Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Running in OS .46 Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Running in OS .46 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 08:40 PM
xanatos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in OS .46 Engine

Hi All,

I am a complete newbie and have just purchased a Hobbico Nexstar. I intend to do the right thing and join a local club to get some seasoned flight instruction but thought I would try running in the engine myself prior to doing so. The OS .46 FXI manual does provide a detailed list on how to run the engine in but it assumes that the needle limiter, installed by the hobbico people is not present. The Nexstar manual however warns the user not alter the setting of the needle limiter.

So I guess my question is should I not bother to run the engine in?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Ian
Old 01-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Dewalt17

Default RE: Running in OS .46 Engine

Hey Ian,

Dont bother with what the Nexstar manual tells you. Read the manual for the OS engine that came with your plane. It explains pretty well how to break the engine in. Dont worry about the needle limiter that came with it. I didnt install mine on my Nexstar. The manual says to close the needle valve then open 1 1/2 turns which ends up being very rich. You can adjust back down from there.

Good Luck and Happy Flying!!!!!!

Sean
Old 01-02-2004, 09:09 PM
xanatos

Thanks Sean will do!

Ian
Old 01-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Xanatos, where are you gonna fly?

If you go to CMRCM, then I can finally see what all the NexStar craze is about!!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:28 PM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

I also own a NexStar and have had about 5 flights with it. I watched the nexstar fly prior before purchasing one. The only thing that was pleasing about it to me was the OS. 46's power, the air foils, and the realistic look of it. Other than that, it seemed to behave no different than other trainers. Also, the AFS gyro was USELESS and a waste of money.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:48 PM
xanatos

ORIGINAL: Yub, yub, cmdr!

If you go to CMRCM, then I can finally see what all the NexStar craze is about!!!!
Awaiting my AMA card at the moment - Once I get it there are two local clubs I think I'll try - the Charles River RC or Burlington. Probably won't get airborne for a while yet.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 PM
xanatos

ORIGINAL: bobs_201

I also own a NexStar and have had about 5 flights with it. I watched the nexstar fly prior before purchasing one. The only thing that was pleasing about it to me was the OS. 46's power, the air foils, and the realistic look of it. Other than that, it seemed to behave no different than other trainers. Also, the AFS gyro was USELESS and a waste of money.
It does seem to be the consensus around here that the AFS is useless - be interesting to see if anyone is regularly flying with it. The simulator is actually easier with the AFS turned off! I don't think I'll be using it
Old 01-02-2004, 11:17 PM
xanatos

ORIGINAL: Yub, yub, cmdr!

Hmmm CMRCM is pretty close too - know any instructors your way willing to take a complete novice?
Old 01-03-2004, 01:11 AM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

You know its interesting how a high speed needle was installed on some NexStars at the factory and others came bare. Mine had one but a few other NexStars at the flying field didn't!