Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Yes I'm new, yes I'm lazy and yes I'm looking to buy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Yes I'm new, yes I'm lazy and yes I'm looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:45 PM
jarablue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes I'm new, yes I'm lazy and yes I'm looking to buy

Hey all. This is my first post here. Looks like a very good site. Hope I can learn alot. I used to be into RC cars when I was 11-14 I am now 29 and looking to get into flying planes. I would like something for a newbie to get the hang of flying. I guess something cheap so if I crash it wont hurt me in the pockets. I have pretty much 5-700$ to start off with. Can you guys reccomend me anything good for a total newbie? I am thinking sub 100$ I am willing to definately make an investment if I like the sport. Thanks for the help guys/gals!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:49 PM
ajvpb
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Yes I'm new, yes I'm lazy and yes I'm looking to buy

On here or ebay, there are good deals but nothing great. However, I've seen some trainers at my local club go for an absolute steal. Find out if your local club has a website, and see if they have a classifieds section or a swap meet coming up. They are cheap because most anyone at the site already knows how to fly and doesnt need a trainer. You could probably get a good trainer, radio and engine for under 150. However then you need fuel, pump, glow starter, etc.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:55 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

go to towerhobbies.com .. buy you the radio of your choice (flight pack included) look at the avistar trainer w/ a .46 thunder tiger pro.. everything radio,plane,engine and misc acesso. will cost you around 400 tops... go to your local flying field and find an instructor.. youll be hooked

Chris
Old 03-31-2004, 06:41 PM
Mike in DC

Before you spend $1, figure out where you are going to fly, and how you are going to learn. There are great threads on both of these subjects, but the typical place to fly is an AMA club field. So you need to figure in $58 AMA dues, plus $25 to $100 club dues (plus, perhaps, an initiation fee). The traditional way to learn is to find a volunteer instructor, so you need to find out when they teach, and how often you can get a lesson. I see way too many people get all excited, and spend a lot on an engine, plane and radio, only to find out there is no convenient place to fly, or nobody to teach them.

Oh, and by the way, if you're handy with tools, and can build stuff, check out www.spadtothebone.com.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:04 PM
Swager
My Feedback: (1)

A nice RC flight simulator also helps get a knack of things before you try a real RC plane.

good Luck
Old 03-31-2004, 09:29 PM
Banned

Just join AMA now, then go to a decent size club. Ask about who's got a trainer for sale. You might do very well. Also ask about local shows. If you can go to the show with someone from the club to pick out a nice trainer setup you might also do very well. A smart and patient shopper can get a very nice trainer with everything including a radio, all the field gear, and AMA and club memberships for your budget easilly. It's nice to see someone not posting "What can I get for $150?", and then their next message after buying and flying with no help is "I crashed my Electric AeroChicken into a car cuz it flew bad!" - Joe
Old 03-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Phi3l

Another advantage of going to a local club first is they can give you advice on what specific equipment to buy.
For example, the club I belong to has a couple of buddy boxes and if you get a radio that is compatible with the club buddy box it makes thing MUCH easier. Also the instructors may have a favorite airplane that they like to use for training.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:50 PM
SENZA

are you looking for electric or gas? my son bought me a aerobird for chrismas i flew it for 3 weeks and have been hooked every sence, its a cheap way to start to see if its for you get the three channel if you decide to go that way, i met ifixairplanes flying at our local feild he was flying his funtana. that same day we ran down to the hobbie shop and bought a hobbico nexstar when i wasent flying with him i was flying on the computer with the soft ware. he was willing to teach me ive been flying every week sence,snow sleet and rain lol well maybe not rain but as often as possible. it reminds me of my first............... MY KNEES START KNOCKIN MY BLOOD STARTS PUMPIN well you get the picture! good luck and have fun..............BILL
Old 03-31-2004, 11:15 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, welcome to RCU. Great bunch of people here, and you'll get a LOT of advice, good, bad AND indifferent.

Next, there's already some good alternatives posted above.

In my opinion, the "best" way to get started is with a .40 size trainer and an AMA club instructor. Total cost of new equipment (including support equipment like the field box, fuel, fuel pump, starter, glow igniter, etc.), and memberships, will run you about $500 to $550. $600 tops if you go with premium stuff. You can usually shave $100 to $150 off that if you're willing to go with some used items.

Second "best"? Spend about $150 a buy an Aerobird Commander (NOT one of the $100 or less 2 channel clones!). You can (try) to fly it on your own, in a park or soccer field. Please be careful of kids, dogs, cars and buildings. []

If you try to learn on your own you WILL crash a few times. An Aerobird can be repaired with a bit of epoxy and maybe some scrap foam.

DO NOT attempt to learn on your own with a glow plane unless you have at least ten to twenty acres of open land with no houses within a couple miles. You'll probably also have to buy two or three gloe planes before you get good enough to keep it in the air. Three people were killed by RC airplanes last year, so be smart about it.

Good luck, think safety, and most of all have fun!

Sorry, one other thing. A good simulator, like Great Planes Real Flight, will shorten your learning curve substantially, but will cost on the order of $200.
Dennis-
Old 04-01-2004, 01:41 AM
forestroke

Unless you like flight simulators, I don't believe that a simulator is a good first step. It's not rewarding and you might lose interest before you begin!

Find an AMA instructor and tell him what you want to do. Most of the time, you may even have him provide the trainer for free as long as you pay the fuel and his fee. That is the best way to learn. Nothing beats the feeling of flying and you will be hooked forever. I know many people that never get out to the field after playing with my simulator because they just think it's too hard!
Old 04-01-2004, 05:27 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I think that you have gotten good advice and would like to add that I have the Realflight sim and love to practice on it, especially on bad days!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:22 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for that kind of money, forget glow, go over to the parkflyer forum........get a good radio, then get a GWS flight pak and a Pico or slow stick....you can teach yourself at a school yard on saturday mornings,,then if you like it....switch over to glow...get an AMA card and join a club...my 2 cents