Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Before you start building...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Before you start building...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:34 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Before you start building...

Hi guys, It has recently occurred to me that we have many newcomers to RCU who are also new to building (or ARF Assembly), and I just wanted to point out that if you click on "Magazine" at the top of this page, Then use the Search filter to select "How To's" under "Article Type". You can find many useful articles on how to install hinges properly, Balance your plane, use iron-on covering, solder, etc.

Seeing as how many of you may have gotten your first plane for Christmas, I just thought I'd point it out to you, hopefully, it will help you avoid making a mistake.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78963.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	86355  
Old 12-30-2003, 11:50 PM
jmps
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Before you start building...

Thanks for the pointer. I am about to start my Four Star 40 kit.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:55 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good point MinnFlyer, and Happy New Year to you [sm=sunsmiley.gif]!

Jerry
Old 01-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Thanks for a great tip MinnFlyer, and for a great rc site. I love coming here and looking through the forums.

Happy New Year to you and all at RC Universe.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:45 PM
CGCOMM3RET

Thanks for the tip MinnFlyer. I won't be able to start building my plane, a MegaTech Nitro Capitol Flyer, for a couple of months, when this white stuff finally goes away, due to a lack of work space and storage space as we just moved into this house in November.

I also want to pass along a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all on RCU.

Larry
Old 01-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Rumva

nice - im starting a sig hog bipe
Old 01-08-2004, 01:26 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm to the point that I would never consider assembling an ARF until I came here to find out all the tips. It will make you a MUCH happier pilot to have a plane that's built well and flies well.

Also I'd never buy a plane until I came to RCU and did a thorough search first. I'm pretty reliant on this forum for help.

Joe
Old 01-11-2004, 01:28 AM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

I got to the point where either I was going to get someone to do the covering or get lots of help. The how-to cover article sure saved me a lot of time and material. It came out much better than I expected and only had to recover one small piece because I didn't like the way it came out. Now if it flys as good as it looks I'll be very satisfied.

Harry
Old 01-12-2004, 03:20 PM
mtisdale

Great articles - especially the one on covering and CA hinges.

What I'd really like to see are some tips on using CA glue for kits, though. I'm about to build an LT-40 kit with Pacer CA. There are short instructions on the side of the bottle, but they seem to differ from the tips I've read on the board. (ie. for medium and thick CA, the bottle states to use a small drop every 1 sq. inch... but on here, I've read that medium and slow glues should be run across the entire joint or fillet.

Anyone interested in making a how to article - perhaps with some pics - on using thin, medium and slow CA glues - as well as epoxies? They would be much appreciated.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:32 PM
MinnFlyer

Not a bad Idea at all. At one time, My plan was to do one "How To" per month, but I've been so busy with reviews (Not to mention this silly little thing I have called a job) that I just haven't had time.

But glues would be a good subject. I'll keep that in mind.

BTW, if anyone would like to try their hand at doing one, you can contact Erick Royer here at rcu ([email protected])
Old 01-13-2004, 03:43 PM
DustOffUH1

There's a nice article on glues in, I think, this months MAN (I get so many rc magazines I can't remember, or read them all). Maybe you can persuade them. I think CafeenMan also has a page about glues on his site. I would give it a shot but I'm having too much fun building my 1093 Wright Flyer
The adhesive article is in the February 2004 issue of MAN.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:01 PM
artybarr

Hi all,
I am just considering this whole rc plane thing as a great way to hopefully bring my son and I together. He is into TV and NINTENDO. I wish it were team sports he was into. I'm hoping to learn more here and buy one or two planes soon. I thought of it when I entered an online contest at www.planetgoldilocks.com to win an rc plane, sponsored by www.readytosoar.com Does any know if these planes at readytosoar are a good way to start for two total beginners?
Thanks
ARTY
Old 01-21-2004, 08:41 AM
MinnFlyer

Arty, They can be, of course everyone is different, so to many these electric "Park Fliers" are an ideal way to get started. To many people it is as far as they want to go in this sport. However, seeing as how you live in the Great White North, and have many inactive winter months, you should consider what we call "Glow Powered Models". These are what the layman would refer to as "Gas Powered Planes"And while they are more expensive than Park Fliers, they are an excellent way for a father to get his son away from the TV for a while.

Depending on how much time you put into it, it will take anywhere from 1 to 3 months to build a model (An excellent way to spend the winter). It's fasinating to watch your model go from a box of sticks to a fully functional airplane. And with most of today's kits, almost anyone can build them (They are really much easier than they look). And while they are more expensive (About $400 total) the expense is spread out over time (But the kit and glue now, an engine later, a radio when nearing completion, and covering when ready to finish). Some kids may lose interest during the building process, but some may enjoy the building more than flying. And once you are ready to fly... talk about the ultimate video game!!!

Once you know where to look, you will be able to find a club in your area who will have a field where you can go to fly. The club will also provide free instruction, so your hard work will still go home in one piece each day.

All in all, it's a wonderful way for a father and son (or daughter) to spend some quality time together!

Keep us informed as to your desision! And Welcome to RCU!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:39 PM
artybarr

Hi MinnFlyer,
Thank you for your reply. It was funny to read your comment "Great White North... many inactive winter months." We live in Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island, British Columbia....considered the Southwestern part of the country with the mildest winter of all.
eg. One Newyears day a few years ago we were in t-shirts fishing for trout off the rocks at a local lake morning till noon, then went to play tennis outdoors the same afternoon and watched a Windsurfer in the harbour behind us. They're not always that mild but we maybe get three days of snow a year. The downfall is 300 plus days of RAIN!!!! Well sometimes it feels like it.
I also liked your comment..."And once you are ready to fly... talk about the ultimate video game!!!"
It makes sence to me and I will definitly keep you posted.
Thanks
Arty

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Arty, They can be, of course everyone is different, so to many these electric "Park Fliers" are an ideal way to get started. To many people it is as far as they want to go in this sport. However, seeing as how you live in the Great White North, and have many inactive winter months, you should consider what we call "Glow Powered Models". These are what the layman would refer to as "Gas Powered Planes"And while they are more expensive than Park Fliers, they are an excellent way for a father to get his son away from the TV for a while.

Depending on how much time you put into it, it will take anywhere from 1 to 3 months to build a model (An excellent way to spend the winter). It's fasinating to watch your model go from a box of sticks to a fully functional airplane. And with most of today's kits, almost anyone can build them (They are really much easier than they look). And while they are more expensive (About $400 total) the expense is spread out over time (But the kit and glue now, an engine later, a radio when nearing completion, and covering when ready to finish). Some kids may lose interest during the building process, but some may enjoy the building more than flying. And once you are ready to fly... talk about the ultimate video game!!!

Once you know where to look, you will be able to find a club in your area who will have a field where you can go to fly. The club will also provide free instruction, so your hard work will still go home in one piece each day.

All in all, it's a wonderful way for a father and son (or daughter) to spend some quality time together!

Keep us informed as to your desision! And Welcome to RCU!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Live Wire

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:58 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

Best advice for any kit

As to the time it takes to build... that is HIGHLY variable. I've always been a very fast builder, and can complete a model such as a 4*40 in 3 days or less. 20+ years ago I built a Gentle Lady litterally ovenight. (my 4th or 5th R/C kit) I have seen people take in excess of 2 years building a Great Planes PT-40. (which takes me about 1 week)

My advice on CA and building... avoid the CA. you can come out just as light (lighter...) and build just as qucikly using yellow carpenter's glue. and, you can reposition stuff aftert he glue is applied. (and if the yellow glue has set... heat it and it lets go and is able to rebond with just heat 1 time!)
Old 01-22-2004, 11:21 AM
MinnFlyer

Ditto, I like to read the instructions several times. The trick is to UNDERSTAND what you are about to do, and why you are doing it before you ever cut or glue anything. And FWIW, I like using CA glues.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:40 AM
FHHuber
Banned

My 2 main reasons to avoid CA:

Cost and fumes.

I do know there are places where the CA really is the glue of choice. I use the equivilent of one of the tiny Super-glue bottles each .40 size plane (the 2 bottles for $1 at the Dollar store size)

I use about 9 cents worth of yellow glue on an average .40 size plane. (that $5 quart bottle has lasted a LONG time... still got a bunch left of it)

I use about one dollar's worth of Epoxy if I have to do the dihedral joint, fiberglass center tape reinforcement, tailplane attachment and firewall fuelproofing. (some don't need as much...)

Strong, light and cost efficient.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:19 AM
SBR_RV

could come in handy.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Rexor

Hi All,

RC Planes is something i've decided only a few days ago to do and i am in my "research" phase at the moment. I have come to realise in this short time that this hobby is quite extensive with lots of different facets to master. RCU seems to have lots and lots of info but i am struggling with one thing. I cant seem to find info about RC in NSW Australia. Can someone help (before i start building)

Thanks
Old 02-27-2004, 09:57 AM
MinnFlyer

We have many Aussie members here at RCU. Try doing a search (There's a box at the top of the page) for "Australia" and you'll probably find a few.

Or start a new post asking about Australian members.

And Welcome to RCU!
Old 02-28-2004, 08:50 PM
ZimboRaider

Rexor,

There must be something in NSW I am sure. Just try a google search or start a thread about Australasian members like Minnflyer said.
This place is great isn't it!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 AM
ozzmosis

I just managed to burn a hole in the covering of my new gentle lady wing, argh
Old 03-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Jimmbbo

May I add - "several times"...

One of the skills a modeler develops after building a few kits is to "see" where each part fits into each assembly, and how each assembly fits into the whole model... With more experience, this allows you to look ahead and make changes to the construction sequence either to incorporate modifications or make construction easier...

HTH

Jim
Old 03-07-2004, 01:10 PM
DustOffUH1

May I add - "several times"...

One of the skills a modeler develops after building a few kits is to "see" where each part fits into each assembly, and how each assembly fits into the whole model... With more experience, this allows you to look ahead and make changes to the construction sequence either to incorporate modifications or make construction easier...
Very True

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.