Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Used radio, What I should examine?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Used radio, What I should examine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:35 AM
YJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used radio, What I should examine?

Hi to all

I decided to buy used radio, what i should examine before purchaseing ?

Thanks YJ.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:21 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Used radio, What I should examine?

Simply ask the seller to hook up the system and make sure all servos rotate full throw without any glitch. You are running the risk of having to buy new RX and Tx batteries. Unless you already have a charger / recycler, it will be hard to determine if one of the packs has a weak cell. I started this way years ago with a used Kraft system that ended up costing about the same as a new one. Be careful and make sure you're saving that much more than new.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:29 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

I would make sure it's dual conversion. It could be a single conversion system. I'm been looking into another reciever and what I've found is that single supposedly doesn't have the range of dual. More appropriate for a park flyer.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:24 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most full size receivers are dual conversion, but it should say so on it some where. Depending on the transmitter's age there should be a silver sticker on the back to denote that it complies with the 1991 narrow banding change. (If it's fairly new it won't have one.)

But as was mentioned, have the owner plug the servos into the receiver, then turn on the Tx and plug in the battery pack. Move all the controls and listen to the servos; they should be fairly quiet. It wouldn't hurt to put a little pressure on the servo arms to make sure they still operate. You should be able to "feel" a stripped gear.)

You might want to post the type of equipment (model, make and general condition) as well as the asking price, so we can give more opinions.

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 03-30-2004, 12:27 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What market are you looking in? You can often buy new for really close to what used would cost you. As stated, make sure the batteries are good, servos are good and not stripped, it has hardware and extra arms with it, how old it is. Also make sure it has never been crashed. Remember, if the trans battery is dead, it can cost you over $40 for a new one. Rx packs are about half that. If you can't save at least 50 to 60% on a radio, I would go new. The risks are kind of high unless you can test it out and make sure it works well. I have bought and sold a lot of them and there are some real dogs out there. For my planes, I only buy new. I help a lot of friends that buy used though and you can find some real deals if you look hard enough.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

I can't fault anyone for trying to save a buck but............

I went that route when I first got into the sport two years ago and it wasn't worth the aggravation. After a lot of farting around and nearly losing a plane, I sold the radios on Ebay and bought new. The cost of new out ways the cost and time spent rebuilding planes. If you go through with buying used, take heed to the advise given above.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:37 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

With the system hooked up on the bench. Put the butt of a Dremel tool against the receiver and be sure that all the servos work without glitching. If there are any problems with vibration to the circuit board they will show up with this test. Put the Dremel tool on the battery and the switch also. if it fails any of these tests, walk away.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:42 PM
YJ

The transmiter is 6XA of futaba, as i have been toled it been used only 3 times and it Quite new , the receiver supports
PCM and never been crashed (?), the price is 2/3 of a new one.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:52 PM
taurus02914

Makes you wonder why he is selling it after only 3 uses, along with the above tests, I would range check it .
That is an awsome system though.
Good luck!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:38 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

Range check and the dremel or RC car motor method is good.

I bought the same Radio on Ebay, TX and charger only, used, and mine works great. Paid about $80 shipped. Mine is fine.

Also - I dunno what pricing you're looking at, but Tower is closing out the 6XAS in FM PPM flight trim for $199. the new 7 CAP is going to replace the 6Xas's pricepoint I think.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:17 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on what you are paying for it. You can get it for $199 like stated shipped, get a $15 to $20 coupon and save that much more so you are in it for like $180. If you get it for just over $100 and don't have to put anything in it, its a good price if nothing is wrong. If you end up buying a battery because he screwed it up, your back up to almost what you pay for new. If you can get it for less than $125 shipped, it may be a good deal. Any more than that and you might as well go new. Make sure you get as many servo screws, arms and an aileron extension with it or you will end up spending money on those.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:13 AM
YJ

Almost all of you had bad experience with used equipment, so i think it will be wise of me to wait a little more and to bay a new radio.
any way thank you all for the guidance and advice.