Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Evolution Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Evolution Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:48 AM
FlyingMonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution Engine

I decided to get an Evolution 46 because of some good reading on these forums. Ive read more good than bad. So I went to the LHS and bought one. I took it out to my vehicle and inspected it before I left the parking lot. Everything seemed to be in the box and the engine looked OK. I took it to the field and attempted to prime it up. To my surprise no fuel was coming to the carb. I removed the line at the needle and blew through the pressure line... yup there goes the fuel. Hmmm, wonder what that means. I connected everything back up. I marked the high speed setting it was on of course because its !QUOT!run in at the factory!QUOT!. I then turned high speed rich 5 clicks blew in the pressure line and I saw a drop of fuel come from the needle assembly. I turned the high speed back to factory and guess what.... yup its closed at that setting. With the stop on the adjustment it was impossible to open it enough to allow sufficient fuel. Of course I junked the limiter and when into run in mode two turns out. Because of this I wasn't confident that this engine stopped at the run in section on the assembly line. I started the engine which by the way started right up and ran like a champ. Everything adjusted out fine. It does run as if it had been broken in at some point. Took it up and it ran very well couldn't ask for a better running engine. I don't stop here. My fuel pump went out so on flight 2 I had to fuel it with our best friend Gravity. I had to Siffre at the pressure line to get it started, but when I grabbed the pressure line and began to remove it from the pressure nozzle the nozzle broke. Now I'm talking about pulling of a fuel tube from a nozzle... not allot of torque here. That was that. One flight and homeward bound. I drilled it out and replaced the pressure fitting. Not a biggie. OK, now here is my theory. I like the engine, and still would suggest it to anyone.. it ran great. However, if you do buy one ask for a sealed box. I bought mine from the display where it was out of the box. The employee put it in the box before he handed it over. I think with this said we all know what has happened.. its been handled more than once, and I'm sure the needle has been turned. This engine mishap I blame myself for and not Evolution. This was a long boring story I know, but I share my mistakes In hopes to save others from my pain.

Happy Flying,
Keith
Old 03-28-2004, 10:24 AM
5_spot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evolution Engine

That is a good piece of advice,sometimes they will sell the display "cheaper" than a sealed box and will guarantee it but the question is,are you ready for headaches ?.
Thanks for sharing and glad it worked out.