Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Super Tigre G-61 Ringed, Best Prop?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Super Tigre G-61 Ringed, Best Prop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 03:23 PM
glafond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tigre G-61 Ringed, Best Prop?

I've seen a few posts on the subjects of prop material and size. My Super Tigre book recommends using either an 11x7 or an 11x8 prop. I hear that wood is not the way to go for a biginner pilot and I wanted to know what the most trusted prop materials are, and a good manufacturer of them. Also, do props usually come balanced or will it be necessary for me to balance them myself. Not sure of how to do that however. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:25 PM
glafond

Default RE: Super Tigre G-61 Ringed, Best Prop?

Oops, I also needed to add that this will be going into a Thunder Tiger Trainer 60. I'm in the process of building that now.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:19 PM
taurus02914

I would use the Master Airscrew 11x7 I have a couple of the same engines, most props need to be balanced, you can buy somthing as simple as a fingertip balancer Great Planes makes one the part # is gpmq5000 it costs about $4.50 very simple to use.

Master Airscrew
Top Flite
Zinger
APC
I think the reason for beginers not using wood is they break to easy and when you are learning to fly or land you tend to break props , also they can be very dangerous a small crack or split and it may shatter
GoodLuck
Old 04-03-2004, 04:29 PM
glafond

What is involved in actually balancing a prop? After you determine what side needs to loose weight, do you simply sand it a bit or something? With the Master Airscrew, do you use the glass filled composite variety?
Old 04-03-2004, 04:33 PM
taurus02914

Yes that is correct you will sand if you have a local hobby shop they should be able to show you exactly where to sand and how much, and yes that is the glass filled. You dont realy have to evan buy a balancer if you can get a look at the fingertip balancer you can make one very simple.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:08 PM
CougarRules

I have always used APC props i find them to be very quiet efficient props and although i propably should have never bothered balancing them always seem good from the packet.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Woody 51

An 11 x 7 is a bit small for a G61.

The ST G51 handles that same prop with ease.

The G61 is one powerhouse of an engine.

Try an APC 12 x 7.

It will bring the engine revs down a bit, (so its not screaming its head off) give you the same forward speed as an 11 x 7, with the added benefit of more climb power.

As for balancing, go to

http://www.bolly.com.au/book/content.html

and check out the chapter on "Propellor balancing, care, safety and mods."

All the info you need is in there.

ALL props should be balance checked before using for the 1st time.

It is very rare to have one that is perfectly in balanced, right out of the packet.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Mitty

I have an old style supertigre .61.Its S-series and head is dish shaped.Someone told me it was designed to use on a pattern airplanes .Iam using 11-7 or 11-7.5 .Now got a 12-6 for it but broke my spad before i had a chance to try it LOL

Fingertip balancer...ummm I don't trust it .Friction between finger and balancer way too much.
Air screw comes out of the box out of balance really bad.It seems that hole isn't centered in the hub.I might not ream them correct too but thats less likely [8D]. I have APC props,they coming out of the box pretty balanced but they are a little more expensive and breaks easier then master Airscrew.
I use a magnetic balancer where prop actually suspended on magnetic field.

Good luck with props.
Mitty
Old 04-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Woody 51

Hey Mitty, I got one of those old ST 61 S series as well. I have it installed in a Cub.
Not a high revver, but swings a big prop like a 4 stroke.
Its very reliable, idles all day and then transitions up to max revs sooo smoothly.
It flies the Cub just above idle.
Lovely engine.
Trouble is nowdays getting spares.
It was also available as a U Control engine and was a favourite with the Control Line guys, who seem to have gobbled up and stored all the spares when the engine went out of production.
It will take the spray bar from the modern ST carby, but such items as Piston Rings are just not available.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:15 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been balancing props by putting a piece of trim tape on the light blade. Same effect as painting blade tips, but is much quicker and very easy to get exact balance. Never had one come off yet...

Andy
Old 04-05-2004, 08:06 PM
phread59

12-6 minimum on that engine. I would say look for a 13-5, 13-4 if you can find one. You want a big diameter, low pitch prop. The bigger the diameter the more pulling power. The bigger the pitch the faster you go. With a trainer you want power not speed. Also a big diameter will help slow your landing approaches. Good luck with your Tiger.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: glafond

I've seen a few posts on the subjects of prop material and size. My Super Tigre book recommends using either an 11x7 or an 11x8 prop. I hear that wood is not the way to go for a biginner pilot and I wanted to know what the most trusted prop materials are, and a good manufacturer of them. Also, do props usually come balanced or will it be necessary for me to balance them myself. Not sure of how to do that however. Thanks.

I have flown Super Tigre engines since my first CL .35 back about 1960. I have flown .60 size RC STs since about 1973 and currently have several in the sport flying machines including a .61 Bluehead , non-schneurle (sp.?) baffled piston of 1974 vintage that runs very well, idles beautifully, and hauls the 600+ sq. ins. sporter around with authority. I use a 11.5 -7 wood prop on it.

There is no "BEST" prop for any specific engine. Each engine / airframe combination has a "best" prop for whatever you like to do. For example I had a Laser 200 replica of some 630 sq. ins wing area, with ST .61 BH . If I wanted to go rather fast, I used a 11/7.5 or a 11" cut to 10.5 with 8" pitch. That combination lacked vertical but was very speedy. Landing required an idle approach and glide-in on final. Then change to a 12-6, go slower, pull vertical much better, fly final with a tad of power, reduce power to idle during the round-out for a 3 point landing just like 1-1 scale.

For glow engines. I have always gone to the smaller prop theory. Glow engines are like the old (don't know about those since the '60s) Volkswagen engines. Rev 'em -- don't lug 'em. I've run STs .60 size engines with 11-7 in many a smaller pattern/scale model. I prefer wood props except for racing. The APC performs better for that than what I carve up. For everyday use the 11/7.5 is hard to beat in any sport/scale model. For serious aerobatics, I would suggest the 12-6 or even down to a 13-4 for experiment depending on the type and wing loading of your machine.

As a beginner, with a typical trainer, by all means start with a 12-6. I keep our club trainer up to date with an old OS .61 with an air-bleed throttle. 12-6 works just dandy.

You Seeee!!! Ask 10 RCers the same question and get 12 different answers. Ain't you happy?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Woody,

FYI, I have been on a recent odyssey to rebuild my ST S61 ringed. There are still some parts available through Tower Hobbies (though I know thats not in your neck of the woods). Specifically, the piston, liner, and piston rings are available as they are the same as on the current G61 edition (as confirmed by Bax on the ST manufacturers board). I ordered a new piston and ring. The ring shipped, but the piston is backordered supposedly due mid April.

If you like, I have a list I made up cross-referencing the parts lists for the current G-61 incarnation and the S-61 so I could see what should be readily available. Drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Duke