Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gap sealing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gap sealing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 05:20 AM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gap sealing

Would like to seal the gaps on the elv and alr, any help?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Ogriv

Default RE: Gap sealing

I sealed the gaps on my trainer, and WOW it became a whole new airplane. Unfortunately it responded faster to my inputs than my inexperienced brain could respond. I ended up spinning it into the ground. I just built my replacement trainer, and I did not seal my gaps. I believe that sealing the gaps is the right thing to do, but as a novice, I will leave them uncovered. When I get alot more experience under my belt, and I can fly by instinct rather than trial and error, I will seal the gaps up again.

You mentioned sealing the elevator. It did have a big effect on my trainer. I would notice it when I was landing. Normally I would just fly the plant to the ground and flare at the end for a nice touch down. But with the sealed gaps, it became a roller coaster. Everything was SO sensitive. I don't recommend sealing the gaps of your trainer until you are confident in your flying ability.

Mike
Old 12-30-2003, 07:02 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Turn you wing upside down, flex the aileron down and then apply monokote over the gap. That is all you need to do! You can also use tape if you want a no fuss solution.

ORIGINAL: goplaneman

Would like to seal the gaps on the elv and alr, any help?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:29 AM
TerrellFlyer

always seal the gaps.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:40 AM
ekrcflyer

Hello Goplaneman!

Welcome to the hobby!!! Check out this thread:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1093079/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1093079]RCU Gap Sealing[/link]

In general, sealing the gap makes a huge difference. Like one of the guys in our club put it: "it's like adding power steering to your car". Of course, "the product" of the gap is that your plane will become more "sensitive" to controls input.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:04 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything was SO sensitive. I don't recommend sealing the gaps of your trainer until you are confident in your flying ability.
You could have reduced the throws by moving the clevises to the outer holes at the control surfaces, and/or the inner holes on the servo arms. Or, with a computer radio you could use exponential. Or, you could learn to fly with more gentle inputs, which is a good idea anyway. (I'm making a joke, not insulting the fact that you're new.)

I would recommend ALWAYS sealing gaps of 1/8" or more, and depending on the plane I'd seal them anyway.
Dennis-
Old 01-02-2004, 05:28 AM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Thanks for the help,
What type of clear tape is best to uses?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:32 AM
TerrellFlyer

Doesn't matter ,but use a good name brand,I've use cheap no name stuff from discount stores only to have it peel off.