requested he put me on to a supervisor, several minutes later, he came back and said he would ship me a new charger and
battery and a lable, then when I get it, I can returnt he parts in the same box with the lable.

In the Mean time. I am using a 12 volt 500 mil brick to charge my battery til I get my replacements. Have made 10 flights
with the areobird in wind from 0- 15 sustained, and gusts over 25 mph. Aside from needing a minut adjustment or 2, This
plane is also a Excelent flyer. Highly recomended for anyone looking to take teh next step from a 1 or 2 chan plane.

So That is how I adicted myself to Rc Flight. It all started with plane for my Nephew that didnt work, the rest is
history. ( he got a airhogs defender under the tree from me ) And speaking of my nephew, today we are going out for his
first flight too.

Ken-Ohki
Old 12-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: How I got Addicted To RC Flight

WELCOME TO THE HOBBY[8D]

YOUR HOOKED AND GOING TO LOVE IT
Old 12-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Hmm, pretty soon you'll want mroe planes, like me!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:34 PM
TerrellFlyer

Welcome and I hope you'll get as many years of pleasure with this hobby as I have.[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 02-05-2004, 10:50 PM
ajp340

im in the process of building a twin feuselage areobird challenger.
Using two planes with the same freg and channel i plan on using one controll line on one side and one on the other.
Any ideas for a wing?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken,
Welcome to the hobby. If you're excited by the stuff you've been flying, go out and invest in a glow powered trainer! But to do that you really need to find a local club. The football field just won't cut it when the plane will fly 60 mph or more, and further than you can see it.

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 02-06-2004, 06:55 AM
Jimmbbo

Bravo! And welcome...

One thing to remember - RC flying is an addiction with no known cure.. Even if you leave it, it never leaves you!

The only solution is to fly!

Cheers!

Jim