Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Bad Start For the year...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Bad Start For the year...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Jinkers
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Start For the year...

Went out today to start off the year with a few flights on the buddy box and to watch the local clubs annual New Years fly in. Started out great with sunny, calm skies and warm temps. Flew two flights and tweeked the engine a little, then the skies got pretty crowded for a newbie so I watched for a while...

Saw a beautiful H9 P-51D readying on its second flight. Apearently it had had a few problems on the first flight but the guys said he had made a few adjustments and was going to take it up again. It was in trouble from the start, very unstable and kept trying to roll over. It had troubles climbing out and the pilot didn't seem to be able to turn it back toward the runway, just kept wobbleing and rolling and porposing out into the field. it reach about 200 ft and went into a death spirol and never recovered[] I didn't talk to the guy afterward so I don't know what happend.

The wind started to pick up so we went to another smaller field that that was less crowded and the wind is usually less of a factor. Flew another couple of flights and my instructor was ready to have me try taking off. While fueling, I watched another plane auger in (I think it was an Edge?), no known reason as of yet, to slow and to low I guess.

So, I start my plane for my first take off... and promply stuck my thumb and forefinger into the prop while reaching to pick up a screw driver I had left laying on the bench[:@] 6 stiches in the thumb and 4 in the forefinger. How stupid can I be!

I think I'm going to just forget today[]

-Jinks
Old 01-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Trombe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad Start For the year...

Ouch![:'(]
Old 01-02-2004, 02:43 AM
kh6oo

Ouch, hope it heals soon. I too took my first flight today, but only got about 10 Mins in. Simulator really helped. My luck was not much better though. Rain grounded us the rest of the day. 10 Mins is better then nothing. Oh well.

Tom
Pearl Harbor, HI
Old 01-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Seeing that you are from Pearl Harbor, I figured that you would have perfect flying weather year round. I guess it is warm enough but rain does play a role. I think I would put the receiver in a baggie, get a transmitter hood, and still fly!

ORIGINAL: kh6oo

Ouch, hope it heals soon. I too took my first flight today, but only got about 10 Mins in. Simulator really helped. My luck was not much better though. Rain grounded us the rest of the day. 10 Mins is better then nothing. Oh well.

Tom
Pearl Harbor, HI
Old 01-02-2004, 12:01 PM
glowplug

It rains in Hawaii?? [8D]
Old 01-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Oregon Craig

Tom, it is too snowy here to fly, so wanna trade?

Good WX to stay inside, build a little, maybe a little bit of hamming? (KH6OO)

See ya! de N7OR
Old 01-03-2004, 03:48 PM
KW_Counter

January 1, 2004
Showed up at the field at 7:30 AM - No one there!
Got about two hours a flying in all alone. I missed the comaraderie but the practice time was great.
My landings needed improvement so was able to do lots of touch-and-goes. Helped a lot.
Been flying my trainer upside down and my instructor said I needed to learn to roll out instead of loop out.
My roll out improved a lot - so did my aileron rolls.
Wind stayed down all day, people came in around 9:30 and the BS began. Finally left around 11:30 - very satisfied!
2004 is starting out great!!!

KW_Counter
Old 01-03-2004, 06:55 PM
ICE_MAN

My start has been good. Recieved Superstar ARF for xmas. Started and finishe within the week. Total build time under 15 hours! Next weekend plan to take it to the field for inspection and possibly maiden
Old 01-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

WHOA!!!

My tiger II has taken me more than 40 hours, and I did not make a single mod!