Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Deciding on a trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:09 PM
lionheart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on a trainer

Ok... I've got two Trainers in mind. I really like the the features and extras of the Nexstar and the "guarantee" , etc. But I really don't like the price. I also am leaning towards the Tower Trainer because of the price. I can get going with it for a good c-note less. Do you guys think the features and extras of the Nexstar out weigh the affordability of the Tower Trainers?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Dewalt17

Default RE: Deciding on a trainer

IMO the Nexstar features are somewhat worth the money. I have been wondering if they took off the AFS would it be cheaper, because you dont need it. For me one of the best features the Nexstar has is the bolt on wing. There are many guys at my club that have trainers with rubber
bands and they all agree that they are a pain in the butt. I know the rubber bands are supposed to be more forgiving when you crash but for me it doesnt outweigh the ease of a bolt on wing. The other features are great and the simulator program is worth its weight in gold.

There are other trainers with bolt on wings that are cheaper than the Nexstar, its up to you. I havent had any experience with the Tower Trainer but im sure its a good as any other trainer.
As long as it teaches you to fly it doesnt matter what you get. You may have a little less anxiety when first starting out if you buy the cheaper model.(just a thought).

Have fun whatever you choose and good luck.
Happy Landings,

Sean
Old 03-19-2004, 01:35 PM
shag26272
My Feedback: (2)

hey i just ordered a hangar 9 arrow it comes complete with everything you need installed already. Ive built and folwn RC planes around 8 years ago and wanted a trainer that was a decent price and user friendly. I payed around 295 shipped from southeast RC it seems like a pretty good deal if you were to add up all the stuff seperately. And also it seems to have gotten pretty good reviews. I think there is a cheaper one also the alpha which is about 275 with engine and radio installed.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:40 PM
lionheart

I've read somewhere that the rubberbands should be replaced each flying session because of fuel and exhaust weakening them. Is that true? Also, it seems to me that the bolt on wing could really get mangled up un a hard crash landing. Is the bolt designed to shear to help prevent this?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Dewalt17

ORIGINAL: lionheart

I've read somewhere that the rubberbands should be replaced each flying session because of fuel and exhaust weakening them. Is that true? Also, it seems to me that the bolt on wing could really get mangled up un a hard crash landing. Is the bolt designed to shear to help prevent this?
The bolt is designed to shear off, unfortunately unless its a really hard crash it doesnt shear off.
My dad also has a Nexstar and cartwheeled it due to a "dumb thumb" at low altitude. The bolt did not shear off. I thought his plane was going to be trashed. To everyones surprise the only thing damaged was about 3 inches of the right side elevator. After seeing that I think the Nexstar is a very durable plane.

As for the rubber bands, Yes you need to use new ones everytime you come to the field. You can make several flights with them, just make sure to check them everytime you go up.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:57 PM
CRFlyer

Actually, the rubber bands can be re-used if you are carfull. I have a container with baby powder in it. After flying, I put the used bands in the container with baby powder and shake to coat the bands. The powder will help to dry the fuel and oil off the bands, thus allowing you to re-use them. However, you must check each band when using it to make sure it is in good shape.

I usually use 7-8 bands on each side when flying. If you re-used about half your bands, and used new bands for the rest, you should be in good shape.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

i know your not looking for this answer and it wasnt even an option buuuuuut.. Avistar arf $99.99.. you should look at it..
Old 03-19-2004, 02:11 PM
lionheart

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'm really trying to do my homework before sticking my toe into the RC waters, so to speak. I THINK, i'm going to try to stick with a trainer that is complete with radio, etc.. I believe it'll be cheaper starting out. Later, after I've gotten proper training with a club and have gotten some flying time, I'll get a better radio and aircraft. I'll check out those other planes you referenced, too!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

Kyosho Calmato, also $99.99 builds in about 4 hours, has bolt on wings. Excellent flier! Well built ARF.

Just another option.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:16 PM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter which plane you buy try to get you am OS engine, because you want to be first a pilot and the a mechanic.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:22 PM
jucava

Also at first I was reusing the rubber band with talc powder, until one day when I saw my wing clapping in mid flight, at that point I realize that $3.00 for a pound of rubber band #64 at Office Depot was cheaper than the $300.00 that my trainer cost me.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:36 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I re-used the rubber bands a couple of times on my trainer and never had a problem. I also always used 10 to 12 total and crossed the last two, because fewer bands can cause what jucava described. I would never recommend less than 10 on a 40 size trainer because the wing can lift off the fuse in the bottom of a loop (or dive).

I won't recommend a specific trainer because although I've flown a few different ones when instructing, I haven't flown them all. I WILL say that all the ones that I have flown flew equally well. I'm not sure there's a very big difference between any of the popular ones, Nexstar included.
Dennis-
Old 03-19-2004, 06:41 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

I keep a bowl of kitty littler in the flight box when I take the trainer out!!! Why not you already use kitty littler like oil dry in your garage, on the drive, etc.....

Another nice ARF that has the advantages of a semi-symmetrical wing like the Avistar is the TUT-40 by Power Line Hobbies....... www.his-hershobbies.com has them for $75.00 bucks!! I put one of these together the other day....the hardware kit is not the greatest but most ARF hardware kits aren't. The plane is nice, looks nice, is strong, light and the wood looks good to boot. A nice inexpensive all laser cut ARF......
Old 03-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Jumpnjoe

I think the simulator is reason enough to pay the extra c-note. It's invaluable...not even counting the other "extras".
Old 03-19-2004, 08:28 PM
dkf1979

I got my Nexstar off of Ebay brand new from SlotCarRaceway for 359.00. There is still a bunch on there for that price. So I think the extra money is well worth the simulator, rookie gadgets, crash gaurantee, and not to mention the O.S. .46 FXI. An excellent motor. First time I started it up, it toook one swipe with the chicken stick and she was purring.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Dewalt17

ORIGINAL: bodypilot

I got my Nexstar off of Ebay brand new from SlotCarRaceway for 359.00. There is still a bunch on there for that price. So I think the extra money is well worth the simulator, rookie gadgets, crash gaurantee, and not to mention the O.S. .46 FXI. An excellent motor. First time I started it up, it toook one swipe with the chicken stick and she was purring.
I paid 359.00 for my Nexstar also. I bought it at the LHS. There is a giant hobby store farther away with great prices. My LHS matched their price which turned out to be great for me. And I didnt have to pay shipping.YEA!!!!!! A lot of hobby stores with match prices in magazines too.