Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sturdy Birdy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sturdy Birdy

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:51 PM
KINGX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturdy Birdy

Hello, i just got my new Hobbico Sturdy Birdy and i would like to ask the following: I can either build the airplane with or without ailerons. What would you suggest to do ? Fly only with rudder+elevator or should i also add ailerons? I am not new to full-house flying(ailerons) , i just got the Sturdy Birdy for fun and as a third or even fourth aircraft.

Note: If i do not use the ailerons i have to glue them permanently on the trailing edge which means that i will also get 5% more wing area!

Note2: I will use a 40 size engine not a 25 which is also a consideration in my decision to add ailerons or not.

I appreciate your advice and any (if any) experience with this particular airplane.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sturdy Birdy

ORIGINAL: KINGX

Hello, i just got my new Hobbico Sturdy Birdy and i would like to ask the following: I can either build the airplane with or without ailerons. What would you suggest to do ? Fly only with rudder+elevator or should i also add ailerons? I am not new to full-house flying(ailerons) , i just got the Sturdy Birdy for fun and as a third or even fourth aircraft.

Note: If i do not use the ailerons i have to glue them permanently on the trailing edge which means that i will also get 5% more wing area!

Note2: I will use a 40 size engine not a 25 which is also a consideration in my decision to add ailerons or not.

I appreciate your advice and any (if any) experience with this particular airplane.
KingX, I'm not sure I understand your purpose in buying this airplane. It's not a fun-fly plane, and it's not like a low-wing third or fourth plane. If you bought it as a trainer, you'll find it's more challenging to fly than most available trainers. If you bought it for the challenge, you'll find it's not very rewarding. Too difficult to fly to be a good trainer, not aerobatic enough for most maneuvers.

However, it's cheap & fixes pretty easy. I can think of no reason to build it as a 3 channel, unless that's a particular piloting challenge that you desire.

I don't think your wing area is any different, whether you hinge the ailerons or make them rigid.

I flew mine with a .25, but later bought a Senorita to learn on. Mine came as 3 channel only, but after I broke the wing I bought the aileron wing, and flew it some more. After I had mastered my Four-Star 40, I dug the Sturdy Birdy out again, and found it flyable. Even spent some time inverted, with it. Come to think of it, I still have the whole thing, in the garage. I doubt I'll ever fly it again, though.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 04-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Stick Jammer

Most any plane will handle better with ailerons vs. rudder only. The time and extra money spent to install them will be worth it. As far as the wing area, it will be the same either way. Ailerons are always figured in as wing area.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:09 PM
phread59

Ailerons, definately, waste of time if you don't.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Spadinator

I watched a buddies Burdy with an Evo 46 on it do things I never thought possible. Inverted flight, snap rolls, hammer heads, spins, and fitted with a bomb drop, you name it. I thought it was a trainer plane but I was very impressed with it's abilities. the Burdy this guy was flying DID have a no dihedral wing though!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 03:09 AM
A.R.T.F.

You should go with the ailerons. The most limiting thing about my old supper sixty trainer was its lack of ailerons. I think I would have had more fun with it if it had ailerons (after I learnt to fly it). If you are using a larger engine in your plane, you may as well use it for some aerobatics and ailerons will only increase the amount you can perform.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Chig

Yes go with the ailerons. The .40 size engine will give it more capability also, good choice. If it flies as well as it's DuraPlane counterpart it should be fun. Check the balance as you assemble it. I put two servos in the tailboom with 4-40 control rods. Those ny-rods were just too sloppy. You may want to put nylon bolts on the landing gear or modify the design with the old fashioned two dowels and rubber band method of securing them for those rough touch n goes Tapeing one side of the control surface gaps will help also, not only aerodynamically but to help hold on the control surface, these used to have a problem with the hinges some time ago... The bomb drop idea is neat, the gutter pipe fuse makes stuff like that easy. Zip ties and double sided tape will help secure servos etc. Make a couple of stop blocks out of wood or something to help hold the wing steady on the saddle. Just glue them on the fuse so they can pop off in a crash. If the one I am currently flying stays around, it will get a lighter weight Mac's one piece muffler, carbon fibre landing gear and a couple lightening holes, just because Enjoy yours