Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

NexStar landing gear question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

NexStar landing gear question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:04 PM
MitchH2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NexStar landing gear question

I'm putting in the landing gear, and it one is sticking out further than the other. Looking inside, it appears they are in the correct position. Is this normal ? I was thinking this is to compensate for torque ???

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94446.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	115459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31082.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	115460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99564.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	115461  
Old 03-25-2004, 06:09 PM
northriver21
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: NexStar landing gear question

I dont think this is normal, did it lock in place? pull on it and see if it wants to come out.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:15 PM
MitchH2004

Heh heh, you were right I was afraid to break something so I wasn't pulling on it hard enough. It cam out though and I put it back and it locked into place, symmetrical to the other one. Thanks [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-25-2004, 06:23 PM
northriver21
My Feedback: (1)

Hey, I actually helped somebody.

One thing I noticed with mine is if you push in the holes underneath the airplane to take the landing gear out, then when you go to put them back in the springs wont engage, and the landing gear pull right back out. They wont lock into the holes in the landing gear. How you fix that is take a long screwdriver and push the tabs back into place from the inside of the plane look inbetween the servos and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:41 PM
MitchH2004

Great, I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks again Northriver21 !

MitchH2004[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-25-2004, 07:01 PM
SENZA

Hey have you flow that baby yet mitch?..........looks good
Old 03-25-2004, 08:19 PM
MitchH2004

Thanks. No, not yet. I'm giving myself a few weeks flying the Real Flight simulator on the computer before heading over to the club. I have a an AMA certified instructor who is going to show me the ropes. I just want to get used to flying the plane towards me and not moving the sticks the wrong way.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:50 AM
SENZA

hEY MITCH do yourself a favor,remove the air brakes and afs from the start while you have the instructor with you i did and saved myself some time in learning to land with out them,but dont remove the wing tips.its a fun flying plane! you might want to add a muffler extension its made of rubber and it aids on having to have to clean the plane up at the end of the day helps direct the flow,also if your going to use a power starter you might want to add a aluminum nose cone the plastic ones when wet from fuel tend to spin alot when starting and the prop losen up when it kicks back, most hobby shops keep both products in stock......good luck and have fun......BILL
Old 03-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you remove only the flaps and not the wing tip droops, then you'll have to significantly alter the trim of the elevator. Check the instruction book. It tells you of the effects each has on the model. If you remove the flaps, then you'll have to compensate for a strong nose-down tendency.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Dewalt17

ORIGINAL: northriver21

Hey, I actually helped somebody.

One thing I noticed with mine is if you push in the holes underneath the airplane to take the landing gear out, then when you go to put them back in the springs wont engage, and the landing gear pull right back out. They wont lock into the holes in the landing gear. How you fix that is take a long screwdriver and push the tabs back into place from the inside of the plane look inbetween the servos and you will see what I'm talking about.
Mine does the exact same thing. Thought it was broken. Hobbico wanted me to send in the fuse so they could check it out. Thats when I tried the screwdriver trick on the inside. Its been holding ever since(aprrox 40+ flights).
Old 04-11-2004, 07:12 PM
kokpit

Mitch! Fancy finding you here!

Glad you sorted your gear out, could have been embarressing later, or a real skills test

Had my Nexstar up today on its maiden flight. Posted details and pics at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1690950

Careful with the fuel tank issue, seems I may be second at our club with the problem, though first guy fixed his and I don't know what the answer was! [&o]

Catch u later mate,

Kev.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:30 PM
jvk1976

Hi there Nexstar owners,

Remember to check the landing gear to see if there locked in place everytime you fly. I went to my local field today and was getting ready to fire up my nexstar when the landing gear slid out of its harness. Good thing I noticed it before it was airborn. I suspect a hard landing I had yesturday was the cause?? Everything else has stayed together except for a loose screw where the motor mount meets the firewall. I have about 20 flights on my nexstar and just recently removed the speed brakes and wing droops. Roll rate is much quicker and can even do outside loops now. I tried one before they were removed and the nexstar would not even start to climb inverted. Having a lot of fun with this aircraft.

JVK
Old 05-09-2004, 08:04 AM
MitchH2004

Hey Kokpit ! Just saw your reply a month after you left it !! For some reason I cannot explain, I built my plane then went into a R/C car frenzy. I actually just got in touch with a trainer yesterday and going to give him a call this week to plan a meeting. I'll let you know how it goes. (I've been avoiding the AGW for a few months, ever since that virus thing went around)

<S> Mitch
Old 05-09-2004, 12:34 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to disagree with some of you, but I thought the speed brakes were great! It slowed the plane down so even full throttle wasn't too fast. And with the brakes on, this bird couldn't stall which made my day when some newbies were practicing their first landings!!!!

Jerry