Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

TOTAL Amateur

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

TOTAL Amateur

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:16 PM
PeterY321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOTAL Amateur

Hey guys...I recently became interested in R/C airplanes. I am seriously considering astronautics and aeronautics as a future career. However, I know almost absolutely nothing about R/C airplanes. There appears to be no instructors in my area and I don't know if I could afford one anyways. I am looking for ways to get started...should I buy an almost ready to fly airplane?? I am just a bit nervous if there are some very specialized twinking I need to do. A ready to fly airplane isnt much fun...I would much rather work on it a little myself for the personal satisfaction. I am thinking about starting with an almost ready to fly airplane and then moving on to building my own airplane. I am currently considering a small electric powered plane that is very durable for easy usage. I am not sure if any hobby shops are very close to where I live. They all seem pretty far away from looking at the shops on this website; I'll look in the yellow pages to check for some a bit later. I don't know much in this field, but I plan to start learning through the Internet. I don't have a lot of money to get started...maybe $100-200 max. I was also wondering if there are any good, free articles out there that could teach me to fly and build. I have already begun to look at the articles under MAGAZINE in RC Universe. I am a fairly quick learner. Also, I am hoping to not crash much because this could become a very expensive hobby. I would really appreciate it if anyone lends some advice or ideas. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:07 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Default RE: TOTAL Amateur

Instructors are FREE!!!

Check the "Find local Clubs" feature in RC Community.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:33 PM
wrongwaywayne

I would not reccomend the electrics as a place to start. I tried last year just like you and finally gave up two electric planes later and switched to glow, joined a local club and have never looked back. Someone at the club will have a used trainer setup for sale. This will help keep the cost down.

Best of luck!!!!!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

DB got a .20 sized trainer with radio and engine for sixty bucks at a Swap Meet at the local club. (I think).

Swap meets are places to get Good Stuff Cheap!
Old 12-31-2003, 02:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to:

http://www.modelaircraft.org

to find a club near you.

There is no charge to learn.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:28 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

One thing on used gear.. I would have someon who knows what they are doing look over the used stuff you are buying if it is at a swap meet. At a club you are probably ok because everyone will think that someone who sells you some junk is a dirtball. G'luck.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:23 PM
rcu guest-delete

PeterY321,
Welcome to a great Hobby !!!
The first step, and the most important, you already did it, and that is ASKING QUESTIONS to the right people before doing anything !
You will be 100% safe if you find either a Club and/or a responsible instructor. After 30+ years in R/C, I have always seen that the best help comes for free. A true R/C`er will teach you everything he knows for the only price of seen you Solo-Flight and become succesfull in the hobby. As for what to buy, you should wait until you find a GOOD instructor, he/she will lead you to a good deal locally. If you can`t wait, I personally recommend you get a new SIG brand KADET LT-40 A.R.F. model, with an O.S. MAX brand .46FX engine and an economical 4 channel Radio system ( with rechargeable batteries ) from either FUTABA, JR, TOWER HOBBIES or AIRTRONICS brands. The SIG KADET comes with an instruction booklet that is very helpfull. Remember this; an A.R.F. model will need work from your part, and you will have to assemble airframe parts, install all the radio gear, and install the engine plus tank and fuel lines, so it will be fun anyways. You shoud assemble it yourself because that will teach you many things that you need to know later as you grow in the hobby, your instructor will assist you on verification and airworthiness of your model. As for my part, I will be more than glad to help you, feel free to drop me ALL the questions that come up via e-mail, I`ll do my best to help you out. My address
<< [email protected] >>
Don`t forget: ASKING ????`s will keep you out of trouble and put you in the air much-much-much sooner. Johnny