Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine and RC

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine and RC

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 03:17 AM
kukarzev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine and RC

Hi everybody,

I am about to build my first trainer, which is going to be a SPAD (BUHOR or similar). I figure that I need
a .46 2-stroke engine, servos (how many?) and RC equipment. What would be the right choice? The price
is an issue! I am thinking about something cost efficient, neither top of the line, nor the worst and cheapest.
I hope to use the engine in future planes. As for the radio, I guess I need 4-channel, but it seems there are
tons of them. Which one is right? What should I look at when I am choosing the radio?

What do you think, guys, what would be the optimal choice?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2004, 03:33 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Engine and RC

If startup cost is an issue... then get the Tower System 3000 4 channel radio. Its just a relabeled Futaba. (Last year's model) At appx $99 on sale (and its almost always on sale...) Its usually right on the price to get a "discount" which will be equal to Tower's shipping charge.

Best "bang for the buck" .46 2-stroke engine I believe is the Thunder Tiger Pro .46. Its not the cheapest. Its not the most powerful. It is a good reliable engine that can give several years of service.

2nd place in "bang for the buck" is the Magnum XL .46. Its a little cheaper... but won't last as long as the Thunder Tiger.

3rd place is discontinued now... the O.S. .46 FX. A little more powerful engine than the Thunder Tiger, but considerably more expensive. They do run very well and last a LONG time. I haven't seen the new engine by O.S. replacing the FX series... (they messed up with the replacement to the FP series... The LA series is not on any of my recomendation lists.)

I would recommend a higher wingspan to wing chord ratio than the typical "BUHOR" The basic design is OK... for a RC combat model and a general have fun flying model. Reduce the chord and increase the span to where you have the same wing area and make the span 6 times the chord. Keep the leading edge of the wing the same distance from the tailplanes and move the balance point forward proportionately to how much you reduced the chord. It will be a better trainer.

Even better would be to try the SPADET or the Debonair. They are the best of the SPAD type models for use as trainers.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, you will need 4-5 servos. Usually, when you but a 4 channel radio, 3 servos come with it.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:29 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

And you'll need one gallon of fuel. And a glow igniter..
Should last you the season, but another 10-20 bucks [each] you'll need to spend!

Over the season, you'll aquire the rest of the 'field equipemnt' you'll need
Old 03-22-2004, 12:07 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Radio:
Tower system 3000 w/4 servos US$ 130
Futaba 4YF w/4 servos US$130
Hitec Laser 4 /w 4 servos US$127
Airtronics VG400 w/4servos US $ 135

I would choose the HItec, Futaba or Airtronics (and in that order) (prices are from towerhobbies)

Engine:
I would say a .46 since the buhor is a bit heavier (btw if you are goinf for the buhor scael it down a bit (85%) and will be great!!
GMS $75
Magnum US$ 90
OS LA US$ 65
Stigre US$75

I would go: Supertigre, Magnum, OS, GMS (in that order)
just found the evolution engine US$80 with propeller and pinner (that's a plus!!)
and a Thunder Tiger .42 for US$50.oo (wow!!!) not familiar with the brand though
these las two were on quantum's web site www.quantummodels.com
The fact that you rraadio is 4 cahnnel does not mean it will only be good for your trainer, the radio can last you for the 2nd and 3rd plane as well.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:29 PM
kukarzev

Thanks, guys!

I'll try to sum it all up. All further suggestions are more than welcome, since I'll spend a couple of days studying the market before buying anything anyway.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:26 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Start going back through posts on the beginners forum. There is a ton of information that will answer almost all your questions. Use the search function. Select topics and subjects only. Feel free to ask questions. There is a lot of good advice here.