Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
What Trainer >

What Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Trainer

HI I was Wondering what Trainer i should get. I havent flown for a while so i dont really know whats out. If you can pls tell me a good place to buy an affordable arf, I would be glad.

Radley
Old 04-16-2003, 12:31 PM

Default What Trainer

I can only speak from my own experience, but I would highly recommend the Sig LT-40 Kadet. It is slow, stable and sturdily built. If you have any building experience I would try building one from a kit. It goes together easily, is relatively cheap (about $80.00) and you get to know a lot of the ins and outs of the plane. If you were not on the other side of the country, I would be glad to sell you mine. Unfortunately, it is too large to ship. I'm sure you will get plenty of other ideas from other members. Good luck and happy flying.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default What Trainer

I agree with ross8236. The Sig Kadet LT40 is an excellent trainer. I built one with a .46 engine and bolted the wing on instead of using rubber bands. My only problem with the one I had was that it required some nose weight to balance. It was mildly tail heavy. With the .46 you have plenty of power if you need it but you can fly very well when throttled down. I bought mine as an Arf (only my second ARF). I have been building since 1934 and still prefer to do it that way. I do not, however, know much about the kit version. If it is as good as Sig's other kits it should be fine. Street price for the ARF is about $130.00. Unless you already have the radio and engine you will have to add that to the price.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Banned

Default What Trainer

There are LOTS of trainers on the market... most are decent, but a couple stand out better than the rest.

Sig LT-40 is about the best. (especially if comparing ARF models)
THe RCM Trainer, by Global Hobbies is another very good one, and there was (may still be) a deal where the trainer plus engine (ARF) was $139... hard to beat price. (Needs the engine compartment painted with 2 hour epoxy... fuelproofing and improves engine bearer joints, the only bad point of the model.)

I would recommend not getting the US AirCore trainer... its on the heavy side. (but it is durrable...) The Duraplanes are also heavy. Heavy trainers make it harder to learn.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:19 PM

Default What Trainer

I totally and absolutely agree w/ Ross, ballgunner, and FHH that Sig's LT-40 in either the kit version or the ARF is an excellent choice that you'll not regret making.

I fly a LT-40 ARF powered by an O.S. 52 four stroke and feel its the best 4 channel trainer kit produced. Sig's 3-channel Kadat Senior (using the same 4 stroke engine) and a Futaba radio system is really the ultimate RC model that I've ever flown. The Kadat Sr. is a great slow-flyer and its large size makes it easy to see. Unfortunately, like any model w/ very low wing-loading its not the best plane to fly in high winds. The LT-40 handles wind a little better. Of course neither Kadat model is what you'd call aerobatic - but then this is not a quality you'd expect (or particularly want) in a trainer.

Mark in Missouri

Old 04-20-2003, 06:43 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default What Trainer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I agree on the wind with a high wing trainer took my xtra easy out this past monday wind 14 to 18 mph.
have not had much experance with that much wind! not to pretty sight on first flight plane gets in air start to turn, gust of wind hits plane,plane slams trees bushes, GROUND. ordered new fus, wings. lesson learned [LOL]

Old 04-21-2003, 03:40 PM

Default What Trainer

I haven't been flying long, about 60 hrs in the air so far, but I have a Tiger Trainer 40. An ARF with engine and radio included for $300. It can fly slow when you want it to, or you can throttle up and run it through loops and basic aerobatics. I've even gotten it to fly inverted for a pass. I like it and I'm ready for my second plane. Looking for a mid wing design that can do more aerobatics.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Banned

Default What Trainer

For the second plane, its hard to beat the Sig Four-Star 40. Its able to be trimmed to fly as stable as the trainer (it comes with a begginner's guide... it makes a good trainer with the CG 1/2 inch ahead of the spar) It can also be trimmed to do a lot of aerobatics. Construction is veryquick and easy. (the running joke is... open box, dump in glue, shake well, completed plane falls out.)

Handling planes in wind... try to do take-off and landing directly int the wind if possible. If you have a cross-wind, apply SLIGHT aileron into the wind, and be ready to correct EITHER direction with rudder. This works whether using a high wing or a low wing model. Note that if the wind is from the left, you'll have more trouble with take-off than if the wind is from the right. The torque of the engine helps a bit when taking off with the crosswind from the right.

The "weathervaning" effect is worst when the plane is just about to lift off. You need to be ready to level the plane quickly when t gets off the ground. When it begins to drift with the wind instead of weathervaning (its an effect of having the wheels on the ground) the correction input you've been giving wll suddenly be too much.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:58 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default What Trainer

I have had good results with the Tower Hobbies Trainer 40. And right now it is priced lower than when
I bought mine. You can get a package complete with engine and radio for around $289 The plane alone
as an ARF is priced lower than it's ever been $79.99 . The good thing about tower is their guarantee.
If you fly at an AMA charted club with an instructor, and your plane crashes.....they replace it free.
It happened to me and they replaced my plane AND two servo's. I think that's worth telling others
about!!!
P.S. I am still flying my second trainer and it has taken some hard landings, and a couple "patches"
but it still is flying.