Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FUEL ??????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FUEL ??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 01:56 AM
FrogTwat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL ??????

Guys i have an ASP 40 in my worldstar 40 ... with fuel is there any reason to choose a nitro mix over a 4 to 1 castor/methanol mix ???? The motor is one of the "beefiest" .40's at the range and i was wondering if there was any need to run nitro ???????

I realise that castor is a little harder to clean off the model once the days done. Is there anything other than that ???????
Old 01-03-2004, 02:03 AM
Pilotsmoe

Default RE: FUEL ??????

0-5% nitro should work fine in that engine, what ever is cheeper over there. When you change to fuel with a different nitro %, you have to adjust the needle. All synthetic fuel should be fine, since it has ball-bearings instead of a bushing, like the 40la. When you are using fuel with no nitro, you shold be careful not to lean it out too much, especially with all-synthetic.Sometimes with no-nitro fuel, it is a little tougher to get dialed-in. Castor offers a little more protection in case of a lean run, so that should be fine too.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Banned

This sure isn't an answer.. Why do people add Castor oil to their fuel? I've got a EVO .46, and an Irvine .53 I run plain old Omega 10% pink stuff. Is the adding Castor just for 4 cycles? The cheezy Omega stuff I run has some type of oil in it already right? At what point should someone think about adding Castor to their fuel? - Joe
Old 01-03-2004, 03:04 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I'd have to say cause they like to have more cleanup... Synthetic's the only way to go. I run FAI (0%nitro) fuel in my 25% Sukhoi powered by SuperTiger's G-2300 with smashing success. Best part is, $6 a gallon!
Old 01-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Banned

Holy crap 3DFanatic! 1200+ posts here, and they demote you to Peanut Gallery Member huh? Someday I'll be there - Joe
Old 01-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASP's where designed with low to no nitro in mind. So you don't have to have the added expense. Run 0 to 5% nitro. As far as oil is concerned at least 18% of ether synthetic, castor or a combination of the two. 18% Oil content per gallon is a minimum and is what most fuel here in the states contain. Some folks will and extra oil to there fuel to bring it up to what Clareance Lee of RCModeler recomends 22% oil. So long as you don't run your engine to lean 18% oil is fine.
Good luck and have fun!!! [&:]
Old 01-03-2004, 06:50 PM
DeepSpace

Castor oil will give a smooth film of oil inside ( and outside ) your engine. Helps it run better. don't use it in four stroke. the valves don't like it.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Woodsy

I run 15% synthetic, 3% castor, 5% nitro in all my 2s and 4s engines with no probs
Old 01-03-2004, 11:27 PM
FrogTwat

Woodsy thats the type of mix i think i might run.... talking to a few ppl around they say that one is always better than the other!!! dosent matter who you talk to i think it might just have to be a buy and try till i work it out for myself... i started to use a 4:1 mix today ( no nitro) and what a bloody mess.... took a while to tune in properly but when it did it ran fine, not as much power at the stick im used to feeling WITH the nitro but hey !!!!!!

DID MY FIRST LOOP AND MY FIRST TAKE OFF TODAY !
Old 01-04-2004, 03:10 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Peanut Gallery member is my personal title
I concider it a high position because you always have to know two companies for every product out there so no matter what someone brings out, it's the "wrong" one
Old 01-04-2004, 03:20 PM
phread59

Castor oil IMHO is cheap insurance. Caster oil will protect an engine in a lean run condition. I would never fly without some in my fuel. I run 20% oil in my engines. I also like 3-5% castor. I know the goop is a pain but I live with it.

As for castor in a 4 stoker. I am looking at the manual for a Saito 80 right now. It said "any castor oil based fuel or synthetic system fuel on the market, high quality glow fuel(containing about 20% oil) in the 5-15% nitromethane range is recommended." I personally run 10% nitro and 20%oil with a castor mix (Byron's 10% sport mix) and have no problems with my Saito's. A change in glow plugs may be necessary. I had to change the one in my 50 to make it work ok. Used a Fox Miricle plug. Works good.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Woodsy

FrogTwat,
i started running this mix last year after i bought my first 4s, i used to run straight 20/5/75 mix of full castor but my 4s didnt like it, after talking about & reading everything i could on fuels i settled on this mix, i run OS#3 plugs in all the 2s and OS4s plug in my 4s..
So now i have 1 fuel for all engines, 2 sorts of plugs and a bonus of a lot less mess than straight castor