Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can I fly without aileron

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can I fly without aileron

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 01:05 AM
spawnxx2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I fly without aileron

I am new to flying and have a kadet lt 40. I was wondering if I can fly without using the ailerons. They are installed but can I just not hook the servo in the receiver and have them stay put? I dont want to do anything fancy just get up and fly around a bit.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:07 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Can I fly without aileron

Yes you can as a lot of us learned on rudder only but I would still hook them up so the servo will hold them at neutral. Why do you want to fly without the ailerons?
Old 01-03-2004, 01:54 AM
RichD

my dad used to be in the hobby in the early 70's flying .10 sized planes with rudder/elevator/throttle only.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:15 AM
RichLockyer

I'd be very careful. Typically, planes designed for rudder control only have a little more dihedral than an aileron-equipped plane.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you could if you can lock them in neutral. Plenty of dihedral and enough rudder. But I wouldn't. The chances are greater that they will move while in flight, then you're screwed. My g/f built a LT-40 and its a wonderful plane. I strongly suggest flying with all four channels. Now my first plane was a Kadet Senoir, a three channel. Flies just fine but I really prefer the roll authority that a four channel plane offers. My Avistar actually is easier to fly compared to my Kadet Senoir.

Best suggestion I could give you, have an experienced flyer check it out and give you a hand with it during its first fights. It's just a good trainer and you can have a lot of fun with it.

Tom Nied
Old 01-03-2004, 07:05 AM
aimmaintenance

What radio are ya using?
If your using a computer radio you can use the dual rates to really turn them down.
As Richlock said, planes designed for rudder only have more dihedral than 4 chan planes.
Lookin at the pic of it on Tower hobbies it looks like the rudder is none to big.
You'd probably find out that with rudder only you'd might have a heck of a time turning the thing.
I'd stick with the ailerons. Turn em down (if you have a computer radio)
Adjust linkage if not a computer radio. (inside hole on servo horn) (outside hole on aileron horns)
Old 01-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Just fly and not use the aileron. I will agree that most rudder only designs that I have seen has more dihedral and this may effect your outcome. If you have computer radio, then mix a little aileron with rudder. I know it is cheating but you will get the feel that you are looking for.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:31 AM
spawnxx2k

Well, the reason I want to fly without the aileron is because the channel on my receiver is messed up and wont work. I just wanted to get up and fly. But I wont have any aileron control.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:35 AM
rcu guest-delete

Spawnxx2k,
WELCOME to this great hobby !!!
I have flown all models of Kadets, including Mk 1`s, they ALL fly great on rudder only, but the LT-40 has moderate dihedral, as other fellows said, non aileron designs have more dihedral. I am teaching my two sons ( 13 & 8 ) with an LT-40, and this airplane is incredibly docile in flight, but remember that on windy days you will have much more control with ailerons. Do you have a servo extension in the aileron channel for easy of wing mounting ? If you don`t, install a regular 6 inch extension to the aileron channel in the receiver and leave it there, that way you will have an easy-reachable way to connect your aileron channel when mounting the wing to the fuselage. If you have any or a million questions, feel free to drop me as many e-mails as you need, I and many other flyers DO like helping new R/Cers. <<[email protected]>> Good luck !!!
Old 01-03-2004, 10:57 AM
militaryman

i learned to fly with a crappy little thing that had rudder
/elevator/ and a motor on/off switch.

i learned the hard way because it crashed......... many times
Old 01-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a new receiver.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Fastsky

The LT40 would be a hand full if the wind picks up and you don't have aileron control. Besides if the aileron section is faulty on the receiver then something else may be ready to quit working. Don't take a chance, replace the reciever![8D]
Old 01-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Hatty

Actually, I have a 3 channel airplane and I have no problem controlling it. It gets a bit difficult in the wind, but its nothing too serious. But if the plane is designed to fly with four channels, then dont change it. I alos have to agree with everyone else. Getting a new reciever might save you a lot of pain and depression later. Crashing a plane is not fun, as most of you probably know.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:58 PM
phread59

I agree with most of the posters. Fix the radio and use the ailerons. I learned with them when ailerons were just coming into fashion on trainers. I was one of the first at the club I was with. It is much easier with all 4 channels. Training with ailerons will help when you move on. You will not have to relearn later.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Woodsy

If the aileron chanel on the RX is stuffed chances are the other ones may develop problems as well, get it fixed or buy a new one, a little cahs now may save your plane.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, listen up. I think most people are missing what you are saying.

You can fly using rudder for roll control, but when you are learning, you need to plug whatever servo you are using for roll control, whether it is aileron or rudder, into the roll channel on your receiver. When oyu are learning, you need to use your right hand, if you are right handed, for both pitch (elevator) and roll (aileron or rudder). Unless you are learning Mode I, of course.

Don't try to learn using elevator on the right and rudder on the left. If your receiver's aileron channel is bad, you need to get it fixed. This would be a weird way to learn and handicap you later.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Tweet

I have an LT-40 and I think you'll enjoy the airplane much more if you you find a way to fix or replace your receiver and hook up the aileron. Also, you'll have better luck in a crosswind with rudder/elevator.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Tweet

What I meant to say was...

I have an LT-40 and I think you'll enjoy the airplane much more if you you find a way to fix or replace your receiver and hook up the ailerons. Also, you'll have better luck in a crosswind with rudder/ailerons.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:23 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

they sell recievers here http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/P...receivers.html with free shipping, Just make shure you get the right shift depending what brand radio you have.

Dauntae