Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A Good 3rd Plane (Kits or ARF) BEFORE Warbirds?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A Good 3rd Plane (Kits or ARF) BEFORE Warbirds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 02:13 PM
panzer66
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Good 3rd Plane (Kits or ARF) BEFORE Warbirds?

I need your recommendation on a 3rd plane, either a kit or an ARF, before I move to Warbirds.
Currently I have 2 planes - SIG LT-40 and SIG Mid-star 40. I have had about 120 flights on the LT-40 and 60 flights on the Mid-star.
While the LT-40 is very easy to fly and land, the Mid-star is a faster plane but still easy to land.

I want the 3rd plane to be an aerobatic one but having a heavier wing-loading. Some people recommend I should add WEIGHT to my LT-40 or Mid-star increase wing loading and skip the 3rd plane at all.

Anyways, I like the SIG Somethin-extra but it can be landed so slowly ( no good for warbird training). How about a 40 size Extra300, Sukhoil, or CAP. Any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2003, 02:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: A Good 3rd Plane (Kits or ARF) BEFORE Warbirds?

A 40 size Extra would be great. Also look at the GP Mustang 40. It doesn't have a scale airfoil, so it's easier to fly than a real warbird, but it looks just as good.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:02 PM
dr_wogz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And a step up fromteh ever popular 4 star series, is the Somethin Extra from Sig. great thrid plane. moves you into the 'aerobatic' realm of flying..
Old 12-31-2003, 03:18 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI BF109! To simulate what it will be like to fly a model warbird, just tie a brick to your planes fuselage! Seriously, you could build a 1/12th scale balsa BF109 and put a .15 in it. They are neat to watch, you get the beauty of the war bird, without the time and money invested in a 60 size. I built a GLOBAL P51, still have it. It was originally kitted for 049 power, but was a real dog. I put an OS 15 in and it was alot of fun[sm=lol.gif]!!
Old 01-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually a .40 size warbird would make a good third plane. get a World Models P-51. Has retracts and the whole bit.

If your flying those other two without problems, you should be fine. Thats what "throttles" are for. If your going to put a .40 size engine in it, you should have no problem but get some help on the first flight for trimming.