Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

If were your plane What

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

If were your plane What

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If were your plane What

I have seen a lot of advice on this forum. If it were your plane would you tell your self what to do. Experience speaks for it's self. Read all your instructions, use common sence , then ask your questions. and to those who give advice IT COULD BE YOUR PLANE.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:22 PM
taurus02914

Default RE: If were your plane What

I would think if you work on your own plane then you must be telling yourself what to do.
Most here seem to be pretty careful on the advice they give and if you read enough you will find most of the answers here are from experience.
Good bunch of guys here.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:09 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would NOT give anyone advice that I have not learned on my own, OR that I would be afraid to try with my own equipment.

Doing that is rather pointless because there's a good chance you're just hurting someone's experience or costing them money.

Sharing this hobby with others is one of the reasons I enjoy it, and giving bad advice doesn't help anyone. [&o]
Dennis-
Old 04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
phread59

I only reply with answers to questions I am sure I can help.

I occasionally will answer a question that I have heard many times the way to solve it. But I will also say that I am quoting someone else.

If I am not sure how to answer a question. Or do not have the knowledge I keep my trap shut. I try hard to help and not hinder.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-05-2004, 08:37 PM
CGCOMM3RET

As a newbe to this hobby, I have to agree with what is being said here. Everyone I have asked for help has answered. I also have a thread going over in the Glow Engines about the GMS .47 that I got off of eBay. I seem to be getting a lot of good info over there too.

I, for one, think that all the people on this thread are a GREAT HELP. I doubt that anyone would give advise that would deliberately destroy my equipment, unless I was like a certain person that I have not seen in this area for a while and did not want to listen to the advise, but kept asking questions anyway.

Larry
Old 04-06-2004, 12:36 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I've been on RCU for a few years now and I can't remember a post where someone intentionally gave bad advice (except in the form of an obvious joke.) However, you may receive two totally different answers to a question. This can be confusing at first, but everyone has their own unique experiences that influence their advice. There are a lot of very knowledgeable pilots on RCU. My advice (for what it is worth), is to get as many answers as possible and then filter out what makes the most sense to you. I'd also suggest forming specific questions that are not open ended. As an example, don't ask what is the best 2 stroke for my plane... you'll get a zillion answers. Instead, narrow you choice to two or three engines and ask for a comparison and be sure to include info on your intended use, i.e. the plane it will be on.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:42 AM
hookedonrc

Recently, I added a post to a subject on 'my experience', not pretending to be an expert. If I post an answer to a question, I will qualify it with what I have encoutered. I will not pretend to be something I am not. My answer appeared to be chastised because I was too inexperienced to answer. I only represented my experience and indicated that in the post. The reader (knowing my level) could choose to ignore entirely. If I had pretended to 'know everything' I could see that I was wrong, but I didn't. In other cases where I have no personal experience, I will let others answer.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Spaceclam

i would host a contest and see who could make the biggest mess by flying it into a powerline.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Askalon
My Feedback: (1)

kind of hard to give advice on something you have never done or experienced.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:34 PM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: Askalon

kind of hard to give advice on something you have never done or experienced.
Seen it here many times though. "I knew a guy who"........ or "i'm guessing that it"......probably.............
The internet is full of mis-information, always get three opinions, and double check anything that really matters.
Usually, top notch advice here, if it's way off, folks call you on it right away, and that's a good thing.

Jetts
Old 04-07-2004, 09:53 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

hey hooked,
I think I remember the incident you're referring to, and your post was fine.

This site like the rest of the world, is full of different types of people, and some of them aren't worth listening to. In the instance you mentioned, I'd classify the poster that chastised you as one of them.

I've never known you to express an opinion that you weren't justified in making. so don't worry about it.
Dennis-
Old 04-08-2004, 11:02 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks for the encouragement DB.. It is appreciated.

Mike
Old 04-09-2004, 05:28 AM
0ldog

" It is better to keep your mouth shut and be assumed a fool, than open it and remove all doubt. "
Old 04-09-2004, 09:43 AM
hookedonrc

If I had misrepresented anything, I would agree. However, my post was appropriate and correct for what the person was asking. Rather than take issue with anyone, I simply removed my post. I am not here to get into debates, I am here to learn beyond what I already know.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Spaceclam

guys, stop pickin on hookedonrc. i never saw the post but its over now, just stop the argument.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:21 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

guys, stop pickin on hookedonrc
I was wondering what this thread was "really" about. The question, or should I statement that started this thread really didn't make much sense to me. Leave the guy alone. He removed whatever he posted.
Joe
Old 04-09-2004, 04:53 PM
hookedonrc

DustOffUH1/Spaceclam: Thanks for the backup, but the post that DBCherry and I are talking about happened on another thread. Some smart off made a comment about those with little experience responding to the thread. I removed it because I was not exactly pleased with someone judging someone else without knowing them. You can hunt for my responses on this website and see that if I have a little info to give I try to help, but if am not an expert on what is being discussed I say so. I think that is what this particular thread is about. Funny thing though the person that made the sarcastic comments posted something in another thread that was way off. I could have added my 2 cents, but kept it to myself. Like I said, I don't come here to do anything but gain more knowledge and help others that have less experience than I. BTW: I still appreciate the support. Thanks.