Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The NexSTAR IN Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The NexSTAR IN Flight

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 01:26 AM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The NexSTAR IN Flight

Hi, about how many times (max) have you all flown the nexstar without recharging the reciever's battery.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:32 PM
johnleveritt

Default RE: The NexSTAR IN Flight

I've gotten 5 flights every time on a full overnight charge.

See Ya,
John
Old 01-03-2004, 05:33 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, after an overnight charge, I wouldn't push it past 5 flights unless you have an ESV to monitor the flight pack....and don't forget the Transmitter!!!!!

Jerry
Old 01-03-2004, 06:47 PM
snowwave83

Ive got 7/8 flights on one overnight charge, I think ive got this many flights in 2 other times. Probaly not wise but I havent had any problems. Keep it down to 5 on an overnight charge and you;ll be fine.

steve
Old 01-10-2004, 01:01 AM
johnleveritt

At our field, my instructor won't let you fly with a receiver voltage under 4.7 volts, for saftey sake (also, if your batteries go dead in the air, say good-by to your airplane, and just hope that it's headed away from people when it happens). And that's around 5 flights for my NexSTAR. Today, I was down to 4.7 volts after 4 flights, so I recharged at the field, and got two more flights, then went home for an overnight charge.

See Ya,
John
Old 01-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Merlin III

Hey all -- New guy here.. I just purchased a Nextstar as my first glow trainer..I have not flown it yet, but I can't wait..I am still looking for a instructor..When you guys say 5 flights before a recharge is that with the AFS on or off?? From what I read the AFS will drain the batteries faster...Thanks...

Merlin III
Old 01-10-2004, 01:43 AM
Dewalt17

Yes its supposed to drain the batteries faster with the AFS on due to the system using the servos more frequently to adjust the attitude of the plane. I wouldnt know mine is unplugged and has never been plugged in. I havent heard of anyone using it much here either in the forums. Most feel the feature is useless and unpredictable unless used under ideal conditions. Most also agree that it wont help you in the long run to fly better. Once its turned off you are going to have to learn to fly all over again. May as well learn to fly the right way from the start.

The Nexstar has great flying characteristics for a trainer plane, you wont need the AFS. Just practice religiously with the Realflight sim and you will do just fine.

Happy Flying,

Sean
Old 01-11-2004, 03:32 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At our flying field yesterday there was about30 planes along the flight line.....and 5 NexSTAR's! But no one using the auto pilot!

Jerry
Old 01-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Shamas

Has anyone epoxied the center wing joint on a Nexstar for structural strength?
Old 01-11-2004, 04:59 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bobs,
Invest in a voltage meter. Tower hobbies sells one (Expanded Scale Voltmeter) for around $15. It will allow you to test your batteries regularly at the field. It'll be the best money you ever spend in RC.

For what it's worth, I have NEVER flown one of my planes with Rx voltage less than 4.8, and I've never lost a plane to a bad pack.
Dennis-