Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I hate wind

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I hate wind

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 03:07 PM
ironj21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate wind

Hey,
I finally got aircore trainer done about a week ago. It took me a couple days just to do little things such as adjustments and alignments. This plane was a lot of work but it came out perfectly proportioned and symetrical so i'm really happy with it. But anyway, now that the plane is ready to fly, the weather isnt cooperating here in NJ. Its been very windy everyday for i cant even remember how long, and its so frustrating, because i dont want to attempt to fly in it. I mean, i cant even get just one calm day.
I was wondering what kind of conditions everyone else here flies in? Whats the highest wind you will fly? How much do light winds effect rc airplanes?
Old 03-23-2004, 03:46 PM
MikeMc

Default RE: I hate wind

Right on the edge of SF bay (sometimes we're over the water) so it's wind wind wind and more wind with turbulance thrown in just for fun. Just Saturday I had 2 "I can't believe I didn't crash" incidents due to very low altitude and wind. At least 10 mph or a lot more with big gusts most of the time. Makes it more fun I guess.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:49 PM
volkan

i know how you feel, i havent been flying for 2.5 weeks.
but it does make sence, i live in london.
there is always wind and rain!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:07 PM
donhef

I know what you mean. I'm in Central NJ and haven't had a good day for flying since January (remember the "warm" Weekend?) My Instructor won't take me out unless it's under 10 MPH. My Avistar loves the high altitude winds, but getting close to the ground gets a little hairy. Cheer up, it can't last forever!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:08 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

I live in NW Arkansas and so far the wind has been about 30 mph but being March I recon that is normal. I have flown in about 20mph winds with an ugly stick and I think maybee a super sportster. But I prefer a nice low to no wind day. I dont mind the 5mph winds. It kinda helps you slow down in landings.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Mindwarp

Chicago, IL. Last time I flew was November last year.

*sigh*
Old 03-23-2004, 04:20 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

I am in eatern PA, 10 miles to NJ and these are not the wind conditions that you want to fly, at lest with a trainer.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:10 PM
BelIblis

I live by Detroit, and the last time I flew was in October *eek*
Old 03-23-2004, 06:15 PM
taurus02914

Rhode Isalnd flew last two Sundays it was about 20mph crosswinds w/ some snow/ sleet.
Flew in 40mph+ with a old mongoose.
The wind isyour friend!
Old 03-23-2004, 06:23 PM
5_spot

Last weekend or at least saturday some people flew but not for long,the week before that,the field was all muddy and it looks like it might be blowing this weekend,i'll have mine ready (hoping ) as long as it gets here but who knows what will happen.I thought about not putting the wing on and letting it run on the ground just to watch it if everything else fails.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:50 PM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a GP Big Stik 40 and I know I can handle wind up to 25 mph(I measured it), it's a lot of fun making the plane fly backwards, the landings are hairy, but a lot of fun.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:15 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in NC and I have to go first thing in the morning this time of year to miss the wind...even then it can be a problem,,last week I got off work (3rd) waited for the sun to heat up things abit about 45, slight wind at the house....6 miles later I get to the field and the wind just about closes my car door...cant fly a trainer in that kind of weather...but I plan on going thursday morning .....Rog
Old 03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
outa control
My Feedback: (22)

This year I flew at least once every month even in windy cold conditions. I flew in up to 20mph gusting winds which tossed my super sportster around which wasn't much fun. I needed to know what my limits were and I think 20mph is enough for me. Everyone has a different limit when it comes to flying in wind. Some don't mind it and some do. The trainer I had liked to balloon up into the sky when the wind kicked up but I had to learn to deal with it if I wanted to fly. It seems that everyone flies on sunny calm days but add some wind and you might have the whole field to yourself. Hang in there. You'll fly soon.
Wind and throttle are your friends.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:10 PM
forestroke

I've had a lot of experience flying in wind and i must say that you have to have the right plane to make it fun... I have a piper cub that absolutely hates the wind... not so much when it's in the air but when it's on the ground. If you cant take off directly against the wind, the cub just groundloops like a top. I have a small bipe that is the same... absolutely can't take off safely... landing is almost always better...

but I have a zen 50 that absolutely just slices through wind. It's a heavy pattern plane (retracts and .75 2-stroke) that flies beautifully even in gusty winds... landing is a breeze (no pun intended) and ground handing is superb. In fact, without winds, the plane is a bear to land... I've always thought that for landings, unless its 90 degree cross winds, the wind is our friend.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:21 PM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

WOW
ORIGINAL: taurus02914

Rhode Isalnd flew last two Sundays it was about 20mph crosswinds w/ some snow/ sleet.
Flew in 40mph+ with a old mongoose.
The wind isyour friend!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:52 PM
FHHuber
Banned

How much wind you can fly in depends on the airplane and the pilot's skills.

A beginner should try to avoid strong or gusty winds while learning basic aircraft control. Then... depending n the airplane, you should begin learning hw to deal with wind.

In this area, if you can't handle a 10 mph, gusting to 15 mph condition... you don't fly often.

I have flown in 20 knot gusting to 27 knot winds (as reported by the airport, less than 2 mi from the flying site)

I just got done doing some heli hover practice in 12 knot gusting to 18 knots today, with a .32 powered Centruy Hawk. I seem to be able to hever better in wind than in calm conditions.

I have flown in weather that forced me to land at 3/4 throttle... due to the ice that had built up on the wings. If you can stand to be out in it... the average .40 powered trainer can fly in it. (If the pilot knows how to handle it)
Old 03-23-2004, 11:01 PM
crashland 73

how do you compare the knots to mph? I have allways wondered that. Anyone?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:04 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I forget the exact conversion... a "Nautical mile" is somewhat larger than a "Statute mile" The Nautical mile is somewhere near 6000 feet. (we could look it up) Its a simple conversion... just like converting miles to kilometers.

http://www.boatsafe.com/tools/scale.htm

Here is an on-line converter.

A nautical mile is 6076.12 feet
Old 03-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Skribnod

I go back home when I dont have to apply throttle in order to take off.......then its too windy to fly.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:56 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

A nautical mile is approx 6080 feet, and a statute mile is 5280 feet. A kilometre (or kilometer in the US) is five eights or .625 of a mile (statute).

Celsius to farenheit is C X 9/5 plus 32, and back is F minus 32 X 5/9.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:34 AM
FHHuber
Banned

I gt my Nautical mile measure by.... entering one in the Nautical mile box of that site... and getting how many statute miles it was...then plugged that into a calculator multiplied by 5280... (maybe the site isn't good for getting true answers?)
Old 03-24-2004, 05:14 AM
SBR_RV

hehe i could fly my Gws mustang everyday with out any trouble. Thers rarly any wind around here. could've gone out today with no wind but i had school.
I live in australia down south east.
Winters reach a 12-18 degrese during the day times, not much rain (unfortuently) no snow of course, most days clear blue skys but the summers can get a little hot untill it cools down at about 8.00 pm.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:19 AM
Woody 51

Wind is the one thing that's constant where I live. In summer between 15-30 knots is normal and winter sometimes stronger. Fall and late Spring are the only times that the wind drops below these figures.

I have some models that I would not even consider bringing out on extremely windy days (Piper Cub for one) and others that are boring to fly on calm days (Precedent Fun Fly, Fox .40 ABC powered.)

Its a case of "Horses for Courses." Though as a tip, heavier models handle wind better. (Mind you, an Aerobird on a very windy day can be fun as well.)

My Precedent FunFly can handle winds of 30-40 knots no problem, though in strong winds, landings are a case of turn it into the wind, throttle back until its standing still and then let it settle to the ground.

Don't let the wind freek you out. It's part of nature and if you let it worry you, you won't get much flying done, ever.
You will find that even on the windiest day, that the air is "lumpier" close to the ground.
Fly higher and it will be smoother and concentrate on keeping the models wings level!
Old 03-24-2004, 05:28 AM
Langster

Hi,

I have flown my 40 powered Scanner recently in winds that gusted to 35kph but it was not pleasant. Like a pylon racer on the downwind leg but very slow penetration on the upwind leg. You can use a stronger wind to try a few things like easier stall turns and vertical climbs but it gets a bit dull after a while.

I watched a jet fly on the same day quite easily but even then the landing was a bit tricky although a 40% plane didn't seem to be bothered at all. I think that if there were 35kph winds all the time where I live I would buy an indoor electric chopper or something similar to fill the time. It still wouldn't be the same though. Perhaps I might get into more streamlined dart shaped aircraft with higher wing loadings which may be more suitable for these conditions.

Langfire
Old 03-24-2004, 10:00 AM
crashland 73

I think i need to go to school again. I feel completely dumb!! LOL! The knot is kinda out there for me. As for wind prob's, I am going to buy me a gas buggy from Traxxas, or something the sort. That way I can still RC and not worry about making a crash site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.