Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Good Easy To Assemble Under $200 3D ARF All Hardware More Aerobatic Than Tiger II

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Good Easy To Assemble Under $200 3D ARF All Hardware More Aerobatic Than Tiger II

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Easy To Assemble Under $200 3D ARF All Hardware More Aerobatic Than Tiger II

Under $200 40-52 Size 3D capable ARF good building, scale, or not scale, like Extra, Cap, Sukhoi, whatever with all hardware, that will take a .52 size Four Stroke or above. No Hangar 9 models!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-OR-

Good Easy To Build Under $50 3D capable Kit More Aerobatic Than Tiger II, Not a SPAD!!!

Does this exist? I want all or most of the hardware included.

The kit should be like a 3rd plane but is actually a second plane because my first plane will be a Tiger II.

Maximum engine size would be Magnum .46. maybe Magnum .52 2-stroke or Magnum .52 4-stroke.

Does this exist?? I'm now really addicted to the building aspect!!!

-OR-

A .40 Spitfire ARF with Retracts and Flaps under $200!!!

Thanx for helping me out!!!
Old 12-31-2003, 04:39 PM
Kenny R

Default RE: Good Easy To Assemble Under $200 3D ARF All Hardware More Aerobatic Than Tiger II

Yub, yub, if you want a kit I think Paul Swanny's kits (Taco and Burrito) are about 50 bucks. I've never built one but people say they are very easy to build, and they fly well.

www.swanyshouse.com

To me there is no greater satisfaction than saying " I built it myself it's not an arf"
Old 12-31-2003, 06:08 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good Easy To Assemble Under $200 3D ARF All Hardware More Aerobatic Than Tiger II

why not H9? i just want to know. i just purchased a h9 funtana arf for $170 and it was very well built. just look at the reviews, i just want to know why you dont wanta h9 plane, everyone has an opinion and everyone is biased, thats what forums are for!

sean
Old 12-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

According to the ARF or RTF forum, many(but not all) Hangar 9 planes have either Hinge problems (like sig and Great Planes's CA Hinges) and/or have crappy mechanical retracts. That was the opinion of many ARF/RTF people.

H9 Funtana would be cool, actually. You can swap the hinges for Robart Hinge points. It doesn't have retracts, so there won't be a retracts problem.

H9 Aresti sounds cool too.

For any un-pre-hinged Hangar 9 plane, you can swap the hinges and swap the mechanical retracts for Robarts, but that costs SO MUCH MONEY!!!

I think there are some manufacturers that have ARFs that come with good mechanical retracts.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:48 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

David,
I think you're causing a problem for yourself. Very few 3D planes that I know of have retracts. Any of the Extras, Sukhois, Caps, One Designs.... are fixed gear, as are the radio control versions. (Most "pattern" plane use retracts however.)

There should be a LOT of "40 size" 3D planes under your $200 limit, and most come with all the hardware.

As for a Spitfire or other Warbird, I believe that World Models warbirds sell in the $150 to $200 range, and come with retracts. But they'd be mechanical and of questionable quality. Keep in mind, a truly 'good' set of retracts can run close to $100, so you won't find them in an off the shelf ARF. I'm sure I've seen others in that price range too.

A good "second plane" (with the throws set low) might be the Sig Somethin' Extra. It's a kit in the $70 range, and I believe it's now available as an ARF. (Not sure.) The Somethin' Extra kit is a fairly easy build, and is capable of decent aerobatics and many 3D manuevers (when powered properly). Would take more than a 46 engine for 3D though.

You have plenty of time to shop. By the time you get your trainer in the air (April at the earliest probably), and get good on it (July or August if you solo quickly and fly two sessions a week), you're probably looking at next September at the VERY earliest. I'm guessing that you won't really be ready to start aerobatics with that second plane until spring of 2005. If you learn quickly, you could probably be starting 3D by the fall of 2005.

Remember, you don't want to rush into something like 3D. You really need to learn the basics WELL. Otherwise you'll be a hack, and your 3D flying won't have that "magic" quality of the truly great RC pilots. It's much more difficult to un-learn bad habits than it is to avoid picking them up to begin with.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, just trying to keep you from being disappointed when things don't go as quickly as you hope.

If you have the money by January, for the NCRCC Auction in CT. You might be able to pick up a decent second plane, or a great kit at a decent price. I'd be happy to help you look.
Dennis-
Old 01-01-2004, 12:06 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also take a look at the Modeltech Magic Extra 300
Old 01-01-2004, 02:33 PM
raptor5900

Sorry DB but i have to say most OLD pattern planes use retracts.........any way i'm surprised no one has mentiond the UCD........But i also agree with you DB dont rush it (i got "good" fast but then hit a wall when i tryed 3D) anyway i'm just now getting it after thousands of hours in the air and sim.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

OK.

No Prob.

Sadly, I won't have the $$$ until April or May.

Yea. I get what you mean

Right now, the only thing dampening my enthusiasm is my budget.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:26 PM
DBCherry

David,
That's one enthusiasm damper you'll probably live with most of your life.

Raptor,
Yeah, I know, but it's only been in the last 5 or 6 years that Pattern flyers have stopped using retracts.

The "U Can DO 3D" was one o the ones I was trying to think of. I don't fly 3D, don't have any interest in it, so don't pay too much attention to what's out there. Guess doing manuevers that would kill a full scale pilot don't interest me. (It's fun watching flyers with Extras and Sukhois getting lousy flight scores at scale events, when they've killed their scale pilot a dozen times over.)
Dennis-
Old 01-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Hehe.

I don't want a 3d plane w/ retracts, just a warbird w/retracts. Might get Funtana, I'm thinking LATER like next year
Old 01-04-2004, 01:45 AM
BigSTIK40flier

dont get the funtana it dosnt 3D as well as the model tech magic extra, its 119 for the arf tower has it, the funtana is a good aerobat and flies very straight and true but if 3D is what your after then the funtana will disspoint you but that magic extra wont