Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sticks setup

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sticks setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:52 AM
kukarzev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticks setup

How do you guys setup the sticks? I'm learning on the simulator so far. I've tried RealFlight G2 for the first time today. It would be nice to use some of my previous computer games skills, so the elevator definitely goes to the right stick (up/down). In computer games I usually do up/down and left/right with the right hand and al other movements with the left, but here I am confused. I think I feel more comfortable with the ailerons on the right stich and throttle+rudder on the left one. But you tell me if it's a bad habit. So, guys, how do you setup the sticks? Any advice will be appreciated.

Once again, for now I use elevator+ailerons - right stick, throttle+rudder - left stick.

Thanks!

P.S. Also, that's going to sound dumb, but... Why do you need a rudder? I find doing turns with ailerons much easier, at least on a sim on PT-40...
Old 03-29-2004, 04:16 AM
skypilit
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Sticks setup

I am a new pilot also (well sort of, I have flown about 20 flights) and your sticks are the way they should be. I always use rudder, throtttle on the left stick and ail, elev on the right. When I fly, I basically use the rudder for ground control and the ail and elev for flight, but I am also beginning to use the rudder and ail for turns in flight (elev also) which seems to give it a little more control without as much roll on turns. If you get into pattern or 3d flight, you will use the rudder a lot. It also helps on landing with crosswinds to keep the plane more stable at low speeds while still being able to turn and with a lot less wingtip stall.

Dave
Old 03-29-2004, 05:36 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way you have your sticks setup is called Mode 2. This is an extremely common way to fly and you should have no problems in finding people to help you once you are up and running.

The use of rudder in a turn keeps the aircraft 'balanced'. It basically stops the aircraft flying sideways. In a lot of models you can fly OK without using the rudder. (sailplanes are an example where the use of rudder is almost mandatory). In nearly all models the use of rudder will improve the flying characteristics.

In a full size aircraft the neglect of rudder causes the flight to be very uncomfortable and most of the passengers would probably puke very quickly!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:37 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the way you have them set up is called "Mode 2" an it is the most common way that we, here in the US fly.

Even you guys in Calif.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:18 AM
kukarzev

Cool. I am glad that I am that standard. Now, what exactly can I do with this controls as a beginner? I use ailerons + elevator for turns. How can I improve on basic techniques with the rudder?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are correct in using ailerons and elevator for turning. The rudder is not needed as much for models as it is for full scale planes, but it IS a valuable control.

Aside for needing a rudder to do some aerobatics like Hammerheads, Knife-Edge, etc. oneof its most valuable uses is for cross-wind landings.

Imagine coming in from your left with a cross wind blowing in your face (From the aircraft's Left). The ideal control input would be to give some Left Aileron, and Right Rudder. This will cause the airplane to "Side Slip" (AKA Crab) into the wind.

If it were a calm day, the plane would look as though it were flying slightly sideways, which is exactly what you want to do in a cross wind.

A good way to practice this is to practice Side-Slipping a landing on a calm day. Set up for landing much higher than you need to be (Extra high at first to give room for mistakes). As you're making your turn to final, but when the plane is at about a 45degree angle from the runway, add opposit rudder. It's a bit of a balancing act between Aileron, rudder and elevator, but when done correctly, the plane will maintain that 45 degree angle, but will stay lined up with the runway.

One other thing to note: this will also cause excessive drag, so the plane will lose altitude much faster than usual (Another reason for starting higher than usual). Side slipping is a method used by pilots to bleed off excess speed or altitude.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:51 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to be perfect then every time you put in left aileron, add a little left rudder. When you put the aileron back in the middle, centralise the rudder. This is not absolutely necessary but will get you used to using your left hand if nothing else.

This only goes for normal balanced flight. As Minnflyer says, there are times when you will need to 'cross control'. i.e. apply left rudder and right aileron but I would say these are intermediate level exercises.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:53 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The rudder is essential for control of the model n the ground. Taxiing and keeping it on the runway durring take-off.

The rudder is lso essential for knife-edge flight and many aerobatic maneuvers. (knife edge is just flying straight with the airpane in a 90 deg bank)

Generally RC modelers are lazy about using the rudder. this is one reason that when we do a turn and pull the elevator, we tend to also climb. If you use the correct amount of aileron rudder and elevator you will get a circle that does not gain or lose altitude. That is a "coordinated turn."