Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

what is the best futaba radio

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
7caf
23.08%
6xas
30.77%
6exa
46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

what is the best futaba radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:20 PM
E-snake
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best futaba radio

what is the best futaba radio? The 7caf is new and was wondering.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Mudsurfer1234

Default RE: what is the best futaba radio

i just got the 6EXA and am VERY pleased with it, it is a GREAT radio at an even BETTER PRICE! it has alot of preset programs taht you can ediit to however you like them, nice flaperon settings, and very nice to hold, easy to navigate menus, nice voltage meter thing, (digtal on screen), and the digital trims are WONDERFUL! 240 positions each way, and always at the same spot. it has digital throttle cut, jsut pull the trainer switch twice, and it shuts carb for 3 seconds.

very good buy, i think i will make a review for it in the mag

over n out,
scott
Old 03-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

For the $$ 9C
Old 03-28-2004, 12:34 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Why limit yourself to Futaba? Pick a price point, and get the best possible radio that falls within it.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:42 AM
forestroke

That is a silly questions... the best is the most expensive... you pay for the performance... otherwise no one would buy a more expensive futaba.

Anyway, I have had futabas, JRs and Hitech and I would say that the Futuba 9C and the JR x-378 are really great radio with lots of flexibility and features. However, I fly mostly with my Hitech Eclipse now... don't know why... I guess I just like the way it feels (plus it seems lighter)
Old 03-28-2004, 03:36 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

The best Futaba is the 9ZWCII. OF THE ONES YOU LISTED, the best is the 7C.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Al Stein

That is a silly questions... the best is the most expensive... you pay for the performance... otherwise no one would buy a more expensive futaba...
ROFLOL!! I have a bridge I want to sell and it is perfect for you -- I promise the price is VERY HIGH, so you know it's GOT TO BE good!!

I'm a "requirements engineer" as one of my professional functions and I gotta tell ya, the answer to which is the best is always the same -- it's the one that provides the functions you need at the most reasonable cost.

I guarantee that whichever you buy, it won't be two seasons old before there's a new one on the market with features that your current one doesn't have. So there's no way to get the best by getting the most bells and whistles possible... the next thing on the market will automatically make that kind of "best" no longer be the best.

The only thing WE know about what would be the best radio with respect to YOU is that the question was posted in the beginner's forum. For a beginner, the cost of PCM will buy you nothing. The cost of computer mixing will buy you nothing. The cost of channel 6 and up (and possibly even channel 4 and 5 as well) will buy you nothing. The slickest advertisements will also buy you nothing and the most championship planes using the equipment will buy you nothing.

As a beginner, your mission right now should be to attain excellence in your knowledge and execution of taking off, landing, basic maneuvers, and minimal aerobatics. Anything that doesn't add to that is wasted. Anything that takes away from it (like control mixing functions) is worse than just wasted -- it will obscure the real nature of the airplane and make it harder for you to achieve what you're really there for right now.

The best Futaba radio for me -- usually -- is my 6VA... but for some things it's one of my Focus SSs... which are almost as far from the most expensive radios you can find. Point is, those cheap little buggers are perfect for a certain mission (flying RES sailplanes) and they're what I use for that. YOU should use a radio that excells at YOUR mission.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Todd M
My Feedback: (1)

The best one is the one that you can afford. I have the 6xea. I guess that meens I'm poor.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:34 PM
volkan

FF6
Old 03-28-2004, 05:26 PM
CougarRules

9 Z-WC-2 Is the ultimate Futaba radio at the minute.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:13 PM
wings

The most expensive is not always the best. But when something is on the market for thousands and thousands of people to buy, use and talk about it, it is common sense that it wouldn't hold the highest price very long if it wasn't the best. On the average, consumers are smart. If you are selling to one individual you may be able to fool him by telling him the best is most expensive.

My grandpa had a yard sale last fall. He had this old couch out for 5 bucks. He went through a day and a half noone even asked him about it. He raised the price to 20 bucks, it sold right off.

But that is one item, on buyer. Futaba sells to tons of people. So they would have a hard time getting the best price if it wasn't the best radio. I agree with Mike.

I have the 6EXA. I just started flying last fall. I think this radio will suit me for a long time. I don't need all that other fancy dancy stuff. I like the digital trims, they are nice.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:08 PM
forestroke

ROFLOL!! I have a bridge I want to sell and it is perfect for you -- I promise the price is VERY HIGH, so you know it's GOT TO BE good!!
Now now, Al, I understand. Like you, I really thing that the price is a major factor in determining the quality and value of the product. I can see how the Brooklyn Bridge is a great value and anyone with any business sense would think to purchase such a steal. Hell if I had the money, I'd buy it at any price. But truth be told, I don't have the money so sadly, Al, I'm sorry that I CAN'T TAKE THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE OFF YOUR HANDS :-)
Old 03-28-2004, 10:14 PM
forestroke

Now now Todd, if 6XEA is what you have, that's what you have... I had something like that when I started, too. And dang it if you think I'm poor. We are just reasonable. And like so many things, we should grow with our hobbies. I know lots of friends with the best equipment for helis, cars, sports and what happens? They lose interest and all that equipment they paid through the nose for? Junk.

Be reasonable... Also, isn't it nice to be able to grow into a more fancy reciever? When I am good enough for TOC (which will be never) I will delight in getting the 9ZWCII... until then, I'm happy with whatever I've now