Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

HELP With Flaps???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

HELP With Flaps???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 05:45 PM
adamtheace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP With Flaps???

How do I set up flaps on my airplane?? I have two aileron servos with each connector running to a different plug on Futaba standard RX. This leaves me with one functioning aileron regardless of flap switch position. When switch is on I only have one flap and no aileron. What am I doing wrong? Please help
Old 03-21-2004, 07:51 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: HELP With Flaps???

What transmitter are you using? What you are looking to do is to use Flapperons, which requires a mixing function in the transmitter, not all tx's can do it.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:55 PM
FHHuber
Banned

First to check... did you plug the 2nd servo into channel 5 or channel 6? I have never seen a factory program for flaperons that used channel 5. (you can do a manual program for it on many computer radios though...)

You have to computer program the mix of (normally) channel 1 and channel 6. (on the Futaba radios there is a menu item for Flaperon. make sure the "INH" is not active... as that means it is "Inhibited" and won't work.)

Once the flaperon function is activated... THEN if both ailerons move the same way when you try to use ailerons... you need to reverse channel 6 OR channel 1, whichever aileron is going the wrong way.

Some non-computer radios can do flaperons. It will be pretty much the same. On the futaba 6DA, there is a switch in the battery compartment to activate flaperons. The 6DA wants the flaperons on channels 1 and 6. 1 and 5 can not be done without a mixer device.

MOST non-compter 6 channel radios CAN NOT do mixing... Inthat case you would need to purchase a mixing device. $30 appx for a little circuit that you plug the box into the 2 channels you want mixed, then plug the servos into the box. Ten you have to adjust the switches and potentiometers on the box. (best is if you can keep the potentimeters near centered....)
Old 03-21-2004, 10:44 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FH,
I've heard of mixers that you can buy to set up elevons, but can they be used for flaperons? Or is there a different "mixer" available?
Dennis-
Old 03-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

YOu have to say which transmitter you are using.
If it is a 4 channel model you may have problems.
If it is a 6 channel, plug it into 1 & 6 and enable flaperons and flaps.

ORIGINAL: adamtheace

How do I set up flaps on my airplane?? I have two aileron servos with each connector running to a different plug on Futaba standard RX. This leaves me with one functioning aileron regardless of flap switch position. When switch is on I only have one flap and no aileron. What am I doing wrong? Please help
Old 03-22-2004, 05:54 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

FH,
I've heard of mixers that you can buy to set up elevons, but can they be used for flaperons? Or is there a different "mixer" available?
Dennis-

The same mixer device will work... its doing the same job of mixing 2 channels for makign one move the 2 surfaces the same direction and the other channel to move them in opposing directions.

The difference between elevons on a flying wing and flaperons on a "conventional" aircraft is... the "flap" knob does the "flap" function instead of the elevator stick channel being used to get the "elevator" function. So... you just plug the wire labeled for "elev" on the mixer into the flap channel. Done. Now its a flaperon mixer instead of an elevon mixer.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:09 PM
rctrax

HiTec flash five uses ch five for flaperons as that is all it has.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:18 AM
adamtheace

sorry Im late on the reply guys. Im using a Airtronics RD 6000 Super TX.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:05 AM
adamtheace

problem solved guys thanks for all your input. adam
Old 03-26-2004, 03:19 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, share.

How did you fix it? What was the problem? Let's all learn from your experience.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:32 PM
adamtheace

I activated the flaperon function and then I reversed one of the servos for ailerons. If the flaps go up instead of down switch the servo connections at the RX.