Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

AMA

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 03:54 PM
GTac01
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA

How am i supposed to get ama if their site only has a 3 month subscription or something. How can i get the full year subscription, and is it true minors get discounts.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:50 AM
xchangx
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: AMA

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the 3 month thing, you'll see a link to the full subscription
Old 03-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Mindwarp

Hi GTac,

Congratulations on taking a very responsible step. I'd just like to point out though that just as with every other type of insurance you can buy the AMA requires us all to follow a basic safety code to be eligible for the insurance. This basically means that if the worst happened and you needed to make a claim against the AMA insurance but were flying in a manner that was in violation of the AMA safety code then they reserve the right to deny coverage. You can find a copy of the 2004 Safety Code under the 'Membership Services' menu on the AMA home page. The code itself isn't particularly strict or draconian - it's all pretty much just common sense safety tips, but it's always a good idea to read through it and make sure you understand the conditions of insurance.

Good luck,
Neil.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If oyu want to register online with a creadit card then use this link
http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Membership/index.php

It is true, your membership is $1 if you are under 18.

ORIGINAL: GTac01

How am i supposed to get ama if their site only has a 3 month subscription or something. How can i get the full year subscription, and is it true minors get discounts.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:23 PM
GTac01
Banned

OMG, you people that are worried aboyt me getting the AMA should have mentioned THE $1 PART!! lol, that would have been kind of and incentive...

BTW, do I get it by mail? by when??
Old 03-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Usually you will get your response by mail (AMA card).
You can also call them to verify receipt and ask them to fax the approval to you.

OMG, you people that are worried aboyt me getting the AMA should have mentioned THE $1 PART!! lol, that would have been kind of and incentive...

BTW, do I get it by mail? by when??
Old 03-21-2004, 05:57 PM
BelIblis

Also, the $1 subscription does not have the magizene, and if you get the card (just a thought here ) it will not cover you unless you are flying under certain rules. Most of which are assuming you are in a club.

Other than that, this is a good idea, and I hope that you will never need that card I always hope that whenever I look at mine anyway...
Old 03-21-2004, 08:10 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The only limitation on the members that get the $1 (or $14 {or is the total $15..} with magazine) is that they be of approptiate age to get the discount.

Under a certain age (I think its 14) you would be a "Junior" member. above that age (15 to 18) would be a "senior" member. This classification isonly going to matter in certain specific contest events. (where those who are "junior" compete with each other, and "senior against others in thier age group... and 19+ compete againt each other. Most of these events are... Free Flight and Control Line, not Radio Control events.

A Junior or Senior member has the SAME insurance coverage as an "open" (19 to whatever age they have for senior citicens) or even a Life member. As long as you obey the AMA safety code and don't violate federal laws, and obey the flying sites specified safety rules (which are part of the Safety Code by definition....) Then you have your insurance coverage. You can fly at a club field or "Uncle Bob's" Sod farm or the local park or your own back yard... as long as you have proper permission to use the site, and are being reasonbly safe... there should be no problem with the insurance.

Don't try flying a .40 powered trainer off of the street infront of your house in an average neighborhood.... that's fairly obviously unsafe. Its fine to fly a plane such as the "IFO" in an average front yard... they can fly in a 30X30 area easilly.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:56 PM
GTac01
Banned

thx fhhhuber .

How long did it take any of you guys to receive your cards?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

But for under 18 your parents need to sign this thingamabobber that you get off the internet. You then mail or fax it back to the AMA.

PS The card has a coolio number.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:55 PM
GTac01
Banned

I did that fax thing DUH. When can i expect to receive it?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:15 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Give it a couple weeks. If you need proof of membership, call the AMA and request they fax it to you. You can have that in a few moments.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:31 AM
MikeMc

I did that fax thing DUH. When can i expect to receive it?
DUH? I see what you guys mean but it might be better to just ignore him. Better yet block him by clicking the traffic light next to his name. I just did.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Oregon Craig

ORIGINAL: MikeMc
Better yet block him by clicking the traffic light next to his name. I just did.
Hey, that works! Thanks.

GONE! DONE!
Old 03-24-2004, 05:05 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Cool... no more McMike. (no loss.)
Old 03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And another GTac post goes south. Man, this kid brings the worst out in everyone. This sux. [:-]
Old 03-24-2004, 06:11 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

I've been busy for the last few days but i just sent mine thru there online service.Sounds good to me and by the time i need it i hope to have it.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:02 PM
CrashBurn69

I did my application over the internet on Monday. I called today to get a number faxed to me. The answer I got was "it would be at least next Monday before they could even confirm they recieved my application".
Old 03-24-2004, 10:47 PM
5_spot

This weekend it's supposed to be raining and the wind blowing so it looks like i should have mine when i need it,the online service seems to be good and i'll call and get a copy faxed to me,cant wait.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Zombie

ORIGINAL: 5_spot
... i'll call and get a copy faxed to me,cant wait.
They will send a membership verification via email - if one prefers or doesn't have fax capabilities. I got a copy that way. It took two days from my request and payment of dues. I received my card a week later.