Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

It flew this morning

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

It flew this morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 01:23 PM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It flew this morning

This morning i woke up to a windy day,it wasn't that hard but i went to the airfield and there were some out there but not many flying,too windy.I talked to the guy that i want for an instructor and told him what i bought,he asked if i brought it with me and i said no and i want you to be the first to fly it,he says ok so i went back home and away i went.When i got there the wind was kinda getting hard but i bolted the wing and the rest was history.All the people that was there really liked it,sometimes i couldn't get close to it,lol but i was glad everybody liked it and told me it was a nice plane,trouble is they couldn't believe it when i told them it was ready to fly except what i put together,they were impressed.I asked the guy if he would check the prop to make sure i had it tight enough and he said it wasn't tight at all,i thought i tightened it pretty good,o well.He put fuel in it,asked me if this is the first time the engine has run and i said yes so he checked the plane out and said it looks and feels solid then when he tried the tx he commented how smooth the controls were,no binding at all.He started the engine and ran it a few minutes to warm up then adjusted the carb but found it was almost perfect so away to the runway we went,it taxi'ed then up and away but when he gave full throttle the engine died,upon retreiving it back to the pits he started it again but this time he went up using 1/2 throttle,she flew just fine considering the wind but he and others that were watching said the prop was too big so he brought it in and changed the prop to a smaller one.Restarting and warming up away it went again and he had his hands full as the wind was terrible,but he liked it,i can't believe how hard it was blowing,when he brought it in to land ?,it wasn't hardly moving and she sit down just fine but when he picked it up to bring it back into the pit area it was all he could do as the wind was really blowing now.It was a good flight and no i didn't get a chance to fly it,just too windy but at least i saw it fly so it was a good day after all.
*good memories in my mind*
Old 03-27-2004, 02:29 PM
northriver21

Default RE: It flew this morning

5spot, good to hear it went well. It does'nt sound like ideal training weather , but at least you saw it fly.
Dont get so excited to fly it that you lose your plane .

I did that with my first plane an Alpha 40. I didnt know that the wind speed exceeded my ability.
Hard lesson learned I destroyed that plane in front of my wife and two kids.
That did'nt go over to well with the wife.[>:]

Hey, I'm curious about the prop size comment. Tell me more about that.
I bought two extra 12x4 props that the 60 came with, I wonder if the 11x5 props that the alpha 40 comes with would be better?
I have a bunch of these in my flight box it would be nice if I could use the same prop on both the Alpha 40 and 60.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:26 PM
5_spot

northriver21,the 12x4 was way too big,they dropped it down to 10x6 and it flew like a dream they said.There was this guy that had like a calculator to determine prop size to engine matchup,i'll find out exactly what it's called but i think he said the 10x6 would give it more hp.Like i said in the wind it was way too much but most people don't fly like that,i'm considering cutting mine down but i don't know how much,i'm not sure,if you try the 11x5 let me know,i might try 11 for now.I think the 60 is too big for the prop they send but i was just listening to what the others were saying.Have you flown yours yet ?.
O yeah,they commented on the engine on how good it seemed to be.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Glad it went well- Did you ever get it to run well wide open?

The 40 and 60 take totally different props. a 40 is right about 10x6 where the 60 takes a 12x6 or so... Just remember if you go up one in diameter then go down one in pitch (roughly) in other words, 9x7 to 10x6 to 11x5 etc.

Make sure you find someone with a trainer cord who can teach you properly-

Have fun and keep the questions comin'
Old 03-27-2004, 03:53 PM
canmann

Congrat 5spot
I can't wait to get mine in the air next week
I have an Alpha 60 that came with a 3 blade
They gave me a 2 blade 12X6 prop for a spare
I plan on trying both.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:54 PM
northriver21

I hav'nt got mine yet it should be here anyday now.

If I remember right the evolution 40 prop is a three blade 11.5.x5, so I cant see why the 40 size 11.5x5 could'nt be used in place of the 12x4 three blade.

I have a hard time beliving that horizon's mathchup with the .61 engine and 12x4 three blade prop would be the wrong setup.
They should now the right combination. I will let you know when I get mine in the air, but unless someone here tells me different I will use the 11.5x5 props when I'm out of the others.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:08 PM
canmann

The Alpha 60 came with a 3 blade 10X6
I was told to get more zip I should go to the 2 blade 12X6
Taking the flywheel off the Evo 60 will also produce more power
If you get in the air before I do let me know how it works
Since you live farther south then me - my moneys on you getting airborne first.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:12 PM
northriver21

No I'm way up north in Alaska, but I have been flying for the past several weeks.
The weather is getting nicer by the day and the sun is starting to put off some heat.

We have been flying off of skis mostly, but its just about time to take them off.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:21 PM
canmann

Sorry I thought the AK stood for Arkansas.
Hope I'm better at flying then geography.
Too much wind and rain here.
At least there won't be any more snow.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:19 PM
5_spot

ORIGINAL: canmann

The Alpha 60 came with a 3 blade 10X6
I was told to get more zip I should go to the 2 blade 12X6
Mine came with a 12X4 but after flying it they changed it to a 10X6 and it performed well.I also got a wooden 10X6 two bladed prop but not planning on using it.
The 12X4 is way too much here right now but it could be because it was hurricane type weather.

Maybe in summer where the weather is hot and thin the 12X4 will be ok.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:25 PM
CGCOMM3RET

5_spot

CONGRATS!!!!! I can't wait till I can get an engine in mine and get it into the air. I was still waiting to see pictures of it being towed behind your truck though, lol.

Larry
Old 03-27-2004, 09:40 PM
5_spot

I don't have any pics of it being towed yet but i can show you what it looked like when i got it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67342.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	116027