Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

FMS vs. REALFLIGHT

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

FMS vs. REALFLIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 02:04 AM
mburian02
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMS vs. REALFLIGHT

How much of a difference is there between the reality of the FMS and REAL FLIGHT???? i have fms but i can't seem to be able to get this flying thing figured out before i actually take my plane up
any help would be appreciated
thanks
mike
Old 03-20-2004, 02:14 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FMS vs. REALFLIGHT

Real Flight would not be easier to fly than FMS if you are already using a transmitter adapter for the computer.

You can get into the settings of FMS and turn down the realism to make it easier... and once youstart getting some success, then start turning the realism back up.

You would also be amazed how much you will improve on the sim after an experienced RC pilot gives you a lesson on an actual model. Its proabable that you have an incorrect concept about how to properly operate the model. If you don't know the correction... you'll just keep practicing the wrong thing and make it worse.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:28 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FMS vs. REALFLIGHT

There's no comparison between Real Flight and FMS. FMS will let you learn orientation and stick movements, but it's useless for taking off and landing. Much easier than the real thing.

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but I'd guess that you're slamming the sticks around like it's Nintendo or an arcade game. When I'm flying a trainer to instruct someone, I seldom move the sticks more than a 1/4 of an inch in any direction (except throttle). So I'd suggest that you try really small stick movements.

Over reacting to what the plane does is another big mistake. If the plane starts to bank too far to the right for example, a gentle input on the ailerons to the left will stop it. Putting in too much will cause the plane to bank too far to the left.... Eventually the oscillations get worse and you lose control.

Remember too that the plane takes a brief moment to respond to your input. It's not much, and I think it's more evident on a real plane, but it is there.

As FH mentioned, if you can get even one flight with an instructor, you'll find learning with the sim much easier.

Good luck and have fun!
Dennis-