Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A few questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Dave C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions

Good Morning. I am a novice pilot who has been gone from RC Flight for about 5 years. I am 56 years old and I have previously built and flown a Gentle Lady glider for a couple of years and now I am back. I lost my Gentle Lady in a field of wheat and could never find it. I’m sure the combine did though.

I am just starting to build a Spirit glider and it feels good again. Can you tell me what airfoil the Spirit uses for the main wing?

I am using the same table I built on a few years ago and I have one basic problem that is the same as I had back then. My table is a sheet of Celotex on top of a piece of particleboard on top of a solid door sitting up on two saw horses. My problem is that the table is not absolutely flat! How does a person make a table that is absolutely flat? I welcome all suggestions, as I am ready to scrap this table and build another. Please help me to figure this out.

My last question is how to balance my glider for Center of Gravity. I currently will use the marks that are shown on the plans and I read from an older article I saved about a sling to use. Can you offer your best method that you like? I have an interim glider to fly that is an ARF and I wanted to balance it. Right now I am using a stand I made with two dowels that support the plane at the CG on the underside of the wing using the marks on the side of the fuselage.

Thanks a lot. I love reading all of your stories and learning from all of you. I have an Eagle to fly with power after I get my wings back on and feel like it is time to fly in powered flight.

My congratulations to RC Universe for the improvements to the website!
Dave C Seaside Oregon
Old 01-03-2004, 12:38 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: A few questions

As far as your table goes, get a long straightedge such as a level and use shims where necessary. If the table sags, then you'll need to either get something different that won't sag or put some type of support under it. Take your time getting it right - it's important.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:00 PM
swooper

ORIGINAL: Dave C

Good Morning. I am a novice pilot who has been gone from RC Flight for about 5 years. I am 56 years old and I have previously built and flown a Gentle Lady glider for a couple of years and now I am back. I lost my Gentle Lady in a field of wheat and could never find it. I’m sure the combine did though.

I am just starting to build a Spirit glider and it feels good again. Can you tell me what airfoil the Spirit uses for the main wing?

I am using the same table I built on a few years ago and I have one basic problem that is the same as I had back then. My table is a sheet of Celotex on top of a piece of particleboard on top of a solid door sitting up on two saw horses. My problem is that the table is not absolutely flat! How does a person make a table that is absolutely flat? I welcome all suggestions, as I am ready to scrap this table and build another. Please help me to figure this out.

Since the door determines the table's flatness, I'd start over with a new door. Instead of supporting it at the ends, I'd bring the supports in about 1/4-way from each end, or suppport the door on some angle-iron.

My last question is how to balance my glider for Center of Gravity. I currently will use the marks that are shown on the plans and I read from an older article I saved about a sling to use. Can you offer your best method that you like? I have an interim glider to fly that is an ARF and I wanted to balance it. Right now I am using a stand I made with two dowels that support the plane at the CG on the underside of the wing using the marks on the side of the fuselage.

I think the dowel method is fine for models like the Spirit, but I use pencils with the erasers up.

Thanks a lot. I love reading all of your stories and learning from all of you. I have an Eagle to fly with power after I get my wings back on and feel like it is time to fly in powered flight.

My congratulations to RC Universe for the improvements to the website!
Dave C Seaside Oregon
You're on the right track, after learning to fly and land the gliders well, the Eagle will be a breeze!
Old 01-03-2004, 02:53 PM
ICE_MAN

If you want a "real workbench" Go to lowes. They have on made out of aluminum and it can be easily built. It includes 2 4foot loong 1 inch thinck pieces of particle board. One for the top (about 3-3 1/2 feet high) and one for the bottom(just above the ankles for heavier objects.) The bench also includes a sheet of particle board that goes another 2 1/2- 3 1/2 feet up. This shett has holes drilled in it to acomodate hooks as to hang tools. On top of this the aluminum extends out 1 foot over the work surface and holds another sheet of particle board (1'x4' to hold all the smaller thing such as bottle of cleaners ect.) Also The bench comes with 2 drawers a work light and an electrical strip ( ya know the ones that plug into the wall and have like 6 outlets?) I love my bench and I (14) assembled it in less than 4 hours. Requires no welding and pretty much slides together.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:19 PM
phread59

Check the celotex. It may be where your warp is. If it is and the particle board is flat just screw it to the particle board. If te particle board or the door or both are warped try this. Get a piece of 3/4 MDF and rip it in half long ways. Flop the pieces together and cross screw them together. Screw from the top and bottom. It will be straight and stay that way with the screws. Then put your celotex on the top of that. I would say to use 2 pieces of MDF but that will get heavy and be harder to keep flat. best of luck and welcome back.

Mark Shuman