Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

flying when its windy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

flying when its windy

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 03:03 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flying when its windy

i need some advice. what wind speed would be considered too windy to fly???
Old 04-03-2004, 03:09 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: flying when its windy

Personally, I don't like to fly if it's more than 15 mph. Especially with a crosswind. I don't have fun if I'm worried about tearing up my plane on landing.

I'm sure some guys will fly if it's 30! Whatever floats your boat...
Old 04-03-2004, 03:54 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on loads of factors such as type of model, ability of pilot, wind direction, size of gust etc.

You just have to know yours, and your models limits. Start in light wind. Gradually work up to stronger, but steady winds. If you get concerned then stop. Then try light gusty winds and work up again.

You will soon work out what you can cope with.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:23 AM
volkan

max i fly is around 13mph. if you think its too windy, just dont go. its not worth getting nervous and crashing (like i did)
Old 04-03-2004, 05:40 AM
FlooredCOBRA

I I don't mind flying in wind at all. But one thing that will get you into trouble is gusty winds.

You can be on your landing approach coming in all nice and slow and suddenly the wind stops. Then your stuck with a plane with no lift and it falls to ground.....can be aggravating at times working throttle very quickly to compensate the wind when it would be better to not fly at all.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I don't mind flying with a steady wind. WHat I don't like are gusts. SO for me, I don't fly on days where the wind is gusting.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:18 AM
lownslo

About 15 mph is my MAX. I am not good with rudder and crosswinds. I have flown in 20 mph winds.... BUT these were right down the runway. Do as others have said, feel comfortable and confident or don't fly. When I first started about 3 years ago I could not visulize me flying in anything over 10 mph. It will be easier to fly in more wind as you gain skills and confidence......lownslo....
Old 04-03-2004, 07:38 AM
SENZA

I was flying my 80" cub one day few months ago the wind picked up while i was in the air,it can be a real challenge i tried 5 times to land it, it was so bad that you had to throttle up in to the wind so that it wouldn't get blown back wards and try to touch down there were times i went from 10ft almost straight down just to touch down. i gave up trying to land it and handed it to my buddy who also had a handful we finally got it down with no damage. i was walking to get the plane after touch down the wind just blew it back to me lol . I never want to experience that ever again $$$$ but we fly most of the time between 10-15 at the most, its not so much the wind that will bite yah its the gusts........ chk this tread out i made when it happend

click me www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1555591&key=
Old 04-03-2004, 07:52 AM
lownslo

This was exciting........... several times at our field last summer, the wind actually changed directions by 180 degrees!! I took off to the south, into about a 10 mph head wind. 10 minutes later, I landed FROM the SOUTH !! It was not a freak gust, as it was a steady change. About 5 minutes into the flight we all noticed the wind was now coming out of the north. This happened several times that day..... and several other days too. We have NO obstacles at our field.... very flat and open.
Most of that day the guys watching, would watch the wind sock for the guys flying. They would let them know if there was that change.....(in case they didn't notice).
..... lownslo
Old 04-03-2004, 09:11 AM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

"TOO MUCH WIND???"

I think it really all depends on the pilot's skill level. I always tell people I have trained that if you think it is too windy for you, then it probably is. Skip that day because you are not comfortable. Even if it isn't actually too windy for them, but they have to feel comfortable in flying and if not, a mishap could happen. I have a buddy that doesn't like to fly in wind over 10 mph, but that really limits flying at my field since we are on top of a hill. I personally don't mind some wind as long as it is not gusting to 30 mph. I have flown in 20-25 mph wind with no problem.

I recently flew my Fat Free Taco in 20 mph wind and it is a 25 size plane 3D plane. That was fun!!! If the person doesn't feel comfortable with wind, then they shouldn't fly in it. 25 size planes are more sensative in the wind as you would think, but it can be fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23766.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	118171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67208.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	118172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35517.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	118173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66395.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	118174  
Old 04-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pauluk2w

i need some advice. what wind speed would be considered too windy to fly???
This is a good question. I take students up (using the tandem transmitter and cord system) in winds up to about 20 mph, especially if they're not straight crosswinds. This would not be possible with the light park flyer type planes, but with your ordinary 40 or 60 size trainer it's doable, and good experience in the air.

I try to choose a day with a mild wind for the student's first landing. It's good to have an instructor around when you're learning about crosswind landings.

My club had a spring meeting a couple years ago, where the winds at the field were around 35 mph and a little gusty. Club president took his Sig Fazer up, had a rollicking good time. An elder member tried to take his Goldberg Extra 300 up, and it kept blowing over (it was a crosswind) before he could take off. Finally one of the guys walked the Extra out to the middle of the runway and it made it off the ground, and back down okay. Landings weren't pretty, though.

I like the challenge of landing in a stiff crosswind, but I choose one of my less expensive planes on those days.

Just my two cents worth,
Dave Olson
Old 04-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

What do you expect from Indiana, wait 15 more minutes and it may rain or snow!
Where do you fly???

ORIGINAL: lownslo

This was exciting........... several times at our field last summer, the wind actually changed directions by 180 degrees!! I took off to the south, into about a 10 mph head wind. 10 minutes later, I landed FROM the SOUTH !! It was not a freak gust, as it was a steady change. About 5 minutes into the flight we all noticed the wind was now coming out of the north. This happened several times that day..... and several other days too. We have NO obstacles at our field.... very flat and open.
Most of that day the guys watching, would watch the wind sock for the guys flying. They would let them know if there was that change.....(in case they didn't notice).
..... lownslo
Old 04-03-2004, 10:16 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

I LOVE WIND! But there is nothing better then a windless day. either way, i fly. if you learn to fly in the wind, then no wind is a breeze (no pun intended). Landing with 0 roll out is fun, not to mention the walking speed passes you can do!

sean
Old 04-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Scott Claboe

Yep,flying in wind is fun.With the right plane!We have had up to 20-25mph crosswinds.Makes for one tough landing.With my magic i don't care,but my patty does'nt like the crosswinds at all.Good learning experience.It's a real good time to learn your rudder.I do like when it's so windy you have to land half rudder with correcting aileron.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Live Wire

To much wind is when you go back where they were setting and they are all over the run way!
Old 04-03-2004, 01:38 PM
daveopam

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Wind blows all the time here. It's going to be 5-15mph on Sunday. Thats calm for us.
Like someone else said it's a combo of airplane and comfort level.

David
Old 04-03-2004, 02:32 PM
volkan

i just went flying today, in 17mph winds.
my advice is dont! almost crashed
Old 04-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Mudsurfer1234

the first time i ever flew, was on a buddy box, in 35 mph wind in 20 degree weather
Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

the first time i ever flew, was on a buddy box, in 35 mph wind in 20 degree weather
You are a true soldier...
Old 04-03-2004, 08:58 PM
jucava

I recently bought a wind meter and find out that I was flying sometimes in 24 mph wind and maybe some times more, my policy has been always: " If I can not keep a straight line during take off run (before rotation), then is too windy to fly".

Also I don't take out the touchy plane in these conditions, I get the Big Stik.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:38 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Heck! I am in Texas and the wind blows down here on the coast ALL the time.

..thats nothing, I once flew in a hurricane.