Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cost comparison - RTF-ARF-Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cost comparison - RTF-ARF-Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Steve CT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost comparison - RTF-ARF-Kit

I was talking to my local hobby shop guy this last week and I was saying how I may want to buy a kit soon and start building it.

He told me that if you are worried with cost wise it is cheaper to buy the ARF plane instead of a kit build kit. I have my own radio so that is not a question.

Is is possible that when all things are done and said you will spend less on a AFR plane verse a kit build. I am talking about gas tanks, motors, covering etc.

If this is the case I can see me doing a ARF verse a Kit just to save the cash.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Cost comparison - RTF-ARF-Kit

IF you have to buy EVERYTHING.. "building board,all the ca's,epoxy,sanders,bits,etc,etc,etc"i think it would be cheaper to get an arf.. but if you plan on building kits in the future spend the $$ build the kit.. then you will have all the tools youll need to build future kits... the initial cost is pretty hefty... but after awhile you'll build a 199.99 kit rather than buying a 699.99 arf
Old 03-22-2004, 04:09 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

You could build a SPAD to.. I almost wish I did. Have this beautiful LT40 waiting to be flown and I'm mildly concerned about tearing it up. I'm not sure how SPADS fly though. I know my plane is going to fly great! Like someone else said an ARF will be cheaper on your first plane for sure but there are other things to consider. If you are like me you won't use a lot of the included hardware on your plane. I upgraded most of my hardware. Something that is harder to do on a ARF. Of course if it turns into a pile of toothpicks I'm stripping the good stuff off it.. Also if you are like me it will bug you if there are building defects on the ARF.. My own defects are fine as they are mine but others would bug me. Back to costs. If you build you will incur a lot of costs. Knives, glues, razor saw, miter, clamps, model table($60 or so), pin vise, drill bits, wire cutters, covering iron, heat gun, metal ruler, the list goes on.. You'll be set for building though and you'll learn the skills to build a nicer second plane. Trainer is supposed to be more forgiving of build errors. I'll find out.. : )

[link=http://www. spokanerc.net]www. spokanerc.net[/link]
Old 03-22-2004, 05:29 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Typical ARF .40 size trainer: $99 (airplane only)

Typical kit for a .40 size trainer: $75 plus $30 for 2 rolls of covering (could cost $20 to $45... depends on whch covering) plus glue plus fuel tank plus spinner plus..... (should bother listing it all?) You end up AT LEAST $150 to get the equivilent aircraft.

Fokker Dr1 appx 1/5 scale kit: $150 plus $60 for covering materials plus $35 for wheels plus $30 for scale machine guns plus.... (ends up near $500)

GP Fokker Dr1 ARF... $250.

For a lot of aircraft, you just can't beat the cost of the ARF.

There will be some imprvement in quality of the model if done by an experienced modeler rather than assembly line constructed. You are trading off control over quality of construction and choice of finishes and modifications that might have been possible for a quicker, less expensive way to get a model in the air.

Sometimes it a very good trade. (the Fokker Dr1 for sport flying.... most ARF trainers...) Sometimes its not the best deal... the quality of some of the scale warbirds leaves something to be desired. and there is no easy way to imporve the ARFs.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:57 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I have both ARF's and kit built planes. For me, building is an end in itself. I like to build. I find it to be enjoyable where a lot of people don't. ARF planes offer the least investment to get going. But, as you may or may not know, there are some planes that can't be obtained in an ARF. So in the case you might want something that's not offered as an ARF, then building is the only way...unless you PAY to have it done for you. That option makes the ARF look even better from a cost point of view. Another positive aspect of building is...it will teach you skills you will need when it comes time to repair that ARF.

Of course if it turns into a pile of toothpicks I'm stripping the good stuff off it
...this WILL happen to you on a few occasions too...you do the same and in time you will have spare parts and hardware, if you should want to give kit building a try. This scavenging of parts will in time make kit building a more cost effective option.

Initially though, I would say the ARF is the way to go. Get's you flying quicker.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Skribnod

I would have to agree , if you want to be up flying faster go with the arf. But as for quaility you can not beat a good kit. Fhhuber stated that for the same price you end up with the equivelent but I have to disagree. Building from a kit will give you a much better built and longer lasting aircraft (as long as you are a competent pilot). I find with the arfs they skimp on glue , wood quality and structure strength. 80% of the arfs purchased are not half as well built as a kit (if done properly) . As for cost efficency yes some arfs may be a little cheaper but why not build a airplane that will outlast a arf for many years.If you have the time and the money to support the initial cost of building tools go for it. I just finished up a patriot kit and I dont think you can buy one of these in a arf form for under the $142.00 I have invested in it. Actually they discontinued the arf model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39492.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	114325  
Old 03-22-2004, 06:34 PM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

There is no way my sig se kit is going to end up costing more than the arf version that sig has. The kit costs 75.00. The arf is 200.00. That is the biggest difference in price between a kit and the same arf that I have seen. I've assembled 3 arfs and have many of the tools needed for a kit build. I bought a damaged hollow core door at home depot for 12.00 and two rolls of monokote which is 20.00 more. So far that is my only expense. This is my first kit and I'm surprised at how easy this thing is going together.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:44 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

If you have the time and the money to support the initial cost of building tools go for it
I agree with that too...I did...but many beginners will not make the investment. I think your opinion is from the perspective of someone who has been at it for a while. Indeed I CAN build a better quality plane from a kit than the usual cookie cutter ARF. But keep in mind...
Is is possible that when all things are done and said you will spend less on a AFR plane verse a kit build. I am talking about gas tanks, motors, covering etc.

If this is the case I can see me doing a ARF verse a Kit just to save the cash
...when a beginner knows nothing of the hobby, he might not be armed with enough info to make the best choice. Unfortunately...finances are a guiding force when people enter the hobby. Noone wants to spend what turns out to be a sizeable investment, on a hobby they may or may not stay with.

Besides...what you save today on that ARF vs the "kit" might buy you some needed field equipment...from a beginners point of view, that might be the better option.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Skribnod

Most beginners want to be up and flying A.S.A.P. like myself when I started flying. I didnt even consider a kit at the time and after 25 arfs I now only build kits. I have seen a product from just about every manufacturer out there and very few are built anywhere near a kit quality airplane (for the prcie). I have touched down at 30+ mph without landing gear coming down on my patriot and skipped 5 times across a grass field only to have to repair the monokote.....try that with the GP shoestring. From what I have seen there is practically no way to keep the gear from ripping out of the fuse on a normal landing. That is why I have not yet flown mine since assembling it. Maybe this summer if I find the time when we have a crappy weather weekend. I guess I just ending up getting disqusted in the quality of the arfs and the money they cost.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve CT

I was talking to my local hobby shop guy this last week and I was saying how I may want to buy a kit soon and start building it.

He told me that if you are worried with cost wise it is cheaper to buy the ARF plane instead of a kit build kit. <<<snip>>>
As you can see, there are a couple of different perspectives on the Kit vs ARF question, and even a SPAD proponent spoke up. If cost is an issue, don't feel bad if you find and buy a very inexpensive ARF (check http://bissonmufflers.com/en/aircraf...ch_results.htm - the Phoenix ARF's are still on sale, but the one trainer is sold out. The other is still $54.)

On the other hand, if you want to build, and aren't in a rush to get to the field, by all means build a training plane. The trainer kits usually have good instructions and plans.

Build kits, or buy prebuilt, either way, welcome aboard.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 03-22-2004, 09:49 PM
phread59

The things I have noticed. For smaller sport planes and trainers it is cheaper to ARF. When you get into bigger and scale models it is cheaper to build a kit. Giant scale stuff is cheaper by far to build.

I build all of my planes. Either from plans, kit or scratch. I enjoy it, and I will not trust anyone else to build my planes. I see too many failed ARF posts here. I am not saying ARF's are bad. I just don't personally trust them. And building as I do I am not limited in any way. I build what I want.

I want to just point out that even to scratch build from plans does not take a pile of money for tools. I use a couple of razor saws, an electric drill, A cheap scroll saw (less than 100$), A few triangles and an assortment of sanders, a metal yardstick, a tape measure and a couple of knives. I use a vise at work. I do not even own a Dremel tool, never needed it. With the saw I have less than 200$ in tools. Yes there are a few tools I want to buy. But these tools will get the job done. There are a coupla cheapie tools I forget but they cost less than 30 bucks. And a box of single edge razor blades and a iron.

I thought I would just point this out. Good luck with your decision.

Mark Shuman