Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The Duraplane 40 and bent wings.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The Duraplane 40 and bent wings.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 02:30 PM
AdNauseam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Duraplane 40 and bent wings.

I got a Duraplane 40 trainer for my first plane. The wing is styrofoam and comes in one piece (plus wing extensions) anyway, I was getting ready to put on the ailerons and noticed that the trailing edge (is that the right term?) of the wing is almost like an ‘m’ shape. Both sides of the wing are this way, perfectly symmetrical, which is why I thought that’s the way it’s supposed to be.

Does anyone know if that’s the way it’s supposed to be because the ailerons will not be flush with the trailing edge of the wing, or should the trailing edge of the wing be perfectly straight? I called the place I got the plane at, and the girl had no idea what I was talking about, I’m not sure I have any idea what I’m talking about……….and naturally the duraplane instructions say nothing about this.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:46 PM
roadman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Duraplane 40 and bent wings.

AdNauseam,
I'm not familiar with the Duraplane in general, but I'll try to help. Which way is the trailing edge warped and by how much? Foam is pretty soft, so you may be able to take some of this warp out. As you look at the wing from the top, the trailing edge should be pretty straight. You want your the area where your ailerons are hinged to be pretty straight so they work well. Sometimes when the foam blanks are cut out, the trailing edge doesn't come out exactly right. Some trimming/sanding may be necessary. You might try trimming it with a knife and exacto or sanding it straight with a long sanding bar. Be careful not to change the overall shape of your airfoil though.
If the trailing edge is straight along the chord, as described above, and merely warped along the span, you shouldn't have too much to worry about as long as it's minor. Attaching the ailerons should take some of this warp out. If it's really bad, you might try inlaying some hard 3/16" square balsa into the trailing to straighten it.
I'm not sure I completely understand your problem, but I hope this helps.

Jason