Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need help with planes sitting around

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need help with planes sitting around

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Hobbies for Fun
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with planes sitting around

I have an avistar with a thunder tiger 46 in it that has been sitting for 2 years untouched.

What all should I check and do prior to
1. starting the engine
2. flying the bird

I have been out of the hobby and I am sorta clueless.

Thanks

Big Al
Old 01-03-2004, 09:33 AM
jettstarblue

Default RE: Need help with planes sitting around

Turn the engine over slowly, and make sure it's smooth and free. If you have a bushed engine, you are in luck, probably won't need a thing. Take the battery packs out of the radio(s), and look at them to see if there is any corosion. (green or black crud) Check each cell with a multi-meter to make sure you don't have any bad cells. Charge them for 16 hrs. on the wall charger. Flush out the tank if it's EVER had fuel in it, and inspect the fuel lines. Drop a few drops of fuel into the intake, and turn the engine over several times, this will help to loosen any gummy old cator oil.
Range check the radio by putting the Tx antenna down, and walking at least 100' feet away.
Get someone who is proficient to help you foir the first couple of "re-introduction flights".
Ask a lot of questions here, and good luck. Let us know the outcome.

Jetts
Old 01-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Mikerjf

Make sure the engine turns freely, if it doesn't, don't force it. Take out the plug and load it up with WD40 and rock the prop back and forth till it frees up. Blow out the WD40 put the plug back and fire it up. As far as the radios concerned just charge everything up and make sure it works.

Mike
Old 01-03-2004, 09:51 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check all fastners and clevases and controll rods. make sure screws are tight and give the controll surfaces a little pull to make sure hinges Have not failed. and all the above replys.