Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

3D

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 01:30 PM
taurus02914

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D

Hi, I am not new to the hobby, but I am always learning somthing about it daily.
I hear the tearm 3d used often here, it seems that a good part of what I am reading containing the term 3d is not realy 3d.
Could anyone interested, please give your description of what 3d realy is.
Thank You in adavance for the info.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: 3D

I am sure your going to get some varied answers on this one. Here's mine. Quique(IMHO) invented 3D. He called it flying beyond the stall. This is a good description. The first time I saw Sean McMurtry do a 3D flight I was awestruck. I can remember my group of flying buddies standing there wide eyed. The plane seamed to be defying the laws of physics and gravity.
So I would say 3D is controlled flight with the airplane stalled.

david
Old 03-20-2004, 06:51 PM
taurus02914

Interesting "flying beyond the stall" so most fun fly type aircraft with the right setup and of course right pilot could be flown 3d style.?
Wait the longer I think about it if "flying beyond the stall" is considered 3d, then any plane with the right power supply etc. can be flown in the 3d style would you say this correct?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:50 PM
CarolinaCrasher

Technically yes, any plane can fly 3D. But the most common types are the fun fly, profiles, and aerobatic planes such as Caps and Extras etc. My favorite description of 3D flying is that it is a helluva lotta fun!
Old 03-20-2004, 08:24 PM
WCB

3D=stall interrupted by short episodes of flight[img][/img]
Old 03-20-2004, 10:24 PM
daveopam

Taurus I would say that is somewhat correct. Most any over powered plane can do some 3D. Like hover.However it takes a special animal to do the really extreme stuff. Like a blender or elevator or knife edge harrier. If you look at the best 3D planes they all have some things in common. Long tail, large control surfaces, tall fuse sides and light wing loading. There are some fun fly type planes that will do some 3D. The Pizzaz and Sig Something Extra come to mind, But to do all out wild 3D they look like what I discribed above.

David
Old 03-21-2004, 02:57 PM
taurus02914

Thanks daveopam..
I am a frequent flyer of many moons I never realy took an interest in new terminology being used I have heard the term and seen it often over the last few years or so usualy in mags etc. always seems to be used on a cover somwhere with a pic of a 30% dragging its tail in the grass.I do think I do have a better understanding.
I guess I need to stop training so much and actualy read a mag once in a while.

WCB great interpratation

I love this stuff....................
Old 03-21-2004, 05:07 PM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

Is this 3d flying new? I remember going to a model airshow when I was about 12 or 13 and no one was doing this. This was about 15 years ago. I would say a third of the members at my club are doing this. For the life of me, I can't see what the big deal is. I'm sure it requires a lot of talent, but it just doesn't interest me at all. Why not just get a helicopter? I'm new to rc and only have 3 planes (finished). There are a lot of other new people at my club too who are wanting to do this type of flying. I brought my ultra stick to the field and it seemed that the first question asked was "will that thing do 3d?" or "you should have got a profile for 3d" The first time I saw one hovering, I was impressed, but after hours and hours of doing it, it looks like they would want to actually fly it. I don't know, I guess that's why they make different planes.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:32 PM
taurus02914

Amen zetor I know the feeling. I have always disliked the fun fly type of airplane for the simple reason its to simple, I find for myself that I get lazy flying that style, although I love to do the manouvers with the non 3D stlye airplanes, makes for a real challenge. Besides theres nothing like coming in on a good approach nice descent 15 20 mph crosswind lots of rudder and grease it in.[8D]
Helicopters dont realy fly, there so ugly the ground repels them!
Not original I read it.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:03 PM
daveopam

I can see your points about 3D. For me it was a bordom factor. Once I mastered a trick I was looking for the next one to learn. 3D opened up a new bag of tricks to master. It's also exciting to see a plane do something you have never seen before. Hovering is one of the hardest things I've tried but is far from the most fun to watch. Some of the stunts I mentioned earlier are much more enjoyable.

David
Old 03-21-2004, 10:28 PM
smokingcrater

why 3d for me... first, the challenge of the tricks. lots of very precise movements needed, hovering a small plane is just about as hard as my micro heli. also the general lack of speed for 3d. fast models just don't appeal much to me, what is the point, to fly circuits around because that is all you can do before it is out of site...?