Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Prop-1, Finger-0

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Prop-1, Finger-0

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:06 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prop-1, Finger-0

I hear its inevitable, that you're gonna do it if you stay in the hobby long enough. Personally, I sould have been content with an electric prop, but I try and do everything well, soooo....

WARNING! Pic is a little gross... but if seeint this makes you a bit more cautious, then it's somewhat worth it.

On the plus side, although deep, there was no tendon/nerve damage, so I should be able to fly helos when it heals, which is funny as I couldn't fly ehlos before.....

AND the new SS 40 flew GREAT!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64502.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	116144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56048.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	116145  
Old 03-28-2004, 08:17 AM
FlyingMonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop-1, Finger-0

Wow A6 that don't look good at all. I hate it for ya, and sorry it happened. I glad to see it still attached! Do you mind sharing the details on how this happened? I know the prop bit ya, but what was the over site or as some would say the mistake.

Keith
Old 03-28-2004, 08:26 AM
a65l

I was BEHIND plane, engine was at idle, and I had a major brain fart when i saw one of the cowl cheeks vibrating. Plane had just deadsticked into the grass, very nice if I do say so myself, but I was worried something was broke. So instead of taking the 30 or so seconds to shut the engine down and check, I just reached up and grabbed that sucker, and heard a sound you don't want to hear.

Actually would try and go fly today except I can't spin engine with stick, and can't hold electric starter... too windy for slo stick...

Andy
Old 03-28-2004, 08:30 AM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

All i can say is OUCH that hurt. [X(]
Old 03-28-2004, 08:50 AM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Unfortunately, it is inevitable. I had my accident when I first started. The prop on a OS 46FX got me. Bleeding for a long time. Thumb swollen and pounding. Not a good feeling. A piece of tissue the size of a nickel was knocked off my thumb where your fingerprint is and cut badly at the base of my thumb. I healed within a couple of weeks, but I have scar tissue left on the base of my thumb due to it being a softer epidermal tissue. The nickel size scar on my finger print is tougher skin, so it didn't leave a scar tissue. Finger print grew back exactly as if nothing happened. About 2 weeks after the accident, I found the dried up tissue that the prop knocked off my finger. You could see the finger print design on the dried tissue. The body is amazing on the way that it will heal itself.

Please be careful with these engines,
DTB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54388.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	116146  
Old 03-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Al Stein

I feel for ya Andy... I hope that heals well and soon.
Unfortunately, it is inevitable.
Y'know, I'm not convinced that it's inevitable -- heck, if it's inevitable we should always be expecting it, but it never seems to happen when we're expecting it. Anyway, would there be any reason to talk about how accidents happen if they were inevitable -- after all, how could you ever avoid them if they were inevitable?

So, I said that to get around to this... I didn't get a good picture of what happenned here... (in case I can use the info to keep any of the local fingers safer...
I was BEHIND plane, engine was at idle, and I had a major brain fart when i saw one of the cowl cheeks vibrating. Plane had just deadsticked into the grass, very nice if I do say so myself, but I was worried something was broke. So instead of taking the 30 or so seconds to shut the engine down and check, I just reached up and grabbed that sucker, and heard a sound you don't want to hear.
I assume that the deadstick landing was only mentioned because it was the reason that you were checking the plane and the cowling, not part of the accident, right? So since you were behind the plane, did you go to grab the cowl and your hand slipped forward into the spinny thing?
Old 03-28-2004, 10:31 AM
a65l

Actually, I wanted to grab the cowl piece and try and pull it away from the airplane. The prop on that plane is only 1/4" or so in front of the cowling cheeks, so it didn't take much to get into the prop itself.

Andy
Old 03-28-2004, 08:27 PM
xplayer930

i wear a leather glove. I always hear these terrible stories. I once wacked by finger wiht the heavy leather glove on all that happend was that i got a black and blue.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Use a chicken stick and it will never happen!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:51 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: Geistware

Use a chicken stick and it will never happen!
I use an electric starter and it still happened to me. I hate chicken sticks.

The chances of a hand contacting the prop is greater than what you might expect. For one, when the engine is running even at idle the prop is almost invisible and you have to remember that it is there. Just reaching to remove the glow starter is risky. Unfortunately, I do think everyone will have a mishap at one time or another even if they are cautious, but hopefully I will be wrong on this one. There is always that one slip up and that is all that is needed.

Please be careful everyone. I can't stress that enough. Take it from my experience and a lot of others that have experienced this, when your hand, digit, leg, etc... touches a moving prop, it is by no means a please experience. Since my incident, I try to be even more cautious. I use nothing but electric starters, but I may use a chicken stick once in a while, but don't care for them a whole lot. I have seen people get nasty bruises from a kick back using a chicken stick. I'd rather the kick back hit the electric starter head instead of my finger/hand.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:47 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Feel for you,
I hope you get better soon...
Old 03-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Cjsworks

[] Ouch!! Just finished second plane tonight. Saw this and remembered to go back and put white paint on prop tips on both planes. That injury was at an idle, it really shows how carefull you need to be. Just think what a full power slip could do. [X(]

Hope it heals fast so you can play with the toys again soon.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:32 AM
Felix21685

so how thick of a leather glove should you wear to minimize damage ?
im gonna go to walmart before i take my next plane up again..
Felix
Old 03-29-2004, 06:14 AM
a65l

I wasn't starting plane..... I always use a chicken stick or starter. I had it running already and was standing behind the wing holding the tail between my legs to run it up..... I just had a major brain fart because I was concerned that I had done some damage to my brand new only one flight airplane..... gotta keep the priorities straight!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:35 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Get a welding glove, they seem to have a lot of padding. This will reduce cuts but the blunt force trama can still break bones.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:26 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only good reason for a leather glove is if you're hand starting the engine, which isn't a good idea anyway. Try setting a needle valve with a heavy glove on your hand. Just the thickness of the glove will most likely cause prop contact where a bare hand would not have. (Not true for remote needle valves.)

A glove will also give you a sense of safety and confidence, so the first time you DO go to remove the glow igniter without the glove (on a hot summer's day) you'll get bit anyway. [:'(]

Better to establish a set of procedures that you follow the same way, every time, when working around the engine; then try to concentrate whenever the engine's running. I have found that using large, exaggerated movements helps me stay alert while working around that meat grinder.
Dennis-
Old 03-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Spadinator

OUCH!!!! I had 26 stitches in my hand when my engine fired after removing the hot shot. I moved the prop with my hand to get to the mixture screw and the sucker fired and got my six times before I could get my hand out of the way!!!! My local LHS said that glow plugs will sometimes remain hot enough to run for a couple of seconds after the hot shot is removed!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Matt Gosline

YIKES! Maybe a moderator should make this thread 'sticky' on the top of the thread list.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:54 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are those that have and those that will. I stuck mine in a running engine grabbing for something and lost the tip about 20 years ago. It teaches you respect! Glad it wasn't worse than it is. Hope you heal fast.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

There are those that have and those that will. I stuck mine in a running engine grabbing for something and lost the tip about 20 years ago. It teaches you respect! Glad it wasn't worse than it is. Hope you heal fast.
I agree 100%, It definately teaches you to respect them.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:54 PM
gitterdun

I'm really sorry about your hand ,all of you guys that got hurt I know that Im scared to death of that prop ever since I read the thread "raining airplanes" 5th post ever since then I really over do all of my movement around the prop Swing wide Maybe being scared of that puppy isnt so bad and seeing these pics adds to my respect These are not toys boys !But damn there fun !!!!!!!!!! Going to Toledo this weekend with some $$$$ Yahoooooooooo
Old 03-30-2004, 12:29 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Most prop-finger incidents occur after the engine is running... not while starting the engine.

With an engine under .60 size... if you get struck by the prop while hand starting you would normally just get a bruise or a small cut.

If you use the correct hand start technique it is very hard to get hit by the prop at all... But you still have to remove that glow ignitor. THAT is when most people get whacked. The number 2 time they get whacked is when trying to adjust the engine.

The incident that started this Thread... HE USED AN ELECTRIC STARTER and it did not prevent the injury. Think about that.

The electric starter, or the chicken stick or hand starting... none are applicable to this accident. Paying atention to WHERE your hand is in relation to the propeller when the engine is running is the only way to prevent this type incident.

If you had a 10 inch table saw with a small piece of wood betweent he blade and the "fence" and the pice needed to be moved...would you stick your finger in and move it with the saw running? (I hope not) That is the situation here... he had an obstruction beside the propeller and tried to move it without turning off the engine.

Give the propeller the same (or more) respect youwould give a circular saw blade. The circular saws tend to turn just 3500 rpm (or 1500 rpm...) Our 10 inch props turn an average of 13,000 rpm at full throttle.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:42 AM
xplayer930

Iv been doin this for ten years, and im still scared to Sh#t. I weara leather work glove. i have wacked my finger it was all black and blue, ever since i saw this one guy chop off the tip of his finger ten years ago, i have been like freaked out when starting my planes. Be safe every body.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:15 PM
MikeMc

ORIGINAL: FHHuber

Most prop-finger incidents occur after the engine is running... not while starting the engine.

With an engine under .60 size... if you get struck by the prop while hand starting you would normally just get a bruise or a small cut.

If you use the correct hand start technique it is very hard to get hit by the prop at all... But you still have to remove that glow ignitor. THAT is when most people get whacked. The number 2 time they get whacked is when trying to adjust the engine.

The incident that started this Thread... HE USED AN ELECTRIC STARTER and it did not prevent the injury. Think about that.

The electric starter, or the chicken stick or hand starting... none are applicable to this accident. Paying atention to WHERE your hand is in relation to the propeller when the engine is running is the only way to prevent this type incident.

If you had a 10 inch table saw with a small piece of wood betweent he blade and the "fence" and the pice needed to be moved...would you stick your finger in and move it with the saw running? (I hope not) That is the situation here... he had an obstruction beside the propeller and tried to move it without turning off the engine.

Give the propeller the same (or more) respect youwould give a circular saw blade. The circular saws tend to turn just 3500 rpm (or 1500 rpm...) Our 10 inch props turn an average of 13,000 rpm at full throttle.
I actually agree with FHHuber on this. This is pretty good. FHHuber gets a ++ not that he cares what I think. It's insanity I tell you.

FHHuber++