Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs help joining 2 wings...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie needs help joining 2 wings...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:48 PM
SpykeYs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help joining 2 wings...

Hello,

I just received my Great Planes ARF Cub. I did join the left and the right wings togheter like they said in the manuel. I glued the joiner.. and also did put a load of Epoxy 30 mins on both side of the wings..

Right now it did glued and looks solid.

My question is.. Should I also put a fiberglass cloth in the middle of my wing ? (Where I linked both of them). I saw a guy doing this.

Sorry for my bad english. Not my main language.

Well thanks alot and I hope someone will answer me so I can continue working on my wing :P

Thx
Peter
Old 02-22-2004, 08:23 PM
echobot

Default RE: Newbie needs help joining 2 wings...

The plane kit should have come with a strip of fiberglass cloth.

I always put a fiberglass strip down the center of the wing halfs. Make sure you do the top and the bottom. You can use the 30 minute epoxy to secure the fiberglass cloth to the center of the wing halfs.

Ed
Old 02-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Crash Master

If you are going to glass the joint as echobot suggested using 30 minute epoxy, once you get the cloth wrapped completely around the joint and you put the epoxy to it, lay a piece of waxed paper on top of the epoxy and with an old credit card, or something of this type, go over the joint working the epoxy in real good and feather outward from the joint. The waxed paper and credit card will give you a nice smooth finish that shouldn't need any sanding before you cover it.

Hope this helps,
Old 02-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Cessna26

I did not put anything for the first few flights. I crashed my plane but it was not because of the wing. I then put nylon cloth on top of the joint. It is like fiberglass but not as good I think. There was no fiberglass availble at the time. Since mine came covered I just put it on top. Its a trainer it does not have to look good. It is sticking on the wood a little where the servo slot is. But the rest is on the monokote.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

OOps! I missed the fact that this was a pre-covered ARF. In that case the fiberglass reinforcement can't be done unless you peel back the covering. I think you were OK the way you were without the fiberglass. Putting the reinforcement outside the covering won't do as much good. It has to bond well to the wood surface. Non ARF kits and cover-it-yourself kits come with the strip of fiberglass cloth for the reinforcement. Some people use CA to attach it. I prefer the epoxy as described above.

I hope you get the plane back in the air. What you have added to the wing shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the Kit is not designed to use it, Don't add it.

Fiberglassing the wing joint is sometimes used for kit building, but ARF's are designed to not need it.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:01 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C-26, putting the glass right on the monokote is like not having it there at all. It is strickly dead weight.