Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which Trainer had Problems?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which Trainer had Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 08:34 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Which Trainer had Problems?

I do my club's web page and developed a FAQ page for newcomers. It's not perfect, but it's coming along.

In that page, I recommend a couple of ARF and RTF trainers to look into.

I seem to remember reading recently that one of the trainers had wing problems, possibly due to bad design or construction.

Does anyone remember that link? I don't want to recommend a trainer that has problems when there are so many good ones out there already.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-03-2004, 08:12 PM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Trainer had Problems?

I heard someone in another listing say that their Hobbico Superstar wing folded in the wind.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:38 AM
N1EDM

Thanks for the feedback... was this a one-time event, or was this supposed to be a chronic problem with the design? Did you remember what that other thread said?

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 01-04-2004, 12:32 PM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

hi, sorry for the misunderstanding, it was the Tower hobbies Trainer that had problems. to find out more go to the Crash Pictures and Discussions forum and click on "Tower Trainer no more!"
Old 01-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really what you where looking for. But I have been flying an RCM trainer and I would like to help you with some info on it.

Assembly was easy
Flight is good.
The covering on it is poor. Wrinkled up real bad and won't shrink back. It has also pealed in several places.
The packaging of the plane fropm the factory was poor. I had a broken part.
Support from the company I bought it from has been great (Hobby People)
Old 01-05-2004, 02:31 PM
N1EDM

Thanks for the info, but that's not exactly what I was looking for...

I seem to remember a thread where several people wrote in about the same thing on the same plane. I don't want to start flaming things here, just wondering where that thread was that had the plane with the chronic design problem - I think it was the dihedral joint in the main wing, or just outboard of that joint....

I'm not trying to bash anyone else's plane in this thread....

Regards,

Bob
Old 01-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Montague

Lots of planes have minor problems, in fact, I suspect they all do to some extent or another.

One of the Avistar falvors is easy to assemble with an overly weak wing center that can fold in flight, but it's not really a fault of the design.

The Alpha occasionally has problems with the fuel tank stopper being too tight, and the nose strut likes to shed screws if they aren't locktited. Of course, most ARF trainers will shed the nose strut, I don't know if I've ever seen one installed with locktite.

Several Hobico trainers shared a commonly weak firewall that was only a matter of time until it came loose if you flew off of grass.

These are the ones I've seen first hand.

It wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturers have fixed some of these issues, and I'm sure there are lots more in planes I haven't mentioned.

YMMV. I wouldn't avoid any of the planes I mentioned above for the reasons mentioned. I would always check and double check anything pre-done at the factory before flight.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:25 PM
N1EDM

Moderator, please close this thread.

It's not turning out the way I had intended. I'm afraid that I'm creating problems, not solving them. This isn't going in the direction that I had intended.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-05-2004, 08:56 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Before the thread gets closed......just about any of the ARF's that hold the wing together without glue, will if pushed hard enough fail. The trick is to epoxy the two wing halves together and you won't have any problems.

Jerry
Old 01-05-2004, 11:08 PM
beginner_1

vmar- its hinges are bad :so people say. i never had a problem with them.but they fly nice. just check the hinges.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:25 PM
snowwave83

I am not entirely sure if the thread you were talking about involved the hobbyzone firebird, but I had owned on in the past the wing folded on me twice. The LHS replaced them both for free, I hope this was of help. I personaly would not recommend a "toy" like this as a trainer, but it could have been what you were asking.

steve