Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

very confused

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

very confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 01:48 PM
xplayer930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very confused

Ok well i masterd my electric glider as i have metioned in earlier post. I am in a fogg a was plane to get next every one keeps on telling my i dont need a gas trainer and that i should just go on to a more advanced plane, but not to advanced. (soloed on second flight). I have alos been playing wiht the flight sym for about 11 months. Wold the U CAN DO .46 be good. Cuz i have been looking at that plane for quite some time. I was told that since i have been useing the sim and flying nearly every weekend on the electra i should do fine????
Old 03-24-2004, 02:01 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: very confused

A U-Can-DO is a good second plane due to it being able to fly slow and land slow, but you haven't flown a nitro powered plane before. There is a difference between flying a nitro powered plane and an electric model. Unless you have one of those big hacker motors on a Giles, extra, edge, etc... Some thing faster and bigger. I have a sim (realflight G2) and it is a very good sim, but it isn't reality. You may be able to get a Avistar (Sport Trainer), aerosport, etc... as you first nitro plane. Since you do have some experience with RC planes a total flat bottom wing trainer may be skipped, but a leap into an acrobatic nitro plane may be pushing it. If you have help (an instructor), you may be able to do the U-Can-Do as long as the throws and CG are not wild. Keep it mild and you may be ok with an instructor first who can fly those type of planes. I would lean toward the avistar or aerosport sport planes first.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

The UCANDO .46 was my second airplane. It has very light wing loading and found it just as easy as my trainer to fly and land.

The most important thing about learning to fly r/c is that you can control the aircraft. If you can control your glider and understand the controls, then you are ready for another plane.

I flew a Hobbico Superstar for about a month last year and then got my UCANDO. It flys awesome, it's capeable of 3D (even though I am not) and I can't wait to fly it again this year to improve my skills. It's a plane that will grow with you.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:27 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone is different. For most people, I would say to stay away from the UCD as a second plane. The only people who could say for sure are your fellow club members who have actually SEEN you fly, and KNOW your capabilities and limitations.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 03-24-2004, 06:33 PM
xplayer930

well what about the tower hobbies fun 51 it has a big air surface
Old 03-24-2004, 06:40 PM
xplayer930

well how about a rupture .40??? Thats more of a sport plane.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:55 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Mike said, everyone is different, so recommending whether or not the U Can Do would be a good second plane for you can't really be done.

I WILL say this; if you can easily fly and land everything (including something like a Cap 232) on Real Flight, then your chances of doing okay with the U Can DO improve a lot. If you can fly everything well on RF. and have someone who can land the U Can DO for you the first flight or two, then I say why not. Keep in mind, the U Can Do will NOT land anything like a glider.
Dennis-
Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

This is a fuzz off topic, but I really feel that I am missing out on some flying technique by going straight to the UCANDO. Like for instance

1) Gaining real taildragger experience. With the UCANDO you can just "Goose and Go" it takes off in about 5 feet with a Saito 72.

2) Higher speed flying

3) A true stall that ends up in a spin requiring some sort of recovery technique. (With the UCANDO it stalls, drops the nose and flies again and it will porpoise like that all the way to the ground)

So, I haven't aquired all of the requisite skill sets to be a good pilot with the UCANDO. But I get to fool around with hovering, knife edge and harriers. So it is definately a tradeoff.

What I don't like about primary trainers is that they aren't good for much else. So after the first month, espcially with previous glider experience, your ready for something else. So at least get a trainer with a .46 or similar and use all the radio gear in your next plane.

Try hard to find someone with a trainer plane who wants to sell it, get it cheap and then sell it a month later to get your $$ back.