Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do I find the airplane kit manufacturer's name?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do I find the airplane kit manufacturer's name?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:56 AM
eyerina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I find the airplane kit manufacturer's name?

I was at a swap meet recently and got a GREAT DEAL on a used-but-immaculate P-51 Mustang. It is already assembled and covered, and appears to have been previously flown, but has no damage. It was stripped of all electronics, the engine and engine mount and fuel tank, but is otherwise in perfect condition.

I need to outfit it with electronics, engine, and fuel tank, and set-up throws on the control surfaces, and such. Problem is, I am relatively new at this and would like to go to the manufacturers instructions for guidance. For example, what size and location is the fuel tank? Also, I have no idea what was previously used for an engine; what size or configuration (2- vs. 4-cycle, or rotary). The firewall already has holes and blind-nuts in it, but in a wierd pattern. Instead of being arranged in a rectangular pattern on the firewall, the engine mount blind-nuts are arranged more like a trapezoid - Shortest side horizontally at the top; 1" at the top, 2" at the bottom and 1-3/4" on each side, like this:

* 1" *

1-3/4" 1-3/4"

* 2" *

I have never seen (in my limited experience) an engine mount like this. Because the existing blind-nuts are cemented in I would like to try to use them if possible to mount the engine.

Here are the specs on the plane.

Wing span: 56-3/4 inches
Length - tip of rudder to tip of cowl: 47-1/4 inches

The ailerons span nearly the length of the wings and are 22-3/4" long and 1" wide.

Landing gear is non-retractable
It has a three-quarter fiberglass cowl. The top quarter of the nose is reinforced balsa

It uses one servo to drive the ailerons, mounted in the center of the wing. 3 additional servos are mounted under the cockpit.

Any help or suggestions on how to identify the manufacturer, or even what type of engine might have been used would be appreciated.

Eric
Old 03-31-2004, 11:02 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: How do I find the airplane kit manufacturer's name?

I'm not sure which kit you have.. but the hole pattern for the motor mount is a Kraft-Hayes style (or one of the other round backed style mounts) These mounts are pretty good. I use them most times when I don't use the mount supplied with the kit.

I found pictures of Dave Brown mounts which look like the ones I am referring to. (may b one that fits your bolt pattern here)
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Airpl...e&Item=DBMount
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 AM
rwlewis
My Feedback: (4)

The engine mount may have been a Dave Bown molded plastic mount. They have an odd bolt pattern.

Breifly looking at the dimensions, it appears close to the GP 40 sized mustang kit.

Richard
Old 03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

The Great Planes 40 size Mustang has a wingspan of 57", so it probably is one of these. The engine has been mounted inverted with probably The Dave Brown mount as mentioned.
Good luck with your quest!!
Old 03-31-2004, 02:01 PM
eyerina

Yeah, I thought that it might be the Great Planes P-51 Mustang kit. It's the only plane that I have found specs for that has a 57" WS. But, my plane length from end of rudder to tip of cowl is only 47-1/4" whereas the GP kit says it is 50". Not sure how to measure the length because some say fuselage length, others say just length, and I don't know if it should include the length of the propshaft and spinner. But I have looked extensively at the GP building directions on-line and it looks like this is the plane, except for the length issue.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The GP has a pretty distinctive Air Scoop under the wing. Check the on line manual and see if it's the same.