Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for a semi-symetrical high wing trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for a semi-symetrical high wing trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Ouiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a semi-symetrical high wing trainer

I have decided that my first plane will be a semi-symetrical high-wing. This has come after many hours of research on the web and talking to people in my local club. They are very enamored with the Avistar, but I am leaning towareds the Hanger 9 arrow. Any opinions on the better choice or a plane I am missing? I am looking for something that will keep me interested and will be able to handle the wind at our field. Being in Texas, flat bottoms tend to float till you run out of runway.

Any advice?
Old 03-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Crashem

Default RE: Looking for a semi-symetrical high wing trainer

I have decided that my first plane will be a semi-symetrical high-wing. This has come after many hours of research on the web and talking to people in my local club. They are very enamored with the Avistar, but I am leaning towareds the Hanger 9 arrow. Any opinions on the better choice or a plane I am missing?
If your local club likes the Avistar why not go with a plane they are more familar with???

IMHO either will do the job!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:38 PM
northriver21
My Feedback: (1)

I am looking into the Kyosho Calmato. Its fairly new and I have not heard alot about it, but what I have heard has been good.

Tower has them on back order for 99.99 right now they say they'll be in early Apr. I have one in my shopping cart waiting to buy when they come in.

I dont think it comes in a package with radio,engine, but maybe worth looking into.

PS. between the Arrow and the Avistar, I like the evolution engine that comes on the Arrow, It would go in most next planes, and they are very user friendly for new pilots.
Thats just my opinion, I have some experience with hanger 9, but none with the Avistar.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another great one to look into is the Midwest Aerobat:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=164
Old 03-23-2004, 03:01 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me put in my two cents for the Avistar. Nice flier, ez to asemble, well thought out and very well put together. The 40LA is a fine engine, not as snappy as some, but it's more than adequate for that plane.

Andy
Old 03-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Ouiser

I'm probably going to go with the ARF whatever I end up buying. I may end up spending more at the beginning, but I won't have to buy a 2nd engine for a long time if I get an AX or FX right off the bat. Same with the radio.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

avistar hands down.. put a thunder tiger pro .46 and you will be happy
Old 03-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

I have to give a BIG thumbs UP for the Calmato. It's an excellent semi-symetrical trainer, as well as a great intermediate trainer. I was doing a lot of upside down flying this weekend. Very well built.
I have an OS 46LA on mine, would be even better if I hadn't ruined my TT 46 pro.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:26 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

OK..here's a thought. Check out the Global Right Flyer. It is a 60 size trainer (easier to fly and see) with a semi-symmetrical airfoil. It is a very well built plane, not too heavy, and a LOT of wing area (light loading). I have an OS 70 Surpass II in mine with a 13x6 APC and it flys great! I also set it up with a servo on the nose gear, Y harnessed to the rudder servo. This allows you to get it set up without any binding in the system. It is capable of loops, rolls, stall turns, inverted flight, etc. This plane will take you to an intermediate level. Has stable flight characteristics, but is quite agile too.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

In my opinion the Hanger 9 Arrow has the advantage because of it's semi-symmetrical wing and one i was very interested in,then i saw the Alpha 60 RTF and decided this is for me.Main reason is easy to see and fly (it will fly upside down also) ,then you have a engine and tx when you finally decide to move up to a 2nd plane.There are probably more but i like what i got.
* Just my opinion *
Old 03-23-2004, 08:52 PM
canmann

I 2nd the Alpha 60
I have one and as you get better it gives you the option of removing the flywheel and switching to a 2 blade prop for more power and performance.
Good engine and well made kit.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:50 PM
forestroke

If you're looking for a trainer, I also second northriver on that Calmato... easy to build and easy to fly. But if you're looking at a trainer that you might be able to grow with... why not try out the hirobo's sky limbo max. It isn't the easiest to build nor easist to fly, but it is an aerobatic, high-wing tail dragger with no dyhedral. Okay that just about makes it terrible as a first plane...

If you're looking for something pretty, the Calmato is really a nice bird. I have flown my beginners many times for first flight trim and to put him on the buddy box

If you're looking for an easy build and overall good kit quality, the WM Raider Mach I would be my choice (thought about getting it myself!)

Seen the avistar... nice but not enamouring. Never seen the arrow.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Ouiser

I looked at the Calmato but I don't like that there is foam in the wing. I also don't like the colors for some reason.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:34 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Goldberg Falcon 56 or Falcon III. Great plane and will handle the wind no worries.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Rhilluk

I learnt on a Chriss Foss Wot 4, these planes are super stable, used to fly it in 50mph wind and it was still stable as a rock. Never bouced on landing, you could crash it onto the runway and it still wouldn't bounce. I know they're kits, but they're very easy to build. You can also get a symetrical wing I believe when you progres. I could tail slide mine till it hit the ground, which I did, landed on my wheels and took off again.