Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Glow Plugs

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Glow Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Cjsworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plugs

Ok heres the ? Glow plugs come with or without idle bars. Are idle bar glows really better?[&:]
Old 03-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Mudsurfer1234

Default RE: Glow Plugs

what's an idle bar? just wonderin, learn somethin new everyday
Old 03-27-2004, 10:40 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You generally don't need an idle bar plug for most engine set ups. I've heard of some people preferring them when mounting the engine inverted; I'm guessing the idle bar might help keep fuel from downing the plug. (?)

I have used them in a pinch, when it was all I had in the flight box. Didn't really care for them.

But to answer your question.... No, idle bar plugs are not better, just different.
Dennis-
Old 03-27-2004, 10:51 PM
davidinmi

I have one engine that prefers an idle bar plug for winter flying when the temperature is below freezing. With a standard plug I have problems with this engine cutting out at idle when it is cold out.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:52 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

For what i can tell you, Im one of the mechanics at Hobby town and I usually use glowplugs with idle bars if I think the sleeve is on its last legs. It does slightly raise the compression a bit, and for a tired motor it usually helps it out with the little extra compression. I wouldn't use it on a daily basis.

-Davidinmi- Basicly what i was saying above. Rasing the compression in the motor will make the motor run a little bit hotter, and in cold weather, sometimes you need the little extra heat.

Im just speaking from my experience with nitro motors, not no glowplug expert
Old 03-28-2004, 01:43 AM
Cjsworks

Thanks Thats what I needed. I bought the fox long with the idlebar because its cold here but it seemed harder to start than I thought it should be. Ill try a regular plug next . Didnt know about the idlebar plugs raising compression, Ill have to remember that. Im also going from the 15% nitro down to 10% now that the weathers warming up.

As always thank for the tips![8D]
Old 03-28-2004, 07:49 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Cold weather usually requires a richer setting on the carb. One of my 54 four strokes required nearly a full turn on the needle to get it started.
Dennis-
Old 03-28-2004, 08:45 AM
canmann

Still getting started
What's an idle bar??
Old 03-28-2004, 09:29 AM
phread59

Canman an idle bar is a strip of metal that goes over the hole where the glow element is. It is used usually in older non-schneurle ported engines to keep fuel from drowning out the element. You as far as I know cannot buy a non-schneurle ported engine today. As stated before they do help in an inverted engine. I have also used them with sucess in a piped or tuned muffler engine. They may help out in breaking in an engine when they are running very rich. I will have to try it some day. I hope this answers your question.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-28-2004, 09:40 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

watch out with idle bars though. The metal bar has been known sometimes to fall of in the engine!! that'll destroy your sleeve and piston in no time. As for raising the compression?? I dont know about that. The bar takes up such a negligible amount of volume, that you would not notice the difference.

sean
Old 03-28-2004, 09:58 AM
canmann

Thanks for the info
Doesn't sound like something my Evo 60 needs yet
But it's good to know
Old 03-28-2004, 10:10 AM
smokingcrater

I dont know about that. The bar takes up such a negligible amount of volume, that you would not notice the difference.
it isn't negligible when the piston is at TDC. remember that adding a shim has a measurable effect at lowering compression, and the volume change by that is less then an idle bar.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Al Stein

Thanks Thats what I needed. I bought the fox long with the idlebar because its cold here but it seemed harder to start than I thought it should be. Ill try a regular plug next...
Please to let us know what happens when try your regular plug, yes?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Cjsworks

Put new fox plug in today without idle bar, and used 10% nitro fuel. Engine starts much easier but wont idle quite as low. Smoother transition from idle to full power also. I think in weather around the 30s its a good thing but not in the summer. As for the compression increase from the bar, it does make sense thats alot of difference in such a small space. I included a pic so you can see what they look like.
Attached Images